Author Topic: Happy Birthday to our Forum  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Happy Birthday to our Forum
« on: April 13, 2020, 05:34:25 PM »
Amid all the doom and gloom around the world just now, here's a brighter thought- Happy Birthday to our Forum which is 8 years old today!

The Forum was launched on April 13, 2012 and has grown from a handful of foundation members to our present global membership of 3440 registered members plus thousands of casual readers.

When Des Delatorre launched the Forum he hoped it may attract more members than the then- operating Great War in the Air Forum, with which he had been closely involved before a serious falling out with that forum's owner. In the years since then the GWA forum has faded into the mists of obscurity while our Forum has surged in popularity and continues to attract new members on an almost daily basis.

My ongoing thanks to Global Moderator Lance Carroll for his outstanding support. My special thanks also go to everyone who contributes and participates here and especially those whose donations pay the bills for the Forum and Des' personal website and fund forum activities. Your support means so much and you are continuing Des' great wish for a global community to share our love for WW1 and classic era models.

We are delighted to continue the vision of a model forum created and run by modellers for modellers.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Monty

Re: Happy Birthday to our Forum
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 09:05:01 PM »
Happy 8th Birthday Forumites! It has been a great pleasure to contribute to the site, albeit in my small way. But the freely given and patient advice, support and help I have been given by our really talented modellers here is absolutely invaluable. I have made many friends and even met Przemo through the site, who came all the way to South Africa to visit us! Great, company, great people. I even saw a query on another site about a WW1 model, and that query was referred to my thread here! So we do make a difference in the greater modelling world even in small ways. And a special thanks to Dave and the moderators who do such a stunning job keeping us airborne, tracking true and headed into safe landings!

Regards to you all,

Marc

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 09:42:17 PM »
Happy birthday to us all. And many thanks to you, Dave, for your decision and resolution to hold the rudder when Des left it. May we have chances to celebrate many happy returns.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 09:49:39 PM »
Happy Birthday, Chaps!
Being part of this forum for the past 8 years has been a pleasure.

Thank you Dave and Lance. It is truly appreciated.

Des, I salute the heavens and say thanks.

Cheers!
Bob  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline janh

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 10:13:30 PM »
Early 2012 i was searching for some clear picture of the rigging for a Sopwith Triplane. Via the Vintage aviator i found Des's modelling page and then this forum. i became a member on 26 April and have been on this site every day except when being off the grid. i've been inspired especially by the the efforts of  Umlafmotor (Bertl), Ron Kootje, Bo Monroe and Karim Bibi. i a currently (slowly) building a conversion of the postwar NINAK to a camelback. onwards to the second lustrum, hopefully with a vital WNW as inspiration!

Offline Borsos

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 10:29:59 PM »
Thanks for all the work you put in here, Dave and Lance, and for making this forum possible.
I cannot name all the things I‘ve learned here yet and I am sure there are many things to come. It’s always been a great pleasure to be a member of this wonderful forum that brings WWI aviation enthusiasts from all over the world together.
Happy birthday!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 11:43:49 PM »
Very best of birthday regards to all forum members and especially the staff/moderators who do such an excellent job at keeping things up and running true. I believe that it is the high level of support given freely to all members and visitors by the members themselves that fuels the positive effect of this huge group of friends.

A hearty "Well Done" to everyone! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 01:01:58 AM »
    Eight years and what a ride it has been! I joined exactly one week after Des launched the Forum in April of 2012 and I just read my first post where I said I was here to "share, learn, and get acquainted with folks of similar interests." I must say those objectives have been met and then some! Here's to the next 8 and more Folks, I think this Forum has a reasonable chance of success! :)
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 03:19:45 AM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
8 years is still young, but showed already a impressive growth. Such a huge mount of useful information!

Thanks for all the work you put in here, Dave and Lance, and for making this forum possible.
I can only sign that! Thank you!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Vickers

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 04:50:52 AM »
Happy birthday, ww1models forum!
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 05:48:18 AM »
I sure am glad this forum is here.  Keeps me sane.  Happy Birthday forum!
Honor Necessity

Offline Europapete

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 06:55:27 AM »
Happy Birthday All  ;D The best forum out there! Regards, Pete in RI

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 07:59:56 AM »
I joined soon after Des formed this wonderful Forum. I must admit that My involvement with GWITA kept me from being fully involved for a while. Once I made the decision to contribute I went full throttle! I Love this Forum...Happy Birthday!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 08:30:43 AM »
Happy birthday all. When I restarted as a modeller in 2012 I knew nothing of this site and only found out about it by accident through contact with another modeller. I thought that my interest in WW1 and early aircraft was so left field that I would be virtually alone - how wrong I was.

A big thank you to Dave and Lance for keeping this site going - it is a mine of information and a wonderful friendly place. And thank you to all who post here and share information and ideas so generously.

Stephen.

Offline The Collector

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 03:23:07 AM »
Happy Birthday, one and all. Here's to the future!
Cheers!
🍻