Author Topic: Roland CII Walfisch/Eduard Ritter von Schleich anachronism?  (Read 1001 times)

Offline GrahamB

Roland CII Walfisch/Eduard Ritter von Schleich anachronism?
« on: April 07, 2014, 09:20:32 AM »
Am I missing something here?

According to the Datafile 49 the Roland CII did not arrive at the Front until March 1916. How is that von Schleich is associated with this type if he was wounded in JANUARY 1916 and didn't get back into service (as CO of a Fliegerschule according to wonderful Wikipedia) until SEPTEMBER? Was the unarmed Roland he is supposedly photographed in (and he described as blue and white - more on this later) a school machine? His cannot have been the operational Roland 'A3' option?

There may be other anachronisms in the WNW sequence in the instructions: 'A4' is photographed in spring-to-early autumn (say mid April to mid October) according to the trees in full leaf in the background - yet this preceded 'A5' that could have been taken in early spring (March-early April) 1916 or the following autumn (say, late October onwards) with bare trees in the background - probably the latter. I think A4 and A5 are different aircraft anyway judging by the shape of the small panel between the fuselage cross and rear window. A3 is probably a different aircraft because of the shape of 'map-case' housing between the cockpits (and different rear Lewis gun mounts).

Just wondering aloud here.

Cheers,

GrahamB

Definitely going to start the Roland now anyway - have figured out the probable colours. Blimey, what a hobby.

Offline GrahamB

Re: Roland CII Walfisch/Eduard Ritter von Schleich anachronism?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 12:56:08 PM »
Hi Red Baron,

yes I've been through the thread but think I can see some light shining and a possible reconciliation between the StephenK position (essentially which I agree with) and the 'blue-white' argument. I've started writing a post but fear it might just be seen as another piece of 'egotistical rubbish' but really boils down to the facts that 'weiss' or white often meant only that the aircraft was largely unpainted - dominated by CDL, that people's perception of what CDL looked like is influenced by translucent flying surfaces - not opaque linen-covered wood, and that pale blue was barely distinguishable  from CDL in b/w photos (but paler) - as seen on the two-toned CIIa fuselages in photo 76 on Datafile 49 page 26 awaiting wing attachment and their upper-surface camouflage.

I'll leave it there.

Cheers,

GrahamB

Offline GrahamB

Re: Roland CII Walfisch/Eduard Ritter von Schleich anachronism?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 02:03:18 PM »
Yes, and that!

It is always the confusion between 'appearance' and actual nature of the surface/type of application of dope/paint. The Rolands seem to have been turned out in a high quality CDL - bleached or otherwise. Then the complications come in. ;D
Cheers,

GrahamB