Author Topic: 1:32 Matchbox SS100 Jaguar  (Read 3372 times)

Offline Davos522

Re: 1:32 Matchbox SS100 Jaguar
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2024, 12:09:22 AM »
Loving this thread, Ian. Beyond being a lifelong fan of old British cars, one of my favorite aspects of it is the fusion of new-tech and old... 3DP parts on an Eisenhower-era kit with eyeballed bits of plastic card and a lot of razor-saw work & filler. My kind of modeling!

Dutch

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2024, 09:37:54 AM »
Caught up!! This is very cool. Nice progress.

Steve

Offline IanB

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2024, 07:23:44 PM »
Welcome aboard hsmed. I too built it as a kid and I was very pleased with it! I guess I just got more picky as I got older!

Thanks Dutch, I am very pleased that I took the plunge and started with the 3d designing and printing. It's a very steep learning curve and I'm by no means an expert. It can also be very frustrating sometimes, but as you will see below, the results are well worth it. I only use it when good old plastic mangling won't do the trick - it's an additional resource, not a replacement.

Glad you like it Steve!

I ran a test print last night of the parts designed so far. Mainly just to check sizes before investing more time adding to bits which may not fit.
I needn't have worried!

First the gearbox mount.

That looks useable as is. I originally designed it a little bigger (2mm!) but caught the error in time and this looks good so I'll build on that.

The seat base also looks good, thankfully!

Slightly smaller than the oversized kit part, and the height (allowing for the floor being too high) looks good too.

I'm using the pocket on the door panel as a reference and that looks good when compared to photos of the real thing.

Finally, the sump. My favourite piece so far!

I think I'll count that as a slight improvement!
Test fitted to the engine block it looks good size-wise too.

I've since removed the lip on the engine which I had left in place, leaving only the mount for the oil filter.
I'm very pleased with how well the detail has printed on it too!

That's useable as is, I won't even reprint it.

A definite "result" there, and huge confidence builder for the next parts.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 04:51:34 AM by IanB »

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2024, 06:13:48 PM »
Seeing your CAD and 3D printing work is truly inspirational. Amazing work!
Zac in NZ

Offline IanB

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2024, 04:50:45 AM »
Thanks Zac, much appreciated! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Just a quick update today as I fitted the sump.

Very happy with how it turned out, even though I cut corners with the oil filter and fitting. I used plastic tube and simply stuck a piece of brass rod in to represent the bolt fitment. I really can't be bothered to print it at this scale as it isn't highly visible and I have more important things to do!

Thanks for looking in, have a great weekend!

Ian

Online RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2024, 08:08:22 AM »
Continuing to be a Masterpiece! Your printed and other Mods are really making a difference!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2024, 07:19:54 PM »
Thanks Rick!

Just a small update, as I have been busy doing other bits and pieces this last week or so, but I think I've now finalised the shape of the seat base.

I tried modifying the original drawing but found it easier to save as a new file and go back to stage one. Note to self - keep a logical order and ensure all references are in place at the beginning!

It took a fraction of the time to redesign the whole thing and I'm much happier with the overall shape and size of it now.

Kit part at top, version 1 in the middle, latest edition at the bottom.

Ian

Offline Davos522

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2024, 12:58:00 PM »
Any progress is good progress, Ian, it’s looking good. A longtime friend (and now, strangely, a cousin by marriage) is a classic car upholstery wizard, and routinely turns out work that looks like your Mk. II seat. But somehow most of the seats in the cars I’ve owned have ended up looking like the kit part...

Dutch

Online RAGIII

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2024, 12:20:54 PM »
Any progress is good progress, Ian, it’s looking good. A longtime friend (and now, strangely, a cousin by marriage) is a classic car upholstery wizard, and routinely turns out work that looks like your Mk. II seat. But somehow most of the seats in the cars I’ve owned have ended up looking like the kit part...

Dutch

Agreed!
RAGIII

Offline IanB

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2024, 07:04:57 PM »
Wow, has it really been 3 weeks since my last update? 

I haven't been idle, but have been doing a lot of playing around with the printed parts. Here's what's been going on chez moi.
Firstly, the seat, since that's where we left off. 

Further tweaks and adjustments to shape and size of the base, mainly in shortening it slightly further, followed by designing the seatback. That of course led to numerous prints, tweaks and re-tweaks of the design until I was happy with it. Bear in mind I have no measurements, so all this is being done until it "looks right".

This is the early design, just to get the overall shape.

