Author Topic: Nice place, Des. Where's the beer?  (Read 5257 times)

Offline Dal Gavan

Nice place, Des. Where's the beer?
« on: April 29, 2012, 10:25:13 PM »
G'day, All.

Des, thanks for inviting me.  I see a lot of familiar names and I look forward to following their builds.

To introduce myself- I'm Australian, living in Queanbeyan and working in Defence.   I was lured into WWI by the WingNut Wings Pfalz DIII (I wanted to miimise the amount of rigging I had to do) and after reading Des' site and GWITA.  It's taken me 12 months so far and I've about 1/3 finished the kit- it's been an enjoyable learning process in using wire, plastic, fishing line and photoetch to try to emulate the work of other modellers (Greg J, RagsIII, Bud, etc). It's taken me right out of my comfort zone (90mm white metal figures and 1/48 WWII aircraft).  What was going to be a "one off" has grown and I now have six kits, from WNW, Roden and Hobbycraft, so I suppose the bug has bitten! 

Cheers.

Dal.

Offline Whiteknuckles

Re: Nice place, Des. Where's the beer?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 10:36:20 PM »
Hi Dal and welcome :)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 11:16:47 PM »
Hi Dal, welcome to the forum.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 11:34:50 PM »
Hello Dal,

Good that you joined us. Grand bunch here.

Paddy
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 03:40:42 AM »
Hey, Dal.  Glad you made it, mate.  I look forward to seeing that Pfalz finished.
I know what you mean about the bug biting.  I build 1/48 scale exclusively (well, almost), then my wife got me the WNW Ninak.  Now I have 3 WNW kits in the stash.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 07:28:01 AM »
Welcome aboard, Dal.
Enjoy!

;) ;) ;)
BVB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 07:38:47 AM »
Hello Dal. Enjoy!!!

Steve

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 08:12:22 AM »
  Dal,
Welcome aboard my old friend.Glad you've touched down safely. I really forward to seeing your outstanding Pfalz posted here.Thank you very much for the kind words in your introduction,very much appreciated my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 08:20:39 AM »
Hello Dal and welcome to the forum, it is a real pleasure to see you here and I look forward to your participation with the forum.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 08:22:04 AM »
. . . It's taken me right out of my comfort zone (90mm white metal figures and 1/48 WWII aircraft) . . .

Welcome aboard Dal and as there's a few of us already involved with, or about to try our hands at a figure, we can profit from your expertise. Goodness knows I can use all the help I can get.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 05:45:55 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.  I've got three weeks at  home before I do my next trip, so hopefully I'll make some progress on that Pfalz.  I'll be interested to see how the red and blue paints dried- I haven't see the kit since I sprayed it a month ago.

Chris, figures aren't as hard to do as a lot of people think.  I'll be glad to help, if I can. Just one word of caution- never leave a figure where an adult can reach it...

Cheers.

Dal.