Author Topic: Wicker seat  (Read 1508 times)

Offline robvd

Wicker seat
« on: August 21, 2014, 02:21:07 AM »
hello,
does anybody knows where to obtai 1/48 and 1/32 Wicker seats.

Or maybe how to make them

Thanks in advance :)

Rob

Offline Vickers

Re: Wicker seat
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 02:37:26 AM »
Brian Fawcett has his own online store now, and makes a 1/32nd resin seat intended for the DH.2, but not in 1/48th:

http://www.fawcettmodelsandpatterns.co.uk/1-32-scale-resin-detail-correction-parts

Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline davecww1

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 12:34:35 PM »
I know that Mike West at Lone Star Models made some in 1/48 scale although I do not know if they are still available.

Offline robvd

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 05:41:09 PM »
Thank you both,

I will write to both of them

With regards

Rob :)

Offline davecww1

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 09:55:16 AM »
Here is a link to the Lonestar seats, unfortunately the minimum shipping is higher than the pair of seats, but he has lots of other nice resin stuff... http://www.lonestarmodels.com/conversions-1-48.html
Scroll all the way down the page, the British wicker seats are at the bottom.

Dave

Offline robvd

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 03:39:39 PM »
Thanks for the replies,
I will contact Lone Star next month or so.
Right now I am looking forward to receiving the 1/48 Gotha G-V from AZ Models.
When i received it I will start looking at wath accessories I need for all the kits I recently purchased.

With Regards
Rob

Online Dirigible-Al

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 05:12:23 PM »
Hi Rob

I have seen people actually weave very thin wire to make wicker seats which would work well in 1/32 but I personally would not attempt it in any smaller scale. That method is if you have pleanty of time on your hands but if you want something made quicker I have two methods I have tried.

The first is to use a kit seat but thinned down. Then cut some woven material out, paint it a very light beige and glue it to the seat. The put a thin darker wash over it to bring out the weave pattern. I find this does not work with cotton or natural fibre based fabrics as little borbles on the surface spoil the effect and I have not found a way of getting them off despite trying several things, the stuff that works the best is 100% nylon or plastic weave like you would find on sports bags or anoraks. Just be aware not all have a weave pattern.

The easiest way is to use a small sheet of lead but this will give you very fat sides, OK if the top and back of the seat cannot be seen or if it is a pigean box or something else that does not require a thin edge. Score verticaly down the lead with a strong but blunt metal object making the marks side by side. Lightly score across horizontally with a very sharp blade, these need to as close to eack other as possoble or else you will have something that looks more like a radiator grill than wicker (that said this method works well on them too). Paint light biege then wash with a darker colour. Sounds simple but it does look effective.

Hope this helps, Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 06:45:09 PM »
In 1/32 scale it isn't particularly difficult to weave your own seat, just need to use the right materials. I have built three, each one better than the last.

Here are my first two efforts, the first one used copper wire and I made a few errors in the design but it proved the feasibility.

Here is the third one which went into the Bristol F2B

The third seat doesn't have a solid base, just a wire frame filled in with woven monofilament. The kit's seat cushion fills the empty space in the seat bottom.

Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 07:01:25 PM »
Excellent work making the seat James.

I also made my own seat for my WnW Bristol F2b, it took a little bit of working out but wasn't extremely difficult, just takes time.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 03:31:33 AM »
There is some breathtaking work here James and Des. Thanks for sharing it with us here. I must go back and check your build on the Brisfit, Des. It was always one of my favourites.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline robvd

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 06:39:26 AM »
woe what a superb seat  I hope that I can make something like it oneday.
 As mentioned in my introduction I mainly did build ww2 aircraftfor many years and  I find out that now  I am starting to come back to WW1 aircraft also that  I need to learn again other techniques But I feel that eventhough the approach to building the models is in some ways very different it is also very rewarding when it is done.
I hope to learn a lot
Anyway thank you all for the information shared.

With regards

Rob