Author Topic: My Model BUilding Resolutions for the New Year  (Read 3173 times)

Offline ALBATROS1234

Re: My Model BUilding Resolutions for the New Year
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 01:34:09 PM »
finish kits before i start a new one? what fun is that, never.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 02:56:45 PM »
The only resolution I have consistently been able to keep has
been not to make any.  I have an excellent record with that one. ;) ;D
Happy new year everyone, regardless. ;D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
Ya see, Erie?  I make 'em just to break 'em.  Therein is where the fun lies. (See my last post.  That'll never happen.)
Cheers,
Bud

;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 12:19:52 AM »
Mine is to just have fun building whatever kit I decide to tackle. For me that means keeping expectations low, and not getting caught up in trying to keep up with the Joneses.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline timpivonka

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2015, 05:27:07 AM »
I am glad to see that I am not the only modeler that has unfinished kits.  My new years resolution is to finish some and start fewer than I finish.  Oh and to take pictures of finished projects also.

Tim Pivonka

Offline jknaus

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 03:50:08 AM »
I'll play. Having realized my modeling skills are decreasing and that I dont need every new kit that comes out, my resolution is simply to stop buying on impulse. I have some must haves and am going to try and change the mind set to really wants. And those really wants are going to require a lot of really good reasons to buy. So far on my must have list which I have successfully resisted are the Ho 229, Do 335, and the Felixstowes. I may really want them but II cant justify cost and I know they will just join the stash. Hope I can resist all year. Now to whittle down the stash. Time to sell some armour me thinks.

James

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 06:05:08 AM »
Turning over the kits we used to want, for those we now want, has always worked for me. There are very few kits I have sold that I wish I still had. A couple I bought again later very inexpensively since, it appeared, no one else wanted them either.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

WarrenD

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 09:18:30 AM »
Turning over the kits we used to want, for those we now want, has always worked for me. There are very few kits I have sold that I wish I still had. A couple I bought again later very inexpensively since, it appeared, no one else wanted them either.

Same here, I've never sold or traded a kit and wished it back. I've done that a few times with firearms, but those are spilled milk.  :'( :'( :'(

Now, I have sold off some kits that when I sold them, I wished I'd bought twenty or so, hehehehehe.  ;)

Warren

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 12:30:49 PM »
I'm with you. When I think of the guns I've sold over the years, I want to sit down and cry. Like an original Ruger Bearcat…
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Kai

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 10:35:01 AM »
Mine is to continue liquidating my 1/32  WWII stash and turn to 1/32 WWI modelling exclusively.

I've sold some very nice  1/32 kits - Tamiya Spitfire, Mustang & Corsair, HK B-25J (until I bought the Felixstowe, my most expensive purchase ever), MDC's Ar234, Jerry Rutman's Mustang, numerous Hasegawa 109G's, Trumpeters superb Avenger kit, all three Pacific Coast Macchi's, Trumpeters P47 Razorback and Hasegawa's Bubbletop version.

I don't regret it at all. I have used the funds to bolster my WWI 1/32 kit stash, and I'd never have been able to build so many anway.

Once I built my first 1/32 WWI kit - Encore's SE.5a - I was hooked. I think it's because of the variety of skills needed, the relatively small amount of space a completed model takes up, the scope for great paint jobs, the fact that you've to represent canvas, wood & metal next to each other. The rigging grows on you & really gives a model the finished look. The character WWI planes have is pretty unique. I just found a Spitfire or Mustang a bit boring in comparison.

Perhaps most importantly, WWI modelling doesn't seem to have rivet counters - people who just criticise a build for some perceived inaccuracy - they have no other purpose than to spot "mistakes". Perhaps it's the lack of reference material, especially colour photo's, but I've not experienced anything like that, especially here.

So, I'm making good progress already - added a few kits, just need to sell a few - anybody want some 1/32 WWII kits?!

WarrenD

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2015, 02:57:45 AM »
Kai, I'm not a rivet counter, but I am a stitch nazi, and have been called that by several folks over the years.  ::)  I was always proud of the title.*  ;) ;D

However, yeah, there are rivet counters too, they just stay kind of quiet here.

I'm glad that you're enjoying yourself here.

Warren

* FWIW, it's a term from outside of the modeling hobby, and has nothing to do with criticizing people's builds.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 03:06:17 AM by WarrenD »

Offline ondra

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2015, 04:50:10 AM »
Ok, I will play along too. As the whole year is a very long period, I always make resolutions for the upcoming quarter only.

1) Finish the Nieuport XI in quality better than my previous builds
2) Test as many Drooling Bulldog's WWI paints as possible

WarrenD

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2015, 05:19:56 AM »
Ok, I will play along too. As the whole year is a very long period, I always make resolutions for the upcoming quarter only.

1) Finish the Nieuport XI in quality better than my previous builds
2) Test as many Drooling Bulldog's WWI paints as possible

1) Since I'm a Nieuport fan, I'm looking forward to see what you did with your kit. Which kit are you building?

2) Also, I'm not familiar with "Drooling Bulldog" paint, care to elaborate please?  I'm always interested when someone comes along with products to support our end of things. (Unless Drooling Bulldog's paints are some kind of inside joke here.)

Warren

Offline ondra

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2015, 05:43:39 AM »
Hi Warren,

thanks for the questions, here the answers;)

1) The Nieuport XI I am working on is a scratchbuild in 1/144, it can be seen in the "Under Construction" section
2) Drooling Bulldog is not a joke, it is a new brand of WWI paints which are in preparation now by my good friend Sergey Mertens. He is an artist with university education in the area of authentic pigments and with wide knowledge of pigments available during the WWI period. I was given the honor of being a member of the testing group before they are launched to the market. So far I have been working with the "kraplak" - no it is not in Klingonian, it is the official name of the pigment used for german red. :) The testing is in very initial phase but I am realy amazed - I have never seen a finer pigment. I also like the fact that they are compatible with GS-C.  Currently 7 colours for German Luftstreikräfte are basically finished and 5 further are in preparation.

Will share up-dates with you if you are interested. Attached please find an example of the german red on a finished model.

WarrenD

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2015, 06:22:23 AM »
Ondra,
         Thanks for the quick reply, I'll definitely go check out your Noop in the under construction section.

Also, thanks for the update on the paints. Your answer explains why a Google search turned up a null set. I will certainly look forward to these!  I do hope they are more robust than the MisterKit paints. I like those very much, but they are so fragile.

Please keep us updated on the paints.

Warren

Offline ondra

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2015, 06:28:25 AM »
Ondra,
         Thanks for the quick reply, I'll definitely go check out your Noop in the under construction section.

Also, thanks for the update on the paints. Your answer explains why a Google search turned up a null set. I will certainly look forward to these!  I do hope they are more robust than the MisterKit paints. I like those very much, but they are so fragile.

Please keep us updated on the paints.

Warren
Hi again Warren,

you are right about Misterkit, I made the same experience with them while building my Bristol F.2B. Based on the first tests with airbrush I can say that Droolling Bulldog are much more robust as they are lacquer based (unlike the acrylic MisterKit).

Hope to share more experience soon.

Best

Ondra