Author Topic: 1/33 ModelArt Morane-Saulnier Type L Parasol, paper kit  (Read 6170 times)

Offline rhallinger

Re: 1/33 ModelArt Morane-Saulnier Type L Parasol, paper kit
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2020, 11:28:40 PM »
Thanks Rick and Dan.  I appreciate it.

With the tail skid in place and finished, it was time to complete the other end of the fuselage, which was as simple as gluing the engine/cowl assembly to the firewall.

The undercarriage is a set of paper parts reinforced with brass wire bent to the appropriate shape, and axles of brass rod in thicknesses specified in the instructions.  There is also a paper A-support for the landing gear.  I have used my Waldron punch and die set frequently with the paper kit, as getting a clean, round, small hole in paper is difficult otherwise.  That's how the A-support bracket was holed to accept the axle. The main landing gear struts were cut out (front and back) and the wire reinforcement attached with CA to one side and then the other paper side glued in place.  These were narrow struts, so there were some seam gaps that needed to be filed with putty and sanded.  I used Tamiya Black acrylic to paint them.  Here's how things came out:

The main rigging A-support from the kit was added and everything was rigged with EZ-Line:

Up on its feet!

Everything looks way too clean to my eye, so I'll have to dirty things up with chalks soon. 

I'm cheating on the wheels to save time, and using a spare set of Tom's Nieuport wheels which look the part.  I'll try Dan's technique for balsa wheels next time out, maybe. ;D

Dan, you'll get to see the wing next time out. ;)

Cheers,

Bob

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2020, 12:34:15 AM »
Hot damn...looks so nice on it's feet.  Those wheels look great though!  I've been known to add a WNW plastic prop when my attempts at the paper ones go awry. 

Great looking machine!

Here come the wings...Dan  :D

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2020, 01:36:20 AM »
Cowling, engine, gear struts and wheels look amazing in place! Lovely build to date!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2020, 01:53:09 AM »
Thanks Dan and Rick.  Dan, I'm planning on using a spare plastic prop that matches as well, since my patience does have limits. ;)  I'll experiment with paper ones later.

Rick, thank you for your kind appraisal.  I'm really enjoying this build.  There's something exciting about learning and using new skills, and the paper kits give fairly quick visual gratification, since you don't have to wait for paint and markings! ;D

Best regards,

Bob

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2020, 03:47:10 AM »
Good plan, Bob.  I used a plastic on my Avro Spider for that reason.  I think the best prop I've made so far was for the Nieuport.  They can be tricky. WWII props aren't as bad for some reason...The current Fokker uses multiple layers glued together so we'll see how that looks when done. 

This will be a great finish!
Dan

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2020, 08:52:23 AM »
I'm impressed with your work on this kit , very well done so far .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2020, 05:31:07 PM »
It isn't quite clear from the pictures - there is a gap between the cowl and the fuselage sides. Yours appear to be solid segments of a circle. That allows the cooling air to exit the cowl

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2020, 10:59:50 PM »
Good observation Richard.  Yes, I left the backing card to which I had attached the cowling (for construction integrity) in place and just cut off the bottom, then painted the rear of the area between fuselage sides and cowling black to hide it--but not from your sharp eyes!  Honestly, I didn't realize that was supposed to be open on the prototype, and all the photos I have in the Datafile only show black darkness/shadow in that area, so nothing is really visible much.  With a paper cowl, I think it would have been difficult to achieve the proper shape and strength/stability without the backer, particularly with my plan to use putty, auto primer and sanding to smooth the surface of the cowl.  I think I would have struggled without the backer, at least at my stage of paper modeling skills, but I'm sure there is a way to do it right with paper.  The kit instructions have no backing for the cowl, but simply indicate a brass rod between the bottom tips of the cowl.  Maybe I'll try that on the next paper Type L I build! ;) ;D  Thanks for the information; always good to know how things are supposed to work or be configured.

Cheers,

Bob 

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2020, 11:52:33 PM »
On with the wing (literally!).  First, while it was still flat on the work surface, I applied some subtle rib-shading with chalks.  It doesn't show up well in photos, but it's there, and makes the wing surface look much better.

\

Next, after realizing that the brass rod called for in the instructions for the struts would be difficult to attach without soldering pins to each strut (and my soldering skills being meager, despite the success with the tail skid), I opted for Evergreen styrene rod instead, with which I could more easily drill out the ends and add brass wire attachment pins.  The wing is so light that plastic should work fine.  Here is the process:

All of a sudden I was out of excuses (Have you ever put off a modeling step you are nervous about until you've completed everything else you can easily do first?), and the jig appeared on my bench and after a bit of fiddling and adjustment of attachment pins, the wing was attached to the struts and fuselage.  Hooray! ;D

Although the camera angle distorts things a bit, the A-strut is pretty well lined up on center, and the wing is square in all dimensions.  A miracle! ;D ;) 

All is solid and aligned out of the jig as well:

Here she is on her feet, withe the final support struts in place.  I fashioned a non-prototype pully-like cap the the apex of the main struts, to hold the EZ-Line rigging in place on that point, and CA'ed it in place.  Ready to rig!

I forgot about the undercarriage bomb rack (not a part of the kit), but I'll do that next time, before rigging.

Cheers,

Bob

Offline Radarman

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2020, 02:14:35 AM »
Bob,
You "Paper Boys" are really adding some great builds to the forum. Keep up the great work!

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2020, 02:36:48 AM »
I'm just stunned at how this is turning out! I've been on tenterhooks, because getting that wing into place was always the danger zone with a model of this type - and I can see how a card model really scores over heavier plastic in this regard.
Fabulous work!

Mark

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2020, 05:02:30 AM »
Thanks Kevin and Mark.  I, too, am pleasantly surprised by how quickly (and relatively smoothly) this build has gone.  It's really looking like a Parasol now!  ;D

Cheers,

Bob

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2020, 09:06:12 AM »
There it is!  Love the wing.  I do think playing around with some post shading on these is indeed useful.  I fear, however, that I've been spoiled by Matt77!
Dan

Offline smperry

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2020, 09:28:30 AM »
Is that the Eduard kit?
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2020, 10:49:01 AM »
Thanks Dan, and sp thanks for that tip of the hat. ;D

Bomb rack, some dirt, then rigging.  Almost There!

Cheers,

Bob