Author Topic: Felixstowe markings in the works?  (Read 2639 times)

Offline Chuckt5

Felixstowe markings in the works?
« on: December 03, 2014, 10:36:03 AM »
Just wondering if you are planning any sheets for this upcoming WNW release?

If so, can you give us some teasers of what we can expect?  ;)

Offline rowan broadbent

Re: Felixstowe markings in the works?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 07:45:16 PM »
Hello Chuck,

Yes I'm planning three or possibly more (depends on demand) marking sets for the Felixstowe F2A and as soon as I have the profile drawings finished I'll be able to post some details. Due to the size (and probable cost) of the kit these will be single option sets - I don't anticipate many modellers building more than one example!
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 07:55:13 PM »
Curly white on red please!

Which should be relatively easy to do - rescale the AIMS ones, which fit the Roden model very well.

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/decals/aims/aims72004.htm
http://www.aimsmodels.co.uk/1-72/Decals/1-72-Decals/1-72-decals_1.html

However, there is only one blurred photo of this example and consequently only one side of the hull visible - the other is a pure guess (AIMS opted for ideal symmetry). Many question marks...

And I suppose, Rowan, you would like to test-fit them to the kit. Are you buying this WNW monster? This would make these decals extremely expensive ;)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:00:05 PM by PrzemoL »
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline drdave

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 09:23:36 PM »
A legit tax deductable business expense!

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 09:38:03 PM »
It seems really unlikely to me that the curlicues were symmetrical from side to side... but absent any other info, it seems better that just pure guesswork ....

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 01:12:47 AM »
I'll certainly be buying the kit - yes, of course I'll need it to tailor the decals to but I'll also be building it - I'm still a modeller after all and the prospect is just so exciting! Certainly I've used the "legit business expense" line with Sabine.... and quite often it even IS legitimate....

The question of bi-lateral symmetry often raises itself with many of our chosen WWI decal subjects as, more often than not, we only have a photo of one side of a given aeroplane. Which poses the dilemma: should we go for a mirror image or artificially concoct a "possible" alternative appearance and there are pros and cons for both approaches. Personally I normally go for the repeat/mirror solution, although with the Felixstowe I am leaning towards a logical reconstruction for the other side of the "celtic curly" job- if only to avoid accusations of plagiarism! From a quasi-archaeological perspective, I suppose the mirror/repeat idea has more "academic rigour" as I'm not introducing anything to the record for which no evidence exists - and it is also easier......

I'm interested in what others think about this.
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline Berman

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 01:50:10 AM »
Rowan,
            Will you also be producing a 1/48th scale sets for the Lone Star Models kit of the Felixstowe F.2a?  The black and white splinter markings would also be nice in addition to the white curlicue scheme. You can contact Mike West , of Lone Star Models, at [email protected]

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 03:38:14 AM »
A legit tax deductable business expense!
In France?  I would expect so.

The "curly cue" option seems like an obvious choice because it is so well known and yet WNW chose to not do it.  Sort of reminiscent of WNW's choice to not do Christiansen's black "C" W.12 or W.29 on either of their kits.
Honor Necessity

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 07:52:02 AM »
I'll certainly be buying the kit - yes, of course I'll need it to tailor the decals to but I'll also be building it - I'm still a modeller after all and the prospect is just so exciting! Certainly I've used the "legit business expense" line with Sabine.... and quite often it even IS legitimate....

The question of bi-lateral symmetry often raises itself with many of our chosen WWI decal subjects as, more often than not, we only have a photo of one side of a given aeroplane. Which poses the dilemma: should we go for a mirror image or artificially concoct a "possible" alternative appearance and there are pros and cons for both approaches. Personally I normally go for the repeat/mirror solution, although with the Felixstowe I am leaning towards a logical reconstruction for the other side of the "celtic curly" job- if only to avoid accusations of plagiarism! From a quasi-archaeological perspective, I suppose the mirror/repeat idea has more "academic rigour" as I'm not introducing anything to the record for which no evidence exists - and it is also easier......

I'm interested in what others think about this.

Well, Rowan, interesting points on lack of probability for symmetry and its academic rigour. I think I could sign my name under this, too. Yet, if I were you, I would go for a slightly distorted symmetry, to give more reality to the thing and... avoid plagiarism!  ;)
Anyway, it would be great to see your decal sets for these iconic flying boats! Even if I personally am already decided not to repeat curls and go for blue-white late N4297.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 08:11:37 AM »
Whatever you decide to produce Rowan I am looking forward to seeing them.

Des
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 08:22:31 PM »
Personally I normally go for the repeat/mirror solution, although with the Felixstowe I am leaning towards a logical reconstruction for the other side of the "celtic curly" job

Apart from the not totally unimportant discussion on plagiarism issues, i think that a non-mirrored approach sounds more logical, at least for my ears. If it really were supposed to resemble something celtic, there wouldn't be anything mirrored in it.

Stefan

Kai

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 02:33:51 AM »
Personally, I would be staggered if the painters took the time & trouble to mirror the finish.

After all, they were supposed to be for identification purposes, and it's not as if there was another Felixstowe with a similar curly white on red finish to confuse it with! It would surely have been quicker, easier and altogether more expedient to carry on the general them on the other side of the aeroplane. There was a war on after all! It would look a bit too artificial to my eye when on a completed model, especially a bloody huge one like the Felixstowe. Just would look to perfect, too "modelly".

Having said that, I will certainly buy whatever Rowan comes up with.