Author Topic: Hello from Washington, D.C.  (Read 1897 times)

Offline tinsmith

Hello from Washington, D.C.
« on: February 26, 2015, 07:07:01 AM »
Hello to all! I'm pushing 50 and returning to the hobby; been away for many years and have dug out all those WW1 kits from storage, with most of those models now too small for my middle-aged eyes... so, it will be ebay for that stuff, and on to 1/32! I'm patiently awaiting quite a few kits from NZ, and trusting that the dockworkers thing in CA is the cause of this multi-week delay -- Fokker D.VII (OAW)'s, Pfalz D.III's, and Pups. Wonderful info here: thank you for this site, Des!
~ Ben aka "tinsmith"

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Hello from Washington, D.C.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 07:11:38 AM »
Welcome back to the Hobby, Ben. Once I got back to serious modelling I made the same adjustment to 1:32 Scale for the same reason., and sold my stash of 1:48 Models! You'll find this Forum will definitely increase your enjoyment of the pastime.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 07:15:18 AM »
Welcome aboard, Ben!  Glad to have you with us.  In spite of being considerably older than you, my preferred scale is still 1/48, so how about posting the kits you're wanting to part with in our Trading Post section before going to ebay or at least giving us a link to your ebay stuff.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 07:34:49 AM »
Welcome Ben. Your story sounds like mine. I'm also pushing 50, have moved up to 1/32 scale, and have the same WnWs kits in the line up. My Pfalz is still on the way, but I've started the other two.

And may I recommend one thing that revitalized my modeling? Optivisors! Couldn't model without them!

George

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 09:24:57 AM »
Hello Ben and welcome to the forum, so nice to see you here. I'm looking forward to your participation with the forum and its very friendly members.

Des.

Just pushing 50, wow, you are only a young fella  ;) ;)  I'm nudging 65
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Matt Parvis

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 09:43:39 AM »
Ben,

Welcome to the site and back to modelling.  I'm up the road from you in MD, but don't hold that against me.

Matt
We won't bring the muskets, we won't cause the pain,
But we're good for some headaches, and tough to clean stains.

WarrenD

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 10:02:24 AM »
Welcome back Ben!

Warren

Offline tinsmith

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 03:52:41 PM »
Thank you to all for the friendly greetings: I plan to be here for a while!  Replies -- Bud: a while back I was bequeathed many boxes of books/kits/etc from the family of a modeler friend that "went West", and that lot (along with my collection dating back to the late 80's through 2000 or so) still needs to be sorted/parts-checked/photographed. Hopefully sometime before end-of-March?  At George: I was recently gifted an boxed/unused, vintage set of optivisors with multiple lenses :) and I have very good lighting.  And to Matt: I attended the Northern Virginia IPMS meeting in Fairfax earlier in the month, and I'm planning a visit to the regional in Richmond this upcoming Saturday -- are you going?  I plan to be there at some point that day.  Best to all! ~ Ben

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 09:35:15 PM »
Welcome Ben!  Good to have some "young" blood join us.
I've always wanted to say that, being one of the old croakers.
I know you will enjoy it here and feel right at home. I look
forward to seeing some of your work. 

Cheers,
Ernie :)

The new old guy, take two...

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 09:39:04 PM »
Can I share the welcoming sentiments of many others, Ben? It's a great place to be.
I'm
Best wishes from another of Ernie's "old croakers"

Nigel

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 10:54:27 PM »
Hi Ben and welcome to the site  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Matt Parvis

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 01:04:04 AM »
Ben, yes I will be at the Richmond show on Saturday.  I plan to enter some of my work, so I'll be there from early on until the end of the show.  It is one of my favorite shows of the year, with the location it is an easy drive from the DC area and from the Norfolk area, not to mention central Virginia, so there are generally lots of models on the contest tables, there is typically a good mix of vendors from high end professionals to individuals who are just looking to clear out the stash, the raffle is always pretty good and finally, the folks that run the show are good people and they do a good job of keeping things moving. 

Matt 
We won't bring the muskets, we won't cause the pain,
But we're good for some headaches, and tough to clean stains.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 03:35:09 AM »
Hi Ben,
 Welcome back to our superb hobby  ;)
Enjoy your time here.

Cheers,
Bob  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline tinsmith

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 06:51:01 PM »
Thanks to all; to Bob: I'll be looking into your buckles at some point, as I've just ordered the WNW Gotha -- next Winter's build!
Matt: I hope to run into you in Richmond...
~ Ben

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 05:46:18 AM »
Hallo Ben, welcome to the forum from Italy! I juped beyond the half-century last May so I'm going for 51!
I think your returning story is quite common here, I returned to modeling in 2011 ...

I quote Bud: my favourite scale is 48 as well so I would consider some of the stuff you'd decide to get rid of...