Author Topic: Scale Modeling versus Kit Assembling  (Read 2338 times)

Offline dirk

Re: Scale Modeling versus Kit Assembling
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 06:12:15 AM »
Hi Bob,

thanks for the topics and thanks to everyone for this interesting discussion. In my opinion, we came to the point, that our hobby found its own industry due to increasing demand. One point might be that a lot of people got increasing interest on our subjects due to companies like Wingnut Wings. Its our credit that a lot of people try their best on those kits while seeing those finished aircrafts. Take for example Richard Alexanders Customer Models topic on Wingnuts side or Bretts Hyperscale Gallery and you know what I mean. Lots of people with business interests feel that there is a market for what we are doing for decades and so aftermarket products are thrown into the market for prices that double the cost for the kit easily. As we got older our income increases proportional to our skills and standards. And on the other hand: As more as we are willling to pay for turnbuckles, engine parts and seatbelts, the more our skills are no longer the only way to turn a kit into a superdetailled replica.

So that's the paradox we have to face and I assume that there will be the point, when low-cost, selfmade solutions will be a attitude and league on its own... So do we need a change in our work ethic and don't we organize ourselfs in forums like this to discuss topics like this?

With kind regards,

Dirk
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 08:30:30 PM by dirk »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 11:48:30 AM »
I would like to thank everyone for approaching this topic in a very respectful and courteous manner, the responses posted here reflect the maturity and compassion possessed by our members and highlights the comradery this forum harbours. The reaction to the initial post makes me feel very proud and overwhelmed by the caring and honest nature that has been exhibited by our members.

Des -  Administrator. 
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

WarrenD

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 10:36:46 PM »
I would like to thank everyone for approaching this topic in a very respectful and courteous manner, the responses posted here reflect the maturity and compassion possessed by our members and highlights the comradery this forum harbours. The reaction to the initial post makes me feel very proud and overwhelmed by the caring and honest nature that has been exhibited by our members.

Des -  Administrator.

Des,
       I am pleased too Des. I was hesitant, fearful that folks would think I was trying to be a troll which was not the case, just trying to promote discussion about our hobby and our views on our little bit of insanity out here on the fringe.

Warren

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 04:55:33 AM »
I never got involved purely because I think theres no difference, we all buld for pleasure, all want to share and encourage one another, Even as a seasoned builder I still pick up pointers from the new and less adventurous amongst our ranks.

Modelling is modelling, I/we/you build to a level you are happy/comfortable with and some don't wish to spend hours adding wotnts and dingdongs. But we should all encourage oneanother. I know those that can take critisism and pointers well and others wher I personally wouldnt say if I knew something was amiss, Not unless the person posted saying as I do All comments and critisms happily recieved.

All spelling mistakes completely unintentional too  ;D

Anyway heres to a wonderful years modelling ahead no matter what level.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 05:20:01 AM »
I also think individually we are our own biggest critics, so we don't necessarily need faults pointing out.  For example, I may show a pic and say I'm not 100% happy with the paint job, whilst at the same time requesting advice from the forum.  In that way I can receive criticism without feeling criticised.

I am very grateful for the willingness members have here to share techniques.  We all establish what will work best for our own circumstances and abilities, but the advice here gives more options and opportunities to learn.

Offline skeeterbuck

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 12:07:49 AM »
I look at our hobby as a way to relax and get away from the stress that normal modern living imposes on us. I build to satisfy myself. In my local modeling chapter of the IMPS. Some of the members build kits with the goal of entering them in contest to win awards. That's how they get satisfaction from the hobby. For me that just adds additional stress to the hobby that I just as well avoid.

Are they taking the right or wrong approach?... Am I?... I would answer "no" to both questions. Whatever way you enjoy the hobby is the right approach for you.

In reference to Scale Modeling vs. Kit Assembly, if the kit is well detailed and overall accurate I will most likely build it straight out of the box, keeping in mind that even building out of the box requires skill in getting the paint and decals applied correctly, seams filled correctly, etc. I usually will use any product that helps me build a better model. For example, In my current build, I making a pair of German MG's in 1/48 scale and rolling the jackets in PE and adding several other bits for added detail. That's about as fiddly as I will go. Any more and the relaxation turns to frustration. A little frustration is sometimes good  because it challenges us to raise our modelling skills to overcome it. Too much though can just take all the satisfaction away and that no fun at all.  :(

Chuck

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 01:52:31 AM »
My New Years resolution was - as far as here is concerned - "Put my money where my mouth is"

Steve

Dekenba

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 03:20:56 AM »
Personally, I just love the AM stuff that's out there. I really enjoy putting together a package of a kit, decals, books & magazines for research and AM to add extra detail and personalise a model - Taurus, Eduard & HGW stuff abounds in my stash, I've not got a model that's not without AM.

Having said that, Des's build logs on his website show what is possible without AM - but I don't feel I have the time nor skills to match Des, so I'm quite happy to put my hands up & cheat a little bit!

And I suppose that therein lies the attraction of our hobby and how it manages to appeal to a wide range of builders & budgets. It's possible to build a show stopper straight out of the box, or make a completely unique build with oodles of AM, whatever your mood takes you.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 03:56:58 PM »
i totally see your point in your earlier post warren. i think sometimes we are to inclined to just give an attaboy when we could give more constuctive commentary. i would only do this if like jamo said the poster requests this type of comment or it was one of my close pals that ive been interacting with for many years. i personally would prefer if someone would point out an error that i had not noticed. or even suggest a different technique etc. but some guys arent as open to this. also it would be terrible to discourage the more novice modellers by what could be perceive by some as insult. so its a slippery slope but i think we basically do a decent job of helping one another out here. alot better than at other forums ive been a member of. thanks to des we have a sit dedicated to modelling ww1 aircraft exclusively. thats just great in my book.