Author Topic: 1/48 Blue Max/Eduard Sopwith Camel "Comic" Nightfighter  (Read 14426 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: 1/48 Blue Max/Eduard Sopwith Camel "Comic" Nightfighter
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2013, 06:05:58 AM »
Thanks, fellas!  It's so good to have you along during these busy holiday times.
I've got all the stickers on and I was a bit disappointed to discover that the white is a little out of register.  The decals are from Fantasy Print Shop of Pheon fame.  Their decals are always absolutely perfect, so I was surprised by this.  If you look closely, you'll be able to spot just a touch of white here and there where it shouldn't be.

Not a big deal, though.  Just a little touch up with the Brunswick green and all is well.

Against the Brunswick Green, the blue of the roundels seems kinda bright, but when you look at the underside, it looks okay. 

Now for some post shading and weathering.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline aviator01

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2013, 07:59:13 AM »
Hi Bud,
your work on the decals looks really fantastic, all in all an impressive build. Keep on.

greetings ro
On the bench: 1/48 Revell (Eduard) Bristol F.2B Fighter

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2013, 08:03:02 AM »
  Bud,
Man do I ever love than Brunswick Green. That is a Floquil paint right. Excellent paint but as others have said it 'll do some strange thing if the thinning is off a bit. Luckily it didn't crazy the plastic on you. Floquil is some hot stuff too thick of a coat without a good primed undersurface will do a real number on the plastic.

The decals look fantastic my old friend.That was is news to me about the Fantasy Print Shop decal being a tiny bit off register. Like you I've never encountered such an issue with any of their excellent decals. Looking forward to seeing what's is to come on this gem. Keep up the outstanding works!

Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
Happy New Year to You and Yours
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2013, 08:23:07 AM »
Looking fantastic Bud, the green is superb and your decal application is spot on, pity about the white being slightly out of register but it appears you solved that issue quite easily. The under surface also looks excellent, I have to keep reminding myself that this is a 1:48 scale model, looking forward to seing more.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2013, 06:10:04 PM »
Hello Bud,

I love these decals which you have put so wel in place. Overall this is such a nice plane and so well painted. It's lovely! But isn't it always so in your builds Bud? Congratulations!

Kind regards my friend
Patrick

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2013, 09:01:39 PM »
Your paintwork is superb Bud!  Excellent work with the decals.  She's really
turning into a beauty.  Great choice of paint schemes.  A real head-turner!
The Pennsylvania Railroad had a formula for Brunswick green...1 can of black
with 2 drops of green. ;) ;D  Looks much better on your Camel, though. ;D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2013, 09:37:25 PM »
Bud,
Awesome work as always! Your decal application is flawless!! It is amazing how the back ground color changes the look of the roundel!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2013, 12:00:48 AM »
As always Bud, just beautiful!  This is a great scheme. I think the decal colors look fine.  I suspect that the perceived brightness of the blue on the dark surfaces is just an optical illusion based on the contrast of the nearly black background, particularly since the blue looks right on the CDL lower surfaces.

Ernie, kudos for the PRR reference.  :D. I've heard that one before, and the kernal of truth in it always makes me smile.  :)

This is going to be a very fine model Bud.  Outstanding work my friend!

Regards,

Bob

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2013, 12:50:52 AM »
Very pleasing to the eye Bud. Great colours and beautiful work; and a subject  completely different! Looking forward to seeing more.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2014, 06:03:11 AM »
Thank you, my friends, and Happy New Year to you all!  Bob and Ernie, I grew up looking at those PRR Brunswick green locomotives on the east/west track along Rte 30 just a block away from my house.  I think it looks pretty good on that engine, too.  I think you're right about the formula, Ernie.

Just a very small update, guys.  Since the roundels were so opaque, I had to match up the pre-shading on the wing by post-shading the roundels.

Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2014, 07:54:09 AM »
The shaded roundels look perfect Bud, and thanks for that shot of the cenitpede! ;D  Looks black to me!  ;)  Where did you grow up along Route 30?  I'm currently in Lancaster, but have lived in York and Gettysburg, and often travel 30 to West Chester as well.  A familiar corridor for me, but nio Pennsy stuff since I was a child.  :( 

Regards,

Bob   

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2014, 08:06:28 AM »
Thanks, Bob!  I grew up in Downingtown.  Went to college at Kutztown, then after stint in the military, I moved to Lititz and worked at the Lancaster County airport for a few years.  While living there, I bought all my modeling stuff at the Flight Line in Lancaster.  Familiar with it?
Cheers,
Bud

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2014, 08:25:45 AM »
The post shading on the roundels looks just right Bud. You have a good eye
for stopping at the right time.  Great build to follow!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline mc65

« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2014, 08:31:14 AM »
wonderful, a beautiful rendering of a very difficult camo! ;)

Offline aviator01

« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2014, 10:05:26 AM »
Hi Bud,
your post shading is really excellent. Very interesting build.

greetings ro
On the bench: 1/48 Revell (Eduard) Bristol F.2B Fighter