Author Topic: WNW SE5a w/Eduard PE  (Read 5752 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: WNW SE5a w/Eduard PE
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 11:53:56 PM »
Hmmm now that you've used super glue you have kinda "petrified" the other filler on the seam. Like Bo says, tape the detail and slow sand it. The worst work looks to be a fair distance from the stitching. Patience.........

Steve

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 12:23:09 AM »
I can sense your level of frustration is increasing and I'm well experienced in that regard myself. You only have to read my recent F.2b build log to see that I had a devil of a time eliminating a fuselage seam and then ran off the rails when rigging it. My advice is to walk away when things look bleak and come back the next day to tackle the problem again. It never ceases to amaze me how a fresh outlook can sometimes make all the difference in the world. In my experience though, and as much as I dislike it, sometimes compromises have to be made. The main thing though is to persevere!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 04:27:58 AM »
Hello Redpiano:

I think with the Radiator grill, before applying the Eduard PE, the modeler is supposed to smooth out the existing radiator details.  It is frustrating.  I would tape the stiching and sand, you are almost there.  On the underside, tape off the details on the underside of the wing, fill in the seam and sand until smooth.  Like Chris said too, sometimes just walk away, or put it back in the box, work on something a little less "fiddly" like an Albators or the Sopwith Pup, and come back to it at a later date. 

Good Luck

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline redpiano

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 07:28:00 AM »
Thanks guys, I'm going to try a higher grit sandpaper, that'll allow me to calm down and go slow and then I can finish it off with a piece of 1000 grit to smooth it.

I purchased a bunch of fantasy miniatures last week so I've been painting those for fun, I'll give the SE5a a try again tomorrow.

@Gunns, I did actually smooth it down, it's just that taking the PE parts off the sprue I bent them and then applying the super glue I just could not control it so it went everywhere, when I get back to it I'll take it apart, sand them both down and go from there again, maybe I'll sand the radiator down further than I already did I don't know.

Offline redpiano

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 09:32:29 PM »
any advice for making new stitching?

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 09:49:27 PM »
I think Archer Fine Transfers makes 1/32 stitching, but I think it is on rib tape.  It is in lengths that might work. Check out their website.

Regards,

Bob

Offline redpiano

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 09:55:09 PM »
Geeeeeezzzz 18$....alrighty then. Thanks.

Offline redpiano

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 06:43:47 AM »
Got back in the mood to finish this stupid thing today, I just put the final part on, tomorrow I'll sand it up and paint it.

I know everyone loves WNW but this has been the worst experience I've had building a model, I just got done tearing off the ailerons and reapplying them because there's an error in the booklet that I didn't notice and I put all the ailerons on upside down. That and the horrible gap on the cockpit.

All in all I've dumped about 150$ into this kit, but yeah so sick of it I just went ahead and tossed the rest of the PE parts into their bag and just used the stock parts, not going to bother lol.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2013, 07:16:21 AM »
  Hang in there Red,she'll be fine my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2013, 07:20:20 AM »
Well you got her together - may as well keep going!!

Steve

Offline redpiano

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2013, 07:33:21 AM »
I enjoy painting the most so s'all good in that regard, I'm just masking off the windshield and glass covers for the wings now, then I'm gonna hit the sack cause I am beat.

Offline redpiano

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 09:06:57 AM »
Couple quick pics of the final paint and weathering, I went a bit overboard with the weathering hoping it would cover up some of the blemishes in the finish, which it did so all is well, I like my models real dirty anyways.

Bracing wire comes tomorrow morning.

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 02:52:01 PM »
Nice work. The weathering is heavy but plausible - looks good!!!

Steve

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 09:23:20 PM »
She looks like a veteran bird at the front---excellent!  The final result appears well worth your travails. ;)  I really like your color/rib shading.  It's quite realistic to my eye.  Great job weathering too!  Way to persevere! ;D

Regards,

Bob

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2013, 09:30:30 PM »
  Red,
Great weathering my friend. Looking forward to the rigging to come.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"