Author Topic: RNAS Pup sold out  (Read 2858 times)

Offline ALBATROS1234

Re: RNAS Pup sold out
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 09:59:14 AM »
still puzzled that they have se5a on sale. woulda thought that would be gone by now

Offline petrov27

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 10:06:44 AM »
regarding the SE5a, maybe not as fast a seller due to the already existent Roden version? On the other hand the Sopwith Tripe sure sold out quick.

Otherwise yeah it is a surprise its not gone already. Woulda thought the others from that first group would be sold out as well but not yet (weren't the first releases the LVG, Junkers, SE5a and Bristol)?
-Patrick

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 10:20:39 AM »
I really need to start buying WNW, I've long since missed out on the Harry Tate and this news of the RNAS Pup going west has me all upset!
Zac in NZ

Offline iwik

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 09:11:57 PM »
I have one of each- so many variations on PC-10.....

Why?
Isn't it just one color???? ;D

I'm so far gone you can't catch me....

Ciao
WIik

Online rhwinter

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 09:20:44 PM »
Well, it's Pheon Decals' offering that make the Pup a puppy! Got the decal set, need the Pup (RFC) - and a bit o' money for it...

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2015, 03:26:51 AM »
Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between the RNAS and RFC Pups? How difficult would it be to turn one into the other?  The main thing I notice is the stitching on both sides of the fuse on the RNAS, and two upper wing options with and without the center opening.

George

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 03:53:48 AM »
the wnw rnas had an extra sprue with a different fuselage and top wing with separate gun mountings and gun as the main differences. the lewis gun was usually mounted at an angle up thru the top wing for whatever reason.with your skills and a little study i am pretty sure it could be done although you would also need decals.

Online James

RNAS Pup sold out
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 04:26:46 AM »
So could one get the RFC Pup, and use Pheon RNAS Pup decals on it?
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015, 04:54:36 AM »
So could one get the RFC Pup, and use Pheon RNAS Pup decals on it?

It sounds like with Pheon decals, PE stitching, Gaspatch guns, and a little work, you could have the RNAS version if you really had your heart set on it. Many of us already add that much AM stuff to these kits anyway. I wonder if the resale value of the RNAS won't be very high until the RFC is gone too.

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2015, 06:12:10 AM »
people are unlikely to pay the huge prices seen in the past. If they are, please let me know!

I was surprised that the last LVG on eBay only went for just over $130.00. There were some cases where it went for over $200.00. Maybe reality is settling in.

Offline nichenson

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2015, 10:27:25 AM »
You would have to change the upper wing as the RNAS version has an opening in the center and also change the style of stitching on one side of the fuselage.  Other than that, the only things on that sprue are extra magazines and their holder.  I do have the extra bits if someone is really wanting to do a RNAS version.

Offline Dwaynewilly

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2015, 08:13:35 PM »
  According to the description found on the front of the instruction booklet, a special version called the 9901a was developed for Pups deployed on ships at sea.  Most Pups were stationed on land near the coast.  The stitching in the fuselage was to access flotation bags installed to assist recovery after the aircraft was ditched in the sea next to it's tender, before the use of dedicated aircraft carriers.  The window in the upper wing was commonly found on those aircraft. 

There are six sets of markings for the RNAS kit.  The first four do not use the differently stitched fuselage or the upper wing with the window in it.  I don't know if the Pheon decals differentiate between the two types but it appears that non 9901a Pups were flown by the RNAS as well.

Hope this helps, I have an RNAS version and I just picked up a couple RFC kits. I'm pretty sure I'll be using one of the other markings from the RNAS kit for one of the new RFC kits, the cockades look the same for the non-9901a types.

Dwayne
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 08:23:33 PM by Dwaynewilly »

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2015, 07:53:56 AM »
I do have the extra bits if someone is really wanting to do a RNAS version.
For me it wasn't the bits as much as the decals! I was wanting to do ANZAC or Betty.

Must get money and then get kits!
Zac in NZ