Author Topic: Not really new  (Read 1271 times)

Offline rolanddvi

Not really new
« on: June 20, 2015, 11:42:28 PM »
Saw in the June edition of the Eduard Info flyer on their website that they will be selling overtrees in the month of July. The listing shows, I believe, just about every 1/72 and 1/48 scale WWI kits that they have produced in the last few years. Just a heads up.

Mike

Offline ALBATROS1234

Re: Not really new
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 12:10:16 AM »
hmmm thats odd. i wonder what this means? i know they have sold molds to revell recently this is where the 1/48 revell albatros d.v, spad xiii and bristol fighter came from. maybe they are going to just stop all together with ww1 stuff and sell the rest to revell. which sucks cuz revell doesnt do profipacks with the 4 decal options or photoetch.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 12:11:33 AM »
but then they just release the ssw d.iii and talked about the new se5a and also releasing a new ww1 kit each year during centenary years.very odd indeed

Offline rolanddvi

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 01:18:30 AM »
I think it is odd also. One of the overtree sets in the flyer was for SSW. Their most recent new WWI release.

Mike

Offline ermeio

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 07:48:35 AM »
odd?
they apply differential pricing and they know that a lot of people around here will merely buy a kit and tons of aftermarket parts and decals.
Their core business is injection moulding and photo etching - they subcontract box art, printing of the boxes, decals and instructions and so on.
I think that their margin on overtrees is larger than the one that they have on week end editions.

Moreover, do not forget that this initiative is to save the forests, and so it is for a noble purpose.

Offline rolanddvi

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 08:59:24 AM »
Good point Ermeio. A business man I am not! Just an old retired Army guy who likes to build models  :)

Mike

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 09:08:06 PM »
but they usually sell overtrees only when they first release a new kit. why would they all of the sudden sell the plastic for a bunch of older molds unless they want to dump stock they have on hand instead of making new boxings with new decal options. its a better value to the modeller to get a profipack with all they bells and whistles than some sprues. this of course is speculation on my part but to me it seems as though they are moving to get out of the ww1 buisness entirely as they have said(promised) they would do many times before. only this time they seem serious.

Offline ermeio

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 09:46:49 PM »
then I'm more inclined to think that they want to boost up their summer market without additional effort letting the customers have the overtrees all at once.
I will definitely profit of this chance... usually when they sell overtrees when they release a model, the lower price of the overtrees is vanished by the shipping costs and they only are useful if you buy the profipack, the T-shirt and so on in order to go over the free shipping threshold.
I bought some overtrees for the new SSW DIII, but I was tempted to buy the J1 as well, but all considered,  I concluded that a weekend or profipack edition is better value. Their on-line prices are higher than those that you will find in  what some shops... I imagine that it is a policy to keep the distributors and the shops alive all over the world :-)
I don't think that they will leave the WWI field as long as we buy their kits (I have some hundreds stashed, anyway... in the case of a catastrophic Eduardexit :-)).
The SSW D III is almost at WNW's level and I'm expecting their SE 5. 1/48 would be the election scale for WW1.
I advise the fellow modelers: buy some SSW overtrees and a Pheon Decals sheet, you won't be dissatisfied...

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 10:13:05 PM »
OK what's an overtree?

Offline ermeio

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 04:08:46 AM »
Over trees are  literally surplus trees of parts, that is you only buy the plastic - complete models without decals, box or instructions.
If you purchase a profipack usually Eduard includes multiple version there, so you can buy over trees and build the remaining version using the spare decals.
Also photo etched parts are sold as overtrees.
Consider that over trees are only marginally cheaper than a weekend kit, therefore it is wiser to buy a we.....

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 05:27:31 AM »
Much obliged.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 01:43:55 PM »
i agree with everything you are saying ermio except eduard has been vocal about stating they have no interest in producing ww1 models anymore.before the ssw d.iii the last ww1 model they made was the oeffag albatros which was the first new tool since the bristol fighter. a few years after the oeffag albatros when there was no new releases a few of us sent emails to eduard asking if they had any plans to put any ww1 out. they replied "we have no interest in producing ww1 aircraft models anymore for the foreseeable future" it was to the point where some of us boycotted all eduard products until they decided to release something for the customers that were responsible for putting eduard where they are today. after several years finally they released the ssw d.iii and say they will release a se5a. it was only after many years of us putting pressure on them before they finally decided to make a ww1 model again. i am only saying i think they are selling off old stock so they can get out of the buisness fully as they had said they would do repeatedly.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 05:53:29 PM »
I'm intrigued by the thought of the forthcoming Eduard SE5a, not least because of the oft-quoted comment about future WWI production. We already have two excellent versions of this fine aircraft from Roden, so there isn't an entirely clear gap in the market and production from scratch costs are very high. We've already seen several models by other manufacturers (beyond WWI) re-boxed and given the "Eduard treatment". I just wonder........

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline rolanddvi

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 08:16:23 AM »
I also noticed that they have reduced their shipping charges to certain ares.

Mike

Offline ermeio

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 05:32:50 PM »
But, to be fair, the over tree prices are not low, since they compare to those of the weekend editions