Author Topic: CSM Minerva Armored Car + Base 1/35  (Read 406 times)

Offline AngryJazz

CSM Minerva Armored Car + Base 1/35
« on: May 02, 2024, 09:51:48 PM »
My entry for the group build - the Copper State Models Minerva Armored Car 1/35.

I know its a aircraft focused forum, but i'm really in a armor building mood.
Since other subjects were allowed I thought this could be a good opportunity to go all out with an idea I had for a while.

Just a simple setting on a base, but I think it will work out nicely. I may need some extra accessories, but let's see.

The base is from Macone models and the figure is from a random Instagram raffle I won.

I'm not sure if the figure is British or maybe Russian crew - maybe one of you can help? It does not say on the package.

Also I bought a entry level DSLR Camera(second hand), so hopefully the picture quality will improve as I learn how to use it.

A final thing is the Gaahleri airbrush I got as a review sample. I look forward to trying it  :)

Best regards
Ben
//Ben

Offline Davos522

Re: CSM Minerva Armored Car + Base 1/35
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2024, 10:48:26 PM »
Personally I love armored cars (my Dad drove six-wheelers in WWII) so I'll be following this with great interest. Between this project and the Zeppelin-powered torpedo-boat the group build will have air/land/sea covered pretty thoroughly!

Also interested in seeing how the Gallheri a/b works for you, I've heard good things about them.

Dutch

Offline NigelR

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 06:33:43 PM »
Great choice, I look forward to seeing this done as I have the CSM Peugeot nearing the top of my pile.

Also I bought a entry level DSLR Camera(second hand), so hopefully the picture quality will improve as I learn how to use it.
I also bought a second hand DX3300 (this was an upgrade to my ancient D50), it's a really good camera and I am very happy with the pictures I get.

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024, 09:03:06 PM »
Thanks Dutch! Bet your dad could tell a few good stories  :)

By first feel the airbrush seems solid built. It kind of mimic the way Harder & Stenbeck build their airbrush - very easy to disassemble and clean. No need for tools. True test is some paint!

@Nigel - It is indeed a Nikon D3300 with the kit lens. So far im still trying to figure out how to shoot correctly in manual mode. Maybe ill ask for a tip or two  :)
I should get my tripod next week and will experiment with some image / focus stacking
//Ben

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 09:22:06 PM »
Great choice, I look forward to seeing this done as I have the CSM Peugeot nearing the top of my pile.

I also bought a second hand DX3300 (this was an upgrade to my ancient D50), it's a really good camera and I am very happy with the pictures I get.

I'll vouch for that Nigel  ;D

Great project Ben - looking forward to seeing this one come together since I'm often tempted by these CSM armoured cars having seen the kits built up

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2024, 12:04:10 AM »
This looks as if it will be an awesome project. I look forward to your progress!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2024, 08:15:36 AM »
A very cool subject - I have also occasionally been tempted by these 'ground based' subjects (targets, as some in my profession call them ;D ) - looking forward to seeing this one progress!

Cheers,

BC

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2024, 04:42:06 AM »
This has the potential to look really excellent. I am looking forward to seeing what you do with the A.V. not to mention all the other things listed.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2024, 08:54:03 PM »
Thank you all for the motivation  :D

The "ground target" have gotten a little paint and I will be weathering the interior next.

The engine is very nice! I only added a little wire for the spark plugs and drilled the exhaust. Wood elements were chipped back with chipping fluid to show a bit of wear.

Sorry the only pictures I have of the preshading is one I posted on IG as a bit of a review for Gaahleri.

//Ben

Offline macsporran

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2024, 01:27:43 AM »
Following with interest as I picked up the same kit with some figures at auction with a view to maybe sit beside a Coppens Camel - but I've no experience of building these. So thanks AJ, you're just what I need!
Sandy

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2024, 01:48:17 AM »
excellent start on your build. All is looking great, especially the chipping! What Fluid are you using?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2024, 04:01:46 AM »
Thank you Sandy - you will not be disapointed. The kit goes together really well and the instructions are very easy to follow  :)
Im taking a lot of inspiration from LPJ Models - his Minerva looks stunning! He also made a video of his diorama and build. Lots of great tips.

https://youtu.be/vZOgvrFK6i8?si=cOZ2HGZsWFdygWNR

I should note Im skipping a few of the painting steps on purpose. Some of the frame of the car + springs should be painted black. However after wheels are on and it has been weathered it's not too noticeable.

@RAGIII - Thank you! I like the Vallejo chipping fluid. It's a bit thick and sprays a little weird, but the results are always predictable for me(thin it with 40/60 with Vallejo airbrush thinner / chipping fluid). Very fine chipping, but sometimes i need a more coarse brush to get it going (like a toothbrush).
I have the Ammo Mig heavy chipping fluid also. It sprays great! But it produces larger areas of chipping - not as fine as Vallejo. I guess their name is fitting  ;D

//Ben
//Ben

Offline Davos522

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2024, 10:14:30 AM »
Sometimes it seems as though every model I look at on this forum is more impressive than the last... absolutely wonderful, Ben! I used to do a lot of armor modeling in my teens and this is bringing me dangerously close to starting again... and you're right, I grew up listening to my Dad's stories about his experiences in WWII. He spent the war in a tank destroyer unit and collected three Purple Hearts in Italy, France, and Austria (one resulting from being bombed by a JU-87, no less!).

Dutch

Offline NigelR

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2024, 06:52:35 PM »
Very nice progress, this is looking great. You are making me move my Peugeot build up to next in the queue after the Pfalz....