WW1 Aircraft Modeling > Hints and Tips/Questions about modeling

Fokker Streaking. Show your Method

(1/16) > >>

RAGIII:

I am going to do a little Step by step of my "Favorite" method of replicating the Streaked finish on Fokker built Aircraft. The first pictures will show the basic materials I use. In this case Oils in Cadmium Yellow, Ivory Black, a red to bring the color just slightly into the Olive brown range, a variety of brushes from pointed to fan, and an appropriate acrylic base paint, in this case Polyscale CDL. I also use Testors Airbrush thinner as my thinning agent as it is Hotter than Terps and speeds up the drying time. (It will take me a while to complete the entire post) so please be patient.
RAGIII

Here are the oils and thinner I use.

A variety of brushes: These are inexpensive brushes purchased at a very large retailer for a very low cost!

The subject model is the Revelle 1/72nd Fokker Dr1. The following pictures show the aircraft after basic construction than after the Acrylic CDL base is applied:

I use the acrylic base because the oils and thinner will not affect the underlying coat when applied... More in the next post:

RAGIII:
Now all is ready to apply streaks: The basic technique involves Mixing black and yellow oils to create an Olive Green. depending on your feelings about the color of these streaks add a little red( very little) to adjust to your liking. The more red the more BROWN!

I use a 50/50 mix of the black and yellow, and just a drop of red. Here is what it looks like after mixing:

I begin by applying the oils to the areas that will end up as the darkest streaks. I use a 1/4 or 1/8 flat brush depending on scale:

Next I wet the flat brush and begin pulling it through the pigment in the direction I want the streaks to go. I move from leading to trailing edge and left to right. This spreads out the paint leaving various light and dark areas.

The next steps are using a wider flat brush and removing pigment where you want the lighter cdl showing through, and inevitably adding a little pigment where you remove too much. The oils are forgiving and can be totally removed( At least a couple of times) without damaging your acrylic base. Work WET but not dripping wet  ::)

I then use a wide flat brush to smooth things out. Look at the pictures of your subject to get ideas on where you want the light and dark!

Next a fan brush to begin to smooth things even more.

Last is a big very soft brush as the final smoothing agent. The technique is the same for the fuselage and tail surfaces just pull the oils down vertically on the fuselage sides.

RAGIII:
The method takes much longer to explain than it does to do. Each wing surface took about 5 to 10 minutes, NOT INCLUDING THE 3 days drying time after  8) Again the oils are very forgiving and give you a lot of time to tweak the streaks to match your subject. I will close my portion with a few more generic pictures.

RAGIII

I hope this helps and of course I would love to see others post their techniques  on this thread: Ed are you out there  ;D

RAGIII

uncletony:
Great post Rick! Thanks for sharing that...

Ernie:
Thank you for the information Rick.  Really helpful stuff, my friend.

Cheers,
Ernie :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version