Author Topic: WnW Hannover Cl.II finished (with a footnote)  (Read 22221 times)

Bughunter

Re: WnW Hannover Cl.II
« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2021, 08:04:05 AM »
Gary, you made a great masking and paint job! I like also you selection of color shades.
After a fantastic inside now a great outside finish.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2021, 11:27:55 PM »
The painted Lozenge fuselage is extremely well done! I am impressed by your results.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2021, 03:20:59 AM »
Wow, what a great job on the fuselage.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2021, 08:45:31 AM »
Thanks to everyone who commented on my fuselage - many tweaks were needed to get the colours and shapes balanced.

I used Aviattic 5-colour faded lozenge decals for the flying surfaces, and unfortunately there was no cookie-cutter type available for this model. The larger sections were not hard to manage for the wing sections, but adding the rib-tapes and surrounds were a bit of extra work. The photo below shows progress on one of the lower wings. I used the WnW decals as a template to cut the shapes. Although the rib-tapes do follow the moulded lines, they can appear crooked to the eye because of the camouflage. I've been through a number of new, sharp #11 blades on this project for sure  :)
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2021, 09:50:55 PM »
Looking good Gary !

Do you re-sharping your blades ? I have a small sharpening stone and when I have lots of cutting such as rib tapes , after a few guts I make a few passes on the stone keeping the blade sharp .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #110 on: April 21, 2021, 02:09:44 AM »
Looking good Gary !

Do you re-sharping your blades ? I have a small sharpening stone and when I have lots of cutting such as rib tapes , after a few guts I make a few passes on the stone keeping the blade sharp .

Alexis

Thank you Alexis. The idea of re-sharpening the blades is a good one! I should give it a try. I do have an old ceramic Oxygen Sensor probe given to me by a fellow worker at my old job - he made knives and claimed it was a fine sharpening tool. I'll try that.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline DaveB

« Reply #111 on: April 21, 2021, 03:50:04 AM »
Wow!

Amazing work so far, Gary.  I admire your patience in masking and painting the lozenge pattern to the fuselage - looks great.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2021, 06:32:05 AM »
The lozenge is looking good Gary! Keep up the Great work!!
RAGIII

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2021, 09:32:01 AM »
Dave and Rick - thanks for that!

While building this project I've been referring to Ray Rimell's modelling book on the Hannover, and finding some very good tips. I typically wouldn't have bothered dressing up the observer's gun mount, but after reading about what Ray did, and seeing a drawing of how it actually looked, I decided to add some small mods to the kit parts.

The small springs were made from wrapping copper wire (salvaged from an electrical cord) around a #79 drill bit. The wingnuts were from some ModelKasten details I had in the spares box. Also added was a wire grab handle that has locating holes, but no handle included in the kit (?). I also cut the locking handle from the side and articulated it back a few degrees. They seem to be mounted on different sides depending on what references you use.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline mgunns

« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2021, 03:13:26 AM »
Nice bit of work on the springs there Gary.   That's a real fiddly bit of plastic to put those springs on and it adds some real interest to that portion.  Very nice.  The brass handle is a nice touch as well and of course the Wingnut!  A visual pun and another nice touch.   Good ideas for my next Hannover build.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2021, 11:23:22 AM »
Nice bit of work on the springs there Gary.   That's a real fiddly bit of plastic to put those springs on and it adds some real interest to that portion.  Very nice.  The brass handle is a nice touch as well and of course the Wingnut!  A visual pun and another nice touch.   Good ideas for my next Hannover build.

Thanks Mark - I find the copper wire very handy for adding the odd detail here and there. I spent a bit of time today with some of it making those "cages" for the German airspeed indicators. They just don't look right without something protecting the rotary cups. Not as nice as Gaspatch, but quicker and cheaper.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2021, 11:41:24 AM »
Excellent job on the details Gary . The cage around the airspeed cups is a added touch . Also like the springs you made and those along can be a challenge handling them afterwards .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline mgunns

« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2021, 05:15:42 AM »
I can see where that microscope is paying dividends in areas other than figure painting.  That is a real challenge to add that to the air speed anemometer and it turned out great.  Gives me an idea. :-\
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Bughunter

« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2021, 05:44:05 AM »
Gary, the gun ring shows a lot of nice parts and the springs are a very nice addition!
The ring looks very common to my recent Halberstadt CL.II build, the part with the springs was one block of plastic in the kit :-\ (so I made a new gun mount). What a nice amount of details in the WNW kits - I'm always impressed!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2021, 06:34:06 AM »
Outstanding  detail work on the ring and the  cage for the cups .
RAGIII