Author Topic: Sopwith 1A2 No 6 of Sgt Gabriel Herbert and Adj Charles Borzecki, N62, 1916  (Read 14429 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Thank you all for your kind comments!
I agree with your reasoning on the roundels, Dave, which means that I'll have to paint them to match the rudder.  I was hoping to use some nice decals that I have since I've never painted roundels before, but I do have a set of Montex masks that I'm sure will do just fine.
Antonio, I sprayed all metal panels black, then added the dots with a silver Sharpie.  I then sprayed a coat of Model Master Metalizer Aluminum, then buffed until I had the effect I wanted.
I'm in the process of preshading the fuselage and under surfaces for the cdl.

Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Your pre-shading is superb Bud.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Borsos

What a great effort with the preshading! You are preshading with pastels? Looks like a very interesting technique. This bird is going to be a beauty!
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline xan

My thinking is that the rudder might still be in British colors since the blue-white-red order of colors was the same for both services, while the blue of the roundels would be the lighter French horizon blue.  What do you think?
Hard to say...
the roundels could have been peinted in the Sopwith factory.

and for the french blue , horizon blue is not automatic at all.

the blue is quite dark in nieuports and Farman:

and lighter for Caudron and SPAD:

congratulation for the cowl, it's terrific!
could you please send me the osprey pic you talk about py mp to have an idea about the blue shades?

Xan

« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 05:26:15 PM by xan »
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
Bud, my friend, I am in awe of your pre-shading!  Just amazing
techniques...and I am also wondering if it is done with pastels?

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline RAGIII

Your usual awesome work Bud! The pre shading looks great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline dr 1 ace

Your usual awesome work Bud! The pre shading looks great!
RAGIII

Ditto, Amigo #3
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
 Bud,
Now that's some outstanding artistry my old friend. Very impressive pre shading on the lower wing and her fuselage. Excellent beginnings for an oil soaked fuselage.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
Thanks, guys!  Yes, the preshading is done with pastels.  For me, it's much easier to control than an airbrush for this type of work.
I've painted the CDL on the sides and undersurfaces.  In the harsh, natural lighting, it looks like I went overboard, obliterating the effects of the preshading.  It looks so much better in the flesh plastic.  Besides, I'm weathering in stages to give it more depth as though the oil has soaked through the fabric from the inside as well as coating the exterior.

While I had the airbrush out, I decided to do the undersides of my D.I, as well.

Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Borsos

Both will be wonderfull models. I'll have to try out that pastels-preshading sometimes.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
Thank you, Andreas!  I think you'll really enjoy working with pastels.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline RAGIII

Your pastel work is always beautiful. Looking forward to the next step!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
Thanks, Amigo!  You know I always appreciate your support and generosity.

Got the top color on now.  I used Humbrol Khaki with just a touch of Humbrol 155, the WNW call-out for Proprietary Khaki, to darken it just a bit.  I think it's a pretty good match for the profile colors, but who knows how accurate that is.

Obviously, the upper decking and the tail feathers are not glued, but merely resting on the fuselage.

Thanks for checking in, folks.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
Oh man that's nice work, Bud! The pre-shading on the fuselage looks terrific. You
are going to have to give a tutorial on your pastel technique...it's superb!
A very interesting update, my friend.  Looking forward to the next ones!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline xmald

Simply beautiful work! The cowling is great as well as shading! Trully magnificent work!
Best regards
Filip