Author Topic: Hello from Chicago!  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Procopius

Hello from Chicago!
« on: September 20, 2013, 10:18:40 AM »
Hi there! My name's Edward, and I'm thirty. I live north of Chicago, and I've been building models for about three years, and I'm still not very good. I'm not letting that stop me, though, because my lack of quality enables me to build in quantity: I average about a model every three weeks. So there's that.

Anyway, I decided that messing up WWII and modern aircraft kits wasn't enough for me, and I'm going to build some WWI birds. I only work in 1/72, so this is really a march of folly. I haven't ever rigged before, either, and I'm filled with fear!

Anyway, since I mainly build RAF/RFC/Fleet Air Arm/RNAS aircraft or aircraft of their contemptible foes, the first four kits I've purchased are two Eduard DH2s (my favorite early-war plane for looks) and two Roden Wolseley Viper-engined S.E. 5as. I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm not even sure what acrylic paints to get, or the best way to paint these guys.
"Kill the sods, the Hunnerinoes, at all costs. Anywhere and everywhere!"
-- Major Keith "Grid" Caldwell, 74 (Tiger) Squadron

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
Re: Hello from Chicago!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 10:39:10 AM »
Hello Edward, and welcome to the forum. :)  You have an interesting time ahead of you
in the Great War era.  Working in 1/72 isin't the easiest with WWI aeroplanes, but as you
will see, absolutely amazing results can be achieved.  We have some of the best teeny-scale
modelers around with us.  i am not very experienced myself, but I would think it would do
well if you would ease into it a bit with a couple of models with minimal rigging.  The Fokker
triplane and D.VII would be good examples.  As for paint, I use mostly acrylics, but with an
airbrush. I would defer to some of the excellent brush-painters for a better discussion of that
aspect of paints. 
  Above all, the thing is to enjoy yourself in the hobby and whatever questions you have,
there are some marvelous modelers here that would be very pleased to help you!

Best Regards,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Procopius

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 12:05:23 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, Ernie! I use an airbrush too, so any tips you have for me in that area would certainly be appreciated.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 12:15:42 PM »
Hello Edward and welcome to the forum, it is so nice to see you here.  Also, welcome to the world of WW1 aircraft, you will find a wide range of aircraft types to build, some easy, some hard. You have jumped in at the deep end with the DH.2, it has a multitude of rigging, but if you feel confident go for it, it will be a great experience for you. I'm looking forward to seeing you post photos of your work for us all to see.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 01:07:55 PM »
Welcome aboard, Edward.  Glad you found us.  I look forward to seeing your projects unfold here.
Cheers
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 01:37:29 PM »
Welcome Edward! You've tapped into a bottomless well of experience. Ask anything (no matter how dumb you may think it is) and it'll be answered thoroughly and with class. That's just how this outfit operates.

Lindsay

Online bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 05:59:58 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Edward!
Enjoy your time with us.

BVB  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Zabu

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 11:42:49 PM »
Hi Edward! Welcome to the squad!

1/72 hum? Welcome again! ;D  I'm a braille modeler myself... it's ok that you haven't rigged yet, but 3 weeks... man your fast!

About D.H. 2. It's a very nice model to have, bu has alot of rigging, i would like recomend something with less "wires". Don't get spooky with them, but probably will be a too hard start.If you ready top grab the Bull be it's horns... then go for it!

If you wnat to try some rigging to see how it goes you may try DH 2 first opponent Fokker Eindecker. Plenty of rigging but very smooth.

Nevertheless, whatever you choose to build we're here for you, trying to give our best advice.

About paint... don't worry, there's plenty to choose from. Take your pick on the model... we'll be here for you.

Cheers

Offline Procopius

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 11:59:42 PM »
My plan was to start on the S.E. 5as, rather than the DH2s, as they seemed a little safer. I've also been told the Eduard Nieuport 17s are a good place to start, as they have, I gather, single-line rigging? I'm sure that's not the right term. However, none of the boxings seem to have RFC decal options, and there's rather a dearth of aftermarket decals for them compared to what I'm used to for WWII and modern...I think I have more Spitfire IX decal options at home than there are decal options for every WWI aircraft in 1/72 combined.

Part of the fun for me with modelling is that I always try to learn something about what I'm building. WWI in the air is pretty new to me, so I've just finished Lee Kennett's The First Air War, which I enjoyed, and am now on V. M. Yeats' Winged Victory, which I can't say I like very much at all. I'm hoping Eddie Rickenbacker's Fighting the Flying Circus proves more enjoyable.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 12:39:41 AM »
  Edward,
Hello and welcome aboard my friend. Glad you've joined this most excellent of all WWI forums. Sit back and enjoy. I'm looking forward to seeing your projects grace this forum. Especially the DH2 my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Procopius

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 08:28:48 AM »
Thanks for all the welcomes, everyone!

I've picked up some more kits -- it's a sickness -- and so now I have an Eduard E.IV, Albatros D.Va, and Fokker F.1 (the last, I gather, is not entirely correct for an F.1, but remains a DR.1), and a Toko Snipe and Salamander, the latter so that I can make the earlier tail on the Snipe, mainly. I also ordered Pheon's SE5a aces sheet, so that I can build my hero "Taffy" Jones' machine.

I imagine I should do the E.IV first, as it's a monoplane. Then which, though? And what paints do I need to make one?

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 10:35:07 AM »
Edward, the E.IV (or Eindecker) is a good choice.  quite a lot of rigging, but if
done in stages it's not hard.  As for the paint the Eindeckers were usually completely
done in CDL.  I think later in the war there were quite a few in a green colour.  Take
a look at Wingnut Wings website for the Eindecker E.III late for a bit of marking variation.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 05:52:40 AM »
I missed a few intros over the months - welcome to the forum Edward

Steve

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 09:01:34 PM »
Whoops, a very belated hello and welcome to the forum Edward ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice