Author Topic: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt FINISHED!  (Read 39962 times)

Offline RichieW

Re: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt
« Reply #330 on: July 08, 2021, 10:03:28 PM »
Hi everybody, many thanks for the tips re wing fitting, it has proved to be very helpful!

There's been another bout of fettling and wrestling with the wings this morning. I used my old broken  Ammo jig to help and it really did but even so it was definitely not easy at first but I think I'm getting the knack of it after several test fittings. There are problems of alignment that will need a lot of tweaking but that's ok because I will get a lot of practice at getting the wings on and off.

Until it all looks better aligned and I can easily get the wings on I won't glue anything else onto the model in case of breakages. I expect this to take at least a week or so, once done I shall be back on familiar ground and should be able to get this finished at long last!

Test fitting by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Many thanks again for the advice and encouragement.

Richie

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #331 on: July 08, 2021, 10:09:40 PM »

Until it all looks better aligned and I can easily get the wings on I won't glue anything else onto the model in case of breakages.

Yes, I learned that one the hard way too. Especially the rudder

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #332 on: July 08, 2021, 10:32:38 PM »
Excellent progress, Ritchie.  Fitting the upper wing has been a significant and frustrating step in my builds, but with some patience, I got things worked out.  I'm sure you will too, after coming so far.
Sounds like I take the difficult way to fit the wing, making all the struts and cabanes and test fitting everything at once, making adjustments to whatever struts need it. 

Just realize you are probably at the most difficult step.  It will take some time and patience. You definitely can do this!

Best of luck - we're all behind you.
(The serious doubts near the end of a build is normal for me - I don't want to screw up all the work I've done already.)

Many thanks Ken, yes fitting the top wing is proving to be a big hurdle. I will keep adjusting,  test fitting and adjusting until everything works together properly.

Haha, you hit the nail on the head about what is causing the doubts. I have been on this project for so long and can see the finish line but am terrified of screwing everything up!

Until it all looks better aligned and I can easily get the wings on I won't glue anything else onto the model in case of breakages.

Yes, I learned that one the hard way too. Especially the rudder

Richard

I've knocked the filler caps a few times already, I'm so glad I haven't fitted the undercarriage legs yet. The tail feathers, cowling and side panel are just taped on for now. There are so few places to hold the model without carnage ensuing! Wish I gone for the Bristol M1c monoplane for my first scratch build now!

Richie

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #333 on: July 09, 2021, 01:20:12 AM »
Too late for the Bristol M1c - just keep at it, take your time and suddenly that top wing will be on and the rest of the model will be intact. Finding places to hold the model is certainly a problem with all the delicate pieces under your fingers - especially when working in the True Scale! You can certainly finish this bird having got this far - no repeats of childish behavour now...!

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #334 on: July 09, 2021, 01:37:59 AM »
that's looking pretty damn good from where i'm sitting, keep at it and keep the faith, you're doing a cracking job and anyone who scratch builds a model has my upmost respect.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #335 on: July 09, 2021, 02:07:19 AM »

no repeats of childish behavour now...!

Definitely no repeats, I got a thick ear for that after my dad spent his hard earned on our monthly 'model day.' I learned a great deal about the virtues of patience and the value of money that day!
that's looking pretty damn good from where i'm sitting, keep at it and keep the faith, you're doing a cracking job and anyone who scratch builds a model has my upmost respect.

Thanks so much EBF, I have actually found this easier than 1/72 biplane kits. Anyone who can turn them out to your standard has my utmost respect!

Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #336 on: July 09, 2021, 02:07:35 AM »
WOW!! Tremendous progress Richie! The Union Jacks look great and the wings also! Your alignment looks good in the photos so I am sure your tweaks will work out just fine. This is really turning into a gorgeous model.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #337 on: July 09, 2021, 04:03:06 AM »
Great work, Richie. Looks very promising with both of the wings. Looking forward to see your next steps.
Bye Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline DaveB

« Reply #338 on: July 09, 2021, 04:47:13 AM »
Amazing work and progress, Richie -

This really looks the part now and is going to look stunning when finished.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Bughunter

« Reply #339 on: July 12, 2021, 02:38:20 AM »
What a lovely biplane, looks now like a WNW kit!
Fantastic work 8)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Monty

« Reply #340 on: July 13, 2021, 01:50:59 AM »
This is looking quite stunning, Richie! Some great work and very neat and beautiful! Take your time, we are enjoying your progress! Regards, Marc.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #341 on: July 13, 2021, 09:02:00 PM »
Thanks so much Rick, Manni, Dave, Frank and Monty. I'm still fiddling about with the struts but think I have the problem solved now so have started making the Lewis gun mount and control horns. I have managed to damage the paint on the cabanes so they will need to be repainted and allowed to dry before the final fitting. I can occupy myself by drilling the many holes required in the meantime.

Richie

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #342 on: July 14, 2021, 03:37:47 AM »
This paint damage thing also seems to happen. I get it with the brass struts I use, which don't take paint well even if I use an etch primer

Dabbing bits of paint here and there are my finishing touched before calling a model done. I'm getting pretty good at threading a loaded paintbrush through rigging...

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #343 on: July 17, 2021, 01:49:34 AM »
Just catching up on your progress Richie and that looks beautiful so far , really impressive work  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RichieW

« Reply #344 on: July 17, 2021, 05:54:34 PM »
Just catching up on your progress Richie and that looks beautiful so far , really impressive work  :)

Alexis

Hi Alexis, really good to hear from you and thanks for the compliment. I hope you are coping with the furnace like heatwave we keep reading about in the news here. It looks shocking.

Richie