Author Topic: WnW 1/32 DFW C.V (late)  (Read 15492 times)

Online Borsos

Re: WnW 1/32 DFW C.V (late)
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2016, 08:42:45 AM »
Thanks a lot Gary, yes it helps. I think I moistured the aeras too much.
Best wishes
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2016, 09:40:28 AM »
Gary,
   How long do you let your Tamiya dry before you use the damp brush chipping method on it, I find if it`s completely dry (like overnight) I have to scratch it to break the surface to get the technique to work but I don`t use the future over the base coat as you do. Your lower wing metal panels look absolutely great to me BTW.
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2016, 09:38:55 PM »
Thanks for explaining your method Gary! I hope to try this and Buds Shaving Cream method someday!
RAGIII
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 12:56:36 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online gedmundson

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2016, 12:20:07 PM »
My pleasure - always interested to share ideas.

Lance - you ask a very good question, and it's hard to answer! There are so many variables using this method. I can never remember if I go at it very soon after the painting of the colour layer after the hairspray, or is it a few days later??? I typically would attempt to create the effect within a day of spraying the colour coat. And it's a fairly thin one. And I use Tamiya brand thinner with my colour coat- is that a consideration, who knows!?

It's best to experiment on an older model first. I used an old Italeri Horch 1/35 staff car originally painted dark grey, and did a winter white wash on it. Used varying amounts of hairspray, overcoat, then decided how much water to put on the brush. The longer the water has a chance to soak the surface, the more paint will lift off. I have to say that too much of a wet scrubbing brush will peel off too much paint, so you have to be gentle, careful, and patient. In the end I still experiment with this - and ended up stumbling my way through this one too, to be honest  ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2016, 12:46:06 PM »
I always do the chipping step as soon as the color coat has flash dried. Then I mist the surface with water and drag very gently over the surface with the point or points of very sharp tweezers. Using tweezers vs. a knife allows more variation in the kinds of marks. Where you drag is by and large where the chips will occur. Finally I go over the surface with a moistened, stiff bristle brush, which is when the chips actually happen...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 12:50:31 PM by Bo »

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2016, 02:41:11 PM »
   Bo, the method you describe is much the same as mine. The chipping is caused by the water dissolving the hairspray and allowing the top coat to "chip" away. I use both a metal scraper, be it a knife or something duller like a small screwdriver or just a very stiff bristled brush to break the top coat surface, apply water and "work" the area carefully to get the desired wear/chipping. As both of you mention, it can get away on you real fast if you over do the water or the brush! The only failures I've had were the results of applying the final or top coat over the hairspray too soon, that gets really ugly and costs a few days of refinishing.
   Thanks for sharing your methods and thoughts on this; there's more then one way to skin the proverbial cat as the saying goes.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline UFAG

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2016, 07:37:09 AM »
Detail and weathering, beautifull..!!

Online ondra

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2016, 10:02:23 PM »
Usually I am not a fan of weathering on WWI aircraft (due to their rather short lifetime), but in case of your builds, I have to say it really looks the thing. Great job!

Cheers

Ondra

Online gedmundson

« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2016, 07:01:41 AM »
I was all ready to start putting the wing rigging onto my model today, making a good start with my first two EZ Line wires.

But studying the reference photos, there appears two mis-placed tie-points on each of the lower wings of the model. The base of the outer struts has an outside point moulded into the wing, to which I faithfully added a loop and turnbuckle. This tie point didn't exist on the aircraft, and the points that make the lower part of the outer strut "X" bracing have to be re-situated. I also have to add the lower ties for all of the "X" bracing between the rest of the struts. Not too easy, since the top wing is now firmly glued in place.

Prsemyslaw Litewka (PrzemoL) made this correction on his Polish version of the aircraft - but I've only just discovered this :-( So it's back to some minor surgery to correct my project for now.

Cheers,
Gary
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 07:48:14 AM by gedmundson »

Online gedmundson

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2017, 05:54:40 AM »
A few details are being completed as this one is getting closer. The silver appearance of the back of the Parabellum is just the light glinting. Had to dig out the pastel chalks for the exhaust stack and wheels.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2017, 08:28:49 AM »
Excellent update, Gary!  Love those wheels.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2017, 01:06:26 PM »
Beautiful!

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2017, 03:59:53 PM »
Terrific details! Beautiful build, Gary.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Online Borsos

« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2017, 11:19:39 PM »
Really nice detail parts that show your great weathering skills!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2017, 01:05:53 AM »
As stated by others really great looking detail parts.  Love what you have done thus far.