Author Topic: Jeannin Taube - 1:32 scale  (Read 48433 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Jeannin Taube - 1:32 scale
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2012, 04:35:51 PM »
I have splashed a bit of Humbrol Polished aluminium on the nose section, I still need to do the swirls (???????) I have also started to do the tail, the two fins have been added, not much progress but progress all the same.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2012, 05:47:46 PM »
Mr Rimell has replied in his thread on the new WNW E.III exactly how he did the sworls on the aluminium cowling....could be useful?

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2012, 07:11:17 PM »
I've not seen this progress on this one for a while, so it's surprising to see how much it's come on so quickly!
Looks fantastic, the extra work that went into the engine really shows

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2012, 10:37:11 PM »
This is shaping up nicely. The subtle diffferences in the side nose panels are noted. Great work!!!

Steve

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2012, 12:44:12 PM »
This is a trial fit of the undercarriage, I fitted pins to the top of each undercarriage leg and inserted them into holes drilled into the bottom of the fuselage, this makes for a very solid assembly which supports the airframe well.

Des.

I also made and fitted the top pulley to take the elevator cable, the pulley is made from small brass washers with a 0.25mm copper wire axle, it fits neatly into the brass tube fin and rudder support, CA holds it very well.

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2012, 07:24:01 PM »
Hi Des
When you get around to doing the swirls on the engine panels, check out the 'How to Do' guide that Wingnut Wings have just published on their website as par of their 'Duelists' release. They make it look easy!

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/1FD5C6BA51C282213D3735F5E420694C

Cheers
James
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 07:26:24 PM by Jamo »
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2012, 07:41:18 AM »
I painted the swirls on the front end, they turned out looking very similar to photos I have of the original aircraft, anyway, it's the best I can do so it will have to do. I added the four steps to the bottom of the fuselage, two at the front and two behind the cockpit, I also made and fitted the wing mounting brackets. The two rudders have been made and painted with the final colour, the colour is close to what I have in photo reference, but the aircraft is a restored example so I don't know if it is the correct colour, again, it will do.

Des.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2012, 07:46:05 AM »
Brilliant update, Des.  This is really fun to follow.  Like following a really hot woman on the beach in a bikini.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #98 on: October 01, 2012, 09:57:08 PM »
I have applied some colour to the fuselage, this is a pretty close match to what is shown in the photos I have. This is Humbrol enamel No.154 Insignia Yellow, I added a touch of Ferrari Red to give me the orange colour, then I added a tad of black to darken it then I finished off with some white to give it the correct balance. The cockpit padding is painted with Gunze Chocolate Brown.

Des.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #99 on: October 01, 2012, 10:38:45 PM »
You're really making great headway with this build Des. Superb craftsmanship as always, with absolutely no imperfections that I can see. I'm amazed as always.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2012, 02:47:05 AM »
Des, I've erected a shrine with photos of your builds, votive candles, garland and a goblet of wine in the corner of my modeling room.  Super-human modeling, mate!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Adam

« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2012, 03:16:16 AM »
Fuselage is superb.
Adam.

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #102 on: October 02, 2012, 04:47:46 AM »
Beautiful work, Des. Not sure what other superlatives I can add that the others haven't used. That's pretty much the main reason why I reserve comment until your final unveil!  ;)

I wouldn't mind asking a question though, if it's not too mundane or general. Just seems a propos to ask it here. It's in regards to how you mix the paints that you used in this case for the yellow (Insignia Yellow with a mix of orange, red, black, and white). Specifically:

1.What do you use to decant from the paint tin to the palette / airbrush "hopper" (don't know the actual name)?
2. How does the method you use from Q#1 get you any precision?

I can just see a situation where you need to go back and paint a section of the fuselage again, and presumably you'd want the paint to match, and match fairly precisely at that. That leads me to believe that you have a pretty exact paint ratio to give you the colour that you want, which further leads me to believe that you have a tool to measure the paint volume fairly precisely, too. Or do you just mix up a big batch, eyeballing the colour and put it in a jar for later use?

Thanks for putting up with the rookie question...

Lindsay

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #103 on: October 02, 2012, 07:31:51 AM »
Thank you for all the kind comments, they are much appreciated.

Lindsay - Exactly what Tony said, I use a pipette to transfer the paint from one container to another. For this particular build I will need quite a bit of paint so I initially poured a full tin of the Insignia Yellow into a larger container (I prefer glass jars with a screw cap). I started by adding the red, one drop at a time and mixing between drops, I keep doing this until I reached the desired colour, I then did the same with the black paint, then the white. Each time I make an adjustment I keep a record of the paint ratio just in case I need it for future reference, but because I have made quite a lot of paint for this build I will not need to mix any more, so I didn't need to keep a record. This is quite a large amount of paint so I will have enough to complete the entire model and have some left over.

As Tony said, the pipettes can be cleaned quite easily and lacquer thinner does a great job.

Des.

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #104 on: October 02, 2012, 11:45:37 AM »
That's excellent, thanks for taking time to answer that, UncleTony and Des. Much appreciated.  :)

Back to the build...

LT