Author Topic: WNW Late Fee  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Ian from Doncaster

WNW Late Fee
« on: October 21, 2012, 03:02:33 AM »
Here are the pics of the finished model, with apologies for my photography and the 1:1 scale background!  This was a long journey, but a rewarding one in the end.  The kit looks daunting and very complicated, but taken in stages, and pre-rigged where required, it is not as difficult as it looks.

Bits I liked the most - top wing rib effect, propeller, engine detailing, plenty of rigging, bombs.

Lessons for next time (!!) put the bottom wings in first before fitting the engine and undercarriage - the wings can be fitted more forcibly and correctly.  Also, Prez re-worked the panel behind the pilot on his model, in hidnsight I wish I had followed his lead.  I also broke the undercarriage components early on, so the finished structure is weaker.

The whole assembly is fairly flexible - if the tail assembly looks a little skew compared to the wings, or the wing droops one way or the other, I can carefully twist the model to look more accurate.  Ideally I would like to take more pics, in the dark, as this was a night-operated aircraft in this role.  I can't really get the pics to show the engine detail and weathering, the weathering on the tyres etc.

Anyway, this was a great adventure and I expect my next WNW to go much quicker!  I strongly recommend this kit to all, perhaps not as a first WWI nor WNW kit, but certainly one that most here could build successfully.

Finally, many thanks to everyone for the encouragement and kind words of support and advice during this build.

Ian

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: WNW Late Fee
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 03:21:39 AM »
Ian,
    The new photos make my comments on the original thread far too reserved. Thus I'd like to add: "THING OF BEAUTY & WELL DONE!" and also double the compliments in the original.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 04:19:57 AM »
She's truly stunning, Ian.  Congratulations on the completion of an absolutely gorgeous bird.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 05:02:56 AM »
  Ian,
Truly magnificent Fee! Congratulation my old friend on your finest effort to date.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 05:37:15 AM »
Congratulations, Ian. It is surely a fine project led to the glorious completion! It is great to see yet one more black Fee finished to such a superb standard.
I would only recommend taking new photos with a monotone background. This rocky airstrip is distracting.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 08:46:14 AM »
Superb work Ian! All of that rigging does look enticing and as I just heard today that our winter is predicted to be particularly cold with lots of snow, maybe I'll crack the box and have a go at mine. Your build log will be extremely useful.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 10:54:41 PM »
Go for it Chris, there's a bit of everything in this box!

Prez, you make a good point about the photos - this was an attempt to get pics outside in natural light - I will try and take more against a more plain background.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 01:40:44 AM »
Hello Ian:

Once again, yes, a thing of beauty.  What did you use for rigging?

Thanks
Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 03:12:31 AM »
Very sharp!!! What a great combination of colours.

Steve

Offline michael

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 04:49:53 AM »
absolutely superb Ian i love the colour scheme.

michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 07:59:14 PM »
Beatiful work Ian, she's a lovely looking bird that you can be proud of!!

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 09:32:36 PM »
Thanks everyone :)

Mark, the rigging material is the RAF Flat Wire available via WNW.  It is similar to EZ Line in that it is stretchy and very flexible.  It supports the structure without distortion, and rarely rips out the eyelets.  It is not as rigid as using fishing line, but it is easy to get nice tight lines.  The profile is flat, hence the RAF wire reference, but when stretched the profile becomes more rounded.  I chose this rather than use the EZ Line I already have, because the light colour makes for a good visible contrast against the dark aircraft.

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 11:12:12 PM »
Beautiful work :)

Offline eclarson

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 10:53:17 AM »
Hi Ian,
I just now had a chance to check out your Fee and it is outstanding!  Congratulations on completing that beauty. 

Cheers,
Eric