Author Topic: Water and oil stained fabric  (Read 1725 times)

Offline nichenson

Water and oil stained fabric
« on: March 10, 2017, 02:48:12 PM »
Does anyone have a good technique to replicated caster oil and water stained fabric?  I am hoping to start my second plane soon after really messing up my first attempt and am wanting to possibly do a E.I or E.II.  They often have large soiled sections.  Any help is appreciated.

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
Re: Water and oil stained fabric
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 11:25:25 PM »
There's several excellent threads on this topic if you search on 'oil staining' with some beautiful built up kits. 

As to recommendations on what medium to use I've been pleased with water soluable oil paints.  They can be mixed with either water or linseed oil.  I dab a small amount of the color and then feather it with water.  If you don't like the way it came out its easily removed.  You can see an example on some minor castor oil staining on the Special Hobby  Nieuport 10 I have in finished models using these paints.   I've also been using colored pencils. 

Charlie
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline Borsos

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 12:54:19 AM »
I think a good method is mixing different techniques. Till now I gave each canvas covered fuselage a postshading with Tamiya or Gunze smoke. More prominently on the aereas that were stained by castor oil. I covered the ribs and strings with thin stripes of masking tape. After removing the masking tape I am used to add a little more smoke on those aereas where the castor oil soakes the fuselage from the inside (this is what happened to Fokker E fuselages e. g.). Last step is using dark brown/black oil paint and to brush it over the soaked aereas to add some different color. No wash, just to the contrary: thick color that is more or less rubbed into the existing coats of colors. You can use stiff dry brushes to remove paint, if you need to. Using this way you can easily control the process and avoid overdoing the process. If you should use linen decals, I'd use them after the shading with smoke and before the use of the oils.
I hope, that helps
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline xan

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 02:52:32 AM »
hello
I just did that

and quite a long time before that

using this product in aurbrush

Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline nichenson

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 01:46:37 PM »
Thanks!  I will try my hand it this.  Hope it comes out as good as the other kits I have seen on here.