Author Topic: Wingnut Wings RAF SE.5a Lt. Arthur Rhys Davids  (Read 9397 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Wingnut Wings RAF SE.5a Lt. Arthur Rhys Davids
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2022, 01:04:30 PM »
John,
    I've done it both ways over the years but find it much more manageable with a template. I find using the wing itself a delicate balancing act that results, more often then not, in dropping it or worse! I do use 5 minute epoxy for the join to allow time for final alignment of the bottom strut to fuselage joints once the epoxy is partially set. It might not work any better then your version but it works best for me and my arthritic and fumble prone fingers! :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2022, 01:40:22 PM »
Lance

Your SE5a looks awesome and is progressing at a wonderful rate. I made this kit back in 2009 and like you used wrapped Tamiya tape for the fabric on the struts. I can say after all these years the tape is still in place.

Your build is really impressive and your PC10 is a nice shade within the accepted green range.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2022, 07:15:53 PM »
Hi Lance,
I've been following this build and its looking to be a stunner.
I've built the SE5a already but have another in my stash.
I'm hoping to do something different with that kit.
Unless I'm mistaken I see you are using the 'Kronos' third hand.
I have one to and they're great when it comes to rigging some models,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2022, 11:57:07 PM »
   Thanks for your comments Dave and Mike. Yes, this is also my second go at this Kit and it is a real winner and one of Wingnut's best in my experience. I actually have a third one in the Stash Pile and hope to do it in the "grey diamonds and NIVO"  Night Fighter scheme released by Pheon Decals some time ago.
   Dave, my at least ten year old Tamiya taped struts on the first one I built are still in the original condition as well, it's a great product.
   Mike, yes, it is the "Magic Third Hand" she's strapped into, my undisputed favorite tool on the bench and I use it so much I wish I could find a second one for fear of it breaking! I have several other "Jigs" which rarely get used but this one is priceless and not just for rigging. If anyone reading this has one in good condition they would like to sell let me know!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2022, 02:12:09 AM »
   Thanks for your comments Dave and Mike. Yes, this is also my second go at this Kit and it is a real winner and one of Wingnut's best in my experience. I actually have a third one in the Stash Pile and hope to do it in the "grey diamonds and NIVO"  Night Fighter scheme released by Pheon Decals some time ago.
   Dave, my at least ten year old Tamiya taped struts on the first one I built are still in the original condition as well, it's a great product.
   Mike, yes, it is the "Magic Third Hand" she's strapped into, my undisputed favorite tool on the bench and I use it so much I wish I could find a second one for fear of it breaking! I have several other "Jigs" which rarely get used but this one is priceless and not just for rigging. If anyone reading this has one in good condition they would like to sell let me know!
Cheers,
Lance

Hi Lance,
The FB page is still up at 'Kronos Designs'.
The last entry was 2015 but I ordered mine way after that, so the contact details may still be viable,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Online Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2022, 02:49:27 AM »
I somehow lost track of this build...

I think the IP looks great as does the cockpit combing. Bulged cockpit or not, I think it looks wonderful Lance!

Great paint job too, I like her colors.

Willem

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2022, 04:25:52 AM »
Excellent update Lance of an excellent model. Your modifications are very good - I for one would not know how you have modified this kit, and BTW I could not see the dust!

Stephen.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2022, 04:44:25 AM »
Great progress on your SE5a Lance. Your method of lining up the struts is very efficient. Although I haven't found it necessary on WNW kits, it certainly is beneficial on other makes like Roden.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2022, 08:43:26 AM »
Fantastic looking work!  I am inspired by your template for the struts!  I think I will incorporate it into future builds.
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2022, 11:29:59 AM »
     Thank you all for your comments. This one has few and not significant modifications, I may have induced some confusion by inserting a photo of my earlier Build of McCudden's B.4891.
     Mike, the Kronus contact info has provided no replies since about 4 years ago and I don't use Face Book (which may be the problem) The promotional video returns as "No longer available" so I suspect a "previously enjoyed" one will have to be the only option, if I can locate one.
Cheers,
Lance 

Bughunter

« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2022, 07:30:24 AM »
Great work on a great kit!
You wrote that this is may be the best WNW kit - at least is shows a great amount of nice details.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2022, 07:49:48 AM »
Thanks Frank, it is very well detailed and, considering it was one of the four original releases, still held it's apparent high comparative quality with the final releases in my opinion. Their F2B Bristol Fighter (also in the original four released) still ranks as their very best in my experience and I've built approximately two dozen of their models to date.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline iamjohnsname

« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2022, 08:10:41 AM »
   I actually have a third one in the Stash Pile and hope to do it in the "grey diamonds and NIVO"  Night Fighter scheme released by Pheon Decals some time ago.

When I build my WNW SE5 I will almost certainly paint it like the one from the film Darling Lili - a favourite paint scheme of mine all my life. I did a test run on this 1/48 Roden kit to see what to do and especially what not to do when I do the WNW kit.

I assume this scheme was inspired by the Night Fighter colours but, I suppose, brightened up to be camera-ready for the movie.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2022, 12:41:31 AM »
Nice progress indeed, Lance. That little trick of the jig for the cabanes is great - I'll be using that one for sure from now on!
Cheers,
Gary

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2022, 12:08:14 PM »
   Well, I'm going to call this one completed. I got the upper wing mounted without difficulty, completed the rigging and the flight control cables, and completed a myriad of touch ups. I'll be posting more photos on the Completed Models Board shortly.

Cheers,
Lance