Adjustments were made - the back was shortened by raising the bottom edge, and the whole seatback was raised to sit higher on the base, maintaining the overall height of the seat. I widened the front edges to sit around the base better, redesigned the bracket holding the seatback in place, and positioned it a little further forward to eliminate gaps between the back and the base. Once I was sure the overall height was ok, I added a plane and cut the bottom off, adding brackets underneath instead - the height was assured because I just extended the brackets to the original base plane. Another plane was added, again cutting the base, but I didn't remove this part. I widened it slightly to give the base part that the squab was mounted on.

This is where I am now.

A big improvement, but I'm still not sure why those prints aren't as crisp as they should be.

Next, the gearbox. 
This is what I designed.

Upon printing it was obvious that I had made it too small.

Fortunately, Fusion has a scale function, so I enlarged it by 25% and reprinted.

I may even enlarge it a tad more - again the problem is that I have no measurements to work with!

Finally, the wheels. I started with the wheels I designed for the SSKL Merc and resized them and the hubs. A couple of tweaks to ensure they fitted the tyres properly and they are ready for further detailing.

Another issue I've been having is that the upper side of all prints (the side facing the plate and between the supports) is blurred and shiny. I thought at first it was a cleaning issue, but I think I have part cured resin sitting on the top which won't wash off. I've only had this issue since switching to the Mars 4 Ultra and Saraya Tech Fast resin. You can clearly see the difference with the one on the right showing the upper surfaces.

I noticed I had the same issues with the Siraya Tech Exposure test piece.

Notice the inlaid crosses on the far side have shiny residue in them which leaves them blurred at the edges. It also shows the same blotches on the surface.

In an effort to eliminate that, I did another print with the gearboxes mounted vertically. That led to failure of all the vertical parts! I noticed while trying to clean out the failed prints that the film seemed to have a ridge in it, so I emptied the resin vat to take a look.

I may have caused that while removing the failed prints, I'm not sure, but new film has been ordered along with Elegoo Rapid resin and I'll see if that makes any difference.

If anyone has experience of these issues and can offer advise, please speak up!
Meanwhile, there's more designing to be done!

Thanks for looking in,

Ian

Offline IanB

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2024, 03:54:30 AM »
Evening all!

The film was received and I fitted it a couple of weeks back. Printing resumed with the same issues as before, but I got a couple of useable gearboxes and went with those (the uppers won't be visible anyway). I've emailed Siraya Tech on the issue and am awaiting their reply.

Progress then! I cut the UJ off one of the gearboxes to use at the back end of the driveshaft, then removed said driveshaft from the differential, shortened it, and refitted it all. A quick check to make sure I had the lengths right was satisfactory.

Paint was then applied and the whole lot was fitted to the chassis.

It even fits the body!

It's not perfect, but I can live with it. It looks right at least!

I still had issues with the seats as they just didn't look right.
The prints were ok, happy with that, but the height looked wrong.

Then I looked more closely at the top edge of the rear bodywork. Most pics I have seen have a folded hood there which hides the edge, but when I found one without it the problem was resolved - the bodywork is too high at the front! It should actually slope downwards slightly from front to rear. I overlaid the part I had made on the drawing and sure enough, it was about 1mm too high at the front.

With that sanded down I could remove the legs from the seats and still have them at the correct height relative to the bodywork and transmission tunnel. Photos of the seats in place also confirmed that the seats basically sat flat on the floor with only very small runners. Another issue resolved!

Finally, I also found a pic of the rear end without mudguards, which confirmed that the bodywork within the wheel well was just an extension of the bodywork above it. In addition, this cutaway also confirmed the shape as seen in the photo - marked with red here.

The kit part is far too thick and does not align in plan view either at the sides or at the rear, plus it should have a curve at the rear and it is square.
This is what the kit gives us, with the interior insert in place.

Easiest solution: remove kit plastic and replace it!

One gone...

and both...

Not the easiest job, given the thickness of the plastic and the fact that it is so hard, but I used a microsaw and cut it into small pieces to remove it bit by bit.
I will replace the plastic with card to the correct vertical alignment and with the curve at the rear, which will also hide the interior insert which, after all, sits inside the bodywork!

That's the next job, but I am off to the US next Thursday for 6 days and have no more days off before then, so the next update will be after I get back.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2024, 01:03:34 AM »
Very cool! Your problem solving is great and the Jag is starting to shape up.

Steve
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 08:06:06 AM by pepperman42 »

Online RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2024, 02:37:19 AM »
Very cool! Your problem solving is great and the Jag is staring to shape up.

Steve

I agree 100 percent! Your dedication to improving the kit and making it accurate are admirable.
RAGIII

Offline NigelR

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2024, 07:20:57 PM »
Just took a quick look in here to see much madness going on! This will be a massive improvement over the original kit.

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2024, 04:04:37 PM »
Wow an impressive amount of detail and work is going into this one! Looking really amazing  :)
//Ben