Author Topic: Hello from Las Vegas, Nevada  (Read 941 times)

Offline vegasken

Hello from Las Vegas, Nevada
« on: September 28, 2023, 04:45:59 AM »
I've been browsing for several weeks now and thought I should introduce myself. I've lived in Las Vegas my whole life except for a couple of years spent in West Germany in the late 80's and then 4 years of school in Denver, Colorado. Mine is the typical story of building models as a kid, life getting too busy for a long time while the wife and I raised 5 children, and now that the youngest has left the home I have time to build models again.
I primarily build 1/72 WW2 up to current stuff but have recently gotten the bug to build WW1 subjects. I'm about finished with a 1/72 Revell Nieuport 28, but have found that the decals that were with the kit are yellowed quite badly and cracked. I've got them taped up to the window in the sun but I'm not sure they'll ever get white again. I was hoping to do the markings for Douglas Campbell. I'm amazed that no one makes aftermarket decals for his Nieuport 28.
Anyway I love the website and the wealth of information to be found here. Thanks for having me!

Ken

Offline ScottJ

Re: Hello from Las Vegas, Nevada
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2023, 08:33:24 AM »
Greetings Ken, I'm also very new to the site (joining earlier this month) so not sure if I'm qualified to give you an official "welcome" as I'm still stumbling around myself trying to figure out the site and absorb all the information.  But as I'm just up the street from you (relatively) in the SLC area I thought I should say Hello.
Glad you decided to take a venture into the realm of WWI aircraft, I also started on the old Revell kits back in the late 60's.  If you decide you enjoy the experience and want to add to your collection than there's a whole lot of other selections out there to chose from, options have expanded greatly from the old Revell and Airfix kits and models in 1/72 scale are well represented.
Good luck on the Nieuport and I look forward to seeing it in the Completed section.
Take care
Scott
You can't grub with the sparrows when you've flown with the hawks... 
E.P. Janney?

Offline enathan

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2023, 09:15:14 AM »
Hello Ken,
If you are willing to opt for No.12 of the 94th Aero Squadron instead of Campbell's No.10, I would suggest buying a later kit for the decals. These kits were produced at least till 2008, they are very cheap on Ebay and the decals should be in good condition. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 10:24:53 AM by enathan »

Online Davos522

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 10:18:48 AM »
Hi Ken, welcome to the fold from another relative newcomer... you get to feeling at home here really quick, though!

All best,

Dutch

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023, 10:25:54 AM »
Welcome aboard Ken! Without intending to throw "shade" on other scales it's nice to see another 1/72 builder on the forum. I'm excited to see some of your work!
Zac in NZ

Offline djuggie

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 03:57:54 AM »
Ken,
Welcome to the group from another newbie.  Your decal in the window is a good one, especially where you live.  Lots o sunshine.  Most of my kits are very old and the decals are tired.  After the window treatment, all of my decals get two coats of future floor wax to make sure they come out of the water as one piece instead bits and pieces.  It is not a good thing to watch a grown man cry.  Beside, the tears activate decals you are not ready to apply.  Look forward to seeing your work.
Dennis

Online DaddyO

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2023, 04:11:20 AM »
Welcome on board from another recent (ish) returnee and 72nd fan  ;D

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline vegasken

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2023, 05:36:52 AM »
Thanks all for the welcome! Here's my progress so far:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 06:15:42 AM by vegasken »