Author Topic: Unknown Fokker D.VII. Plastic Supplied by WNW  (Read 11210 times)

Offline smperry

Re: Unknown Fokker D.VII. Plastic Supplied by WNW
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2020, 03:22:48 PM »
Looking at the photo, what little of the side cowl that shows, looks lozenge painted. I would use the loz side panels, both on account of the photo and because they just looks so good. You are really handling every problem this model throws at you, the result will be awesome.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2020, 10:11:19 PM »
Looks to me like the entire fuse is lozenge covered, even the top between the cockpit and engine, as well as the top of the wing and the landing gear airfoil.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2020, 11:53:37 PM »
I think you have it correct to My eyes! The cockpit decking near the Machine guns would most likely be green with random painting of Lilac per early OAW built DVIIs'. At least that is what I see  ::)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2020, 10:33:56 AM »
I say just go with what feels right .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2020, 05:03:57 PM »
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and input.  I really appreciate it.

This morning I spent some time establishing a piece of .9mm brass tube in the prop's broken driveshaft.

I also laid some of the lozenge.  I didn't want to lay them all in one day, for fear of lifting some while laying others.  It's WNW lozenge, so not as nice as the Aviattic.   But will have to do as I just can't make myself buy more decals when I have so much in the box.  Plus...  I have to dull it down a bit with washes...  so why pay extra?  I mean...they're great looking decals.  But hardly inexpensive when I look at the exchange rate, and shipping.

I decided to leave the cheek panels as they are.  I also painted the Jasta 54 tail markings.  I used Tamiya tape to do the masking.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2020, 06:38:13 PM »
Coming together beautifully Gaz, must be a fiddly old job covering the whole aircraft with decals. You've done a great job though.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2020, 10:08:02 PM »
Gaz, it looks Fabulous! Your Fokker is really moving along nicely.
RAGIII

Offline Radarman

« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2020, 12:48:22 AM »
Gaz,
I've got to say, that's really going to stand out, as far as Fokker D.VII  colour schemes go.
Despite the ups and downs, it been a great build to follow.
                                                                                           Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2020, 07:07:15 AM »
Coming together beautifully Gaz, must be a fiddly old job covering the whole aircraft with decals. You've done a great job though.

Thank you, Richie.  Actually it's not very hard.  The thing to remember is to use a hair dryer instead of chemicals.

Gaz, it looks Fabulous! Your Fokker is really moving along nicely.
RAGIII

Thank you, Rick!

Gaz,
I've got to say, that's really going to stand out, as far as Fokker D.VII  colour schemes go.
Despite the ups and downs, it been a great build to follow.
                                                                                           Kevin

Thank you Kevin.  When I saw the picture of that bird, I knew I just had to model it despite the many questions raised.

Gaz

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2020, 08:21:42 AM »
Decalling is coming along wonderful so far  :) Looking forward to the rest of them now .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline rsanz

« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2020, 09:21:22 AM »
Hello friends!
     I proceeded with masking and spraying.  As was suggested by another thread, I replaced the old cowls with newer OAW cowls with their distinctive lozenge pattern.  I even took a pic from the same angle to see if it gave me the right vibe.

I don't feel that this accurately portrays what I see in the picture.  What do you think?

Here is the starboard side:

I wonder if there is another kind of decoration up front?  Not that we'd know for sure unless we saw another image of this same aircraft from another angle.  I hate answering my own questions with "I don't knows".

What do you guys think?  Should I just overspray the cheek panels with the basic front end color?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Gaz

Really nice scheme. I might have chosen different band colours around the fuselage but what you have looks really nice. 

I think you should paint the rest of the cowlings with OAW style lilac and dark green because this Fokker D.VII was built by OAW. therefore, unless the engine cowlings had been overpainted in a unit colour, they would remain in their original factory finish.

It also has an OAW undercarriage axle wing (with the clasps on the top and bottom) and wheel covers (part #D3).

This might help explain it a little better than my words.
http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3080&cat=4

Bughunter

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2020, 06:31:00 AM »
Gaz, that is a great colorful Fokker! I like what you have painted.
Despite all adversities, please continue!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2020, 04:43:51 PM »
HI everyone,
    Thank you for the responses and helpful tips.

I've re-read both threads regarding this build and decided to go full OAW.  So, all I've accomplished in two days is to lay the fabric decals and repaint the nose.  I'm going to let the decals settle overnight...  then I'm going to being fading /blending them.  I don't know exactly what they did back then, but it looks like the may have browned them a little.  I want to do this before I add the detail decals and national insignia. 

If anyone knows what they actually did, I'd be glad for the tip. 

Anyway...  the photos:

Those large decals....  such a PITA to lay.  I find it difficult when using the hair dryer to get them to lay down.  A second too long, and they blister.  And those blisters don't like to go down.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2020, 09:58:05 PM »
I think you nailed the paint scheme, Gaz.  I like it.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2020, 10:53:49 PM »
Your DVII looks exceptional Gaz! Lovely painting!!
RAGIII