Author Topic: Roland D. VIb Jasta 59 (WNW 1/32)  (Read 4387 times)

Offline FarEast

Re: Roland D. VIb Jasta 59 (WNW 1/32)
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 08:56:21 PM »
Incredible and I love the fabric covering on the internal rib - it looks real!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 01:08:35 AM »
Very well done on the fuselage wood tone! I am from the less is best school on "Grain" so I really like your subtle effect! I am looking forward to your next update!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Rob

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 01:26:05 AM »
Very well done on the fuselage wood tone! I am from the less is best school on "Grain" so I really like your subtle effect! I am looking forward to your next update!
RAGIII

Thanks,
While lots of swirls and knots look very cool, I'm not sure they are as realistic in this situation. There's got to be a balance between visual appeal and reality (for me). I have the Windsock datafile on the Roland and in studying the photos of the wood, it seems that the grain is very subtle. That's what I was going for.
v/r,
Rob

Offline Rob

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 08:54:11 AM »
As promised, I've been building in spurts:)
I finished the cockpit and installed it between the fuselage halves which were prepainted. Only a slight seam to fill and touch up on top and bottom. Worked out just like I planned for once.

I preinstalled the control wires using Uschi thread which is elastic. It will be more difficult to feed thru the turnbuckles and tubing but being elastic, I won't have to deal with sag.

Next step is to paint an overall coat of thinned Taimiya clear yellow followed the various stripes and markings. Thanks for looking!
v/r,
Rob

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2015, 02:50:47 PM »
  Rob,
Fantastic job on her woodgrain my friend. The Roland D. VIa/b is my favorite German WWI kites,so I'll be following closely. No doubt I'll pick up many a good tips as well. Well Done!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline radio

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2015, 01:15:40 AM »
Nice painting Rob.
Cheers
Martin

Offline Rob

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 09:14:09 AM »
Greetings,
The fuselage is definitely looking more colorful-well, as colorful as black and white with a red tail can be :o. I've spent the last few days masking and painting. Other than some minor overspray I think I've got it. Once this has a chance to dry thoroughly, I'll paint the details (fittings, cockpit coaming, etc). I started on the forward port side but quickly realized I needed to be a little more patient.

As always, Thanks for looking!
v/r,
Rob
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 09:53:18 AM by Rob »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2015, 09:17:45 AM »
Beautiful painting Rob, nice and colourful  :)

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2015, 09:20:59 AM »
Really nnice work on the stripe, band and tail painting. Looks great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2015, 09:42:12 AM »
The tail and the stripes look fantastic, Rob!  Amazing what a little color can do.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline radio

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2015, 09:50:32 AM »
Beautiful update, Rob.
Cheers
Martin

Offline FarEast

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2015, 11:16:20 AM »
Rob,

Very nice update and it really is coming to life!

Offline Rob

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2015, 01:08:41 AM »
Thanks to all who have looked in and commented. Your encouraging words are much appreciated!
Progress has been slow and steady. I made a decision not to go crazy with the engine this time. I built it OOB, painted it and picked out details with a brush. I plan on displaying the Roland with the engine shrouds in place and very little would be seen. The engine is installed but the forward cowl is not yet glued.

I've also got the fuselage crosses in place and picked out some of the fittings with grey-green. I will eventually spray a coat of matte or maybe semi gloss to take the shine off.

I've replaced the kits MGs with ones from Gaspatch. The level of detail is incredible. If you haven't got a set yet, I highly recommend them. They are finished with Alclad gunmetal then drybrushed with steel. I painted some details with Mr. Color Brass. It's a little duller and better represents the tarnish that builds up. The exhaust is nearly done as well. Its painted with a combination of Mr color iron and dark iron with a little bit of pastel rust. I will probably fiddle around with it a little more.

I apologize again for the photo quality. I really am trying to get better-it just doesn't seem to be one of those skills that comes easy to me. I've got quite a bit of time off during the holidays. Other than some bike rides and time with my family, I will be spending a lot of it at the bench. I've got a set of Aviattic decals  for the wings that I can't wait to get to.
Thanks for looking!
v/r,
Rob

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2015, 07:09:37 AM »
Rob - just found this for the first time! Must have been a sleep again ::)

Very nice work all round particularly on the woodwork and your masking has worked really well. Like Gregory this has always been a 'favourite' (along with several others of course ;)) - I have this in the stash so will keep a keen eye on proceedings,

Looking forwards to your future updates - Tug

Offline Monty

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2015, 06:20:12 AM »
This is a stunning build with lots of informative and valuable tips - I will be borrowing a lot from you! I particularly like your wood shades - I'm off to buy some Naples Yellow!

Regards,

Marc