Author Topic: Jeannin Taube - 1:32 scale  (Read 47763 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Jeannin Taube - 1:32 scale
« Reply #150 on: October 19, 2012, 03:30:46 PM »
When I get the time I will show the method I used to make my spoked wheels, my jig is only a basic prototype but I needed something to start with so don't expect to see a world class spoked wheel making tool. I promise I will post the photos soon but for the time being I have more pressing issues which need to be addressed.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #151 on: October 19, 2012, 03:39:50 PM »
I completed the spoked wheels today, I added the tyre which is a simple o-ring. I ground the inside of the o-ring flat using my Dremel, this allows the tyre to sit flat on the rim. The tyre is a reasonably tight fit on the rim so no glue was needed, I also fitted a valve stem to each wheel using a length of 0.3mm brass tube, I sprayed the rims/spokes/hub with a Gunze grey before fitting the tyre. These wheel are not perfect but they suit my needs.

Des.

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #152 on: October 19, 2012, 04:51:51 PM »
What's not perfect about those wheels?!!

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #153 on: October 20, 2012, 12:08:50 AM »
Excellent wheels, Des!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #154 on: October 20, 2012, 01:06:11 AM »
   Des,
Absolutely gorgeous works my old friend. Master Level project from start to present.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #155 on: October 20, 2012, 06:41:25 AM »
I have had a few guys ask me for a size comparison of the Taube compared to another common aircraft, here it is beside the Albatros D.V. As you can see, the size of the two aircraft are fairly comparable apart from the extra long tail on the Taube. The front end of the Taube is dominated by the huge engine while the Albatros engine is more enclosed, it is interesting to see the changes in aircraft design for such a short period of time.

Des.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #156 on: October 20, 2012, 07:57:06 AM »
Its THAT TAIL that makes it look so much bigger.

Steve

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #157 on: October 24, 2012, 10:45:51 AM »
Those wings are gonna REALLY make it look bigger.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #158 on: October 24, 2012, 10:56:36 AM »
Thanks for reminding me Tony, I new there was something missing  ??? ???

I have actually started work on the wings but I have been battling an eye infection for three days now, the drops I am using are starting to do their job but it makes it difficult to model when one eye is a constant blur. Work will resume hopefully in a few days once I can see properly again.

The wings are not as long as I first imagined, but they are very wide, the wingspan will be 44cm and the width at the widest point will be 9.5cm, so it will be quite a large wing area.

Des.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #159 on: October 27, 2012, 10:01:36 AM »
My eye infection has all cleared so it's now back to work. I have nearly completed one wing, I ran out of materials for the second wing so new stocks arrived yesterday. The wing is made from 3.0mm styrene sheet cut to shape then sanded to the correct thickness, the bend (airfoil shape) was achieved using the boiling water method. The ribs are 0.75mm x 0.5mm Evergreen strips. The ailerons still need to be added. The cross is only printed on paper to check the dimensions, these will be printed on water slide decal paper. I also fitted HGW seat belts and the radiator over flow pipe. Photos show wing just sitting in position.

Des

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #160 on: October 27, 2012, 10:29:28 AM »
Thats a big jump!!! Nice!!!!

Steve

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #161 on: October 27, 2012, 03:20:37 PM »
wow,the wings, what makes a taube look like a taube. one questions, you said you have to add the aileron? did this version(jeannin) have them? i thought they were all wing warpers like a m.s. type n or eindecker. i know ive seen other taubes with more traditional tail feathers,the rumpler taube comes to mind. this build is really turning out fantastic des. your skills never seem to stand still ,always getting better and better and better. when are you gnna start scratching full size replicas?

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #162 on: October 27, 2012, 04:23:48 PM »
Thanks guys for your nice comments.

Scott - when I said the word ailerons I used the term loosely, they will be part of the wing as per the original aircraft and will be the warping type, I found it easier to do this part of the build in two parts. Once I make the 'ailerons' they will be attached to the wings and will appear to be as one, I hope. As you know, the warping part of the wings were made of bamboo, they were bound to the wing ribs so there was a difference in thickness between the ribs and the bamboo giving a step, I hope to replicate this.

Des.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #163 on: October 27, 2012, 11:53:24 PM »
Having now seen this one wing, I'm beginning to see the attraction of this design. It really does look more like a bird than any other aircraft design I've seen yet. Nice work Des!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #164 on: October 29, 2012, 06:23:53 PM »
The second wing is now completed, next step is to make and fit the warping ailerons.

Des.