Author Topic: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery  (Read 56935 times)

Offline mgunns

Re: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery
« Reply #135 on: April 24, 2018, 01:29:44 PM »
Hi Gary:

I like the looks of the decals, wise decision to paint the plastic a lighter shade as the decals seem to darken it up a bit.  Looks too like you're managing to get the compound curves alright.  This is going to be a stunner I dare say.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2018, 06:43:04 AM »
I'm glad to see your decals are making the corners and curves.  Mr. Mark Setter and Mr. Mark softer work very well together.

Well done.

I had some problems with these two a while ago, and have only now more or less figured out which one goes where and how much of each to be used. Fortunately, I'm still able to learn, so I'm not dead yet. At least, I don't think so...!  8)

I use a lot of Future or Pledge, or whatever it's called in your locale.  I had a problem with the Mark Setter leaving white stains on the Future.  Consequently I stopped using Mark Setter for a while.  I decided to try again with a difficult decal, and by a happy mistake I discovered that I could remove the white stain the Mark Softer.

Keep up the good work,

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2018, 05:52:49 AM »
Thanks for visiting, Gaz. It's "Pledge" here in the Great White North." I've already used it under a number of the panels: so far, so good. I tried the "Setter/Softer" combination on the recommendation of Uschi, and have not experienced any decal lifting so far. Fingers crossed!   8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #138 on: May 01, 2018, 10:43:43 PM »
The wood panels are coming along nicely!! Uschi right? I think that's what I read again further back.

Steve

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #139 on: May 02, 2018, 12:16:56 AM »
Steve,

Yes,they are the Uschi decals. However, the sheets that I'm using are, I fear, no longer available. Before I started the paneling I ordered another set of decals using the same product number, only to find that, although the number of the new set matched my earlier set, the colours were different. Fortunately I'll have just enough of the "old set" to get the fuselage done, all things being equal.

Speaking of which, here is yet another "mini update." I thought through several options on to how to get the plywood in place around the cockpit and eventually settled on the “one full panel with the cockpit opening cut out” method. I wasn’t too sure as to how this approach would fare as there is something of a small compound curve on that panel. In the event, however, it worked out all right with a bit of cajoling and a bit more of brute force. The last real challenge will be the vertical stab and the lower fuselage:

And lastly, a request: does anyone have any experience with using the HGW Airplane Nail Set for the WNW Albatros? Case in point: on the front of the envelope I'm told to "let the decal dry for four hours." However, on the back of the envelope where the "directions" are printed, I'm told to "let the decal dry out for two hours." I wonder what other "discrepancies' will surface during the application phase. I have only one set of these decals thanks to Lance Carroll (thanks again, Lance!) and the sheet is no longer in production. Obviously, I want to get it right the first time I use these, as the first time will be the only time and chance I have to "get it right." The thought of corking it up halfway through the nail application, and all of the subsequent problems after (hopefully) getting the paneling right is becoming interesting, exciting and challenging. So if anyone can post a few good hints and tips on how not to cork it up, I'll be very grateful!

Sorry to be so slow on this project. Life does get in the way sometimes!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #140 on: May 02, 2018, 01:22:42 AM »
She's shaping up beautifully, Gary!  Those panels look awesome!  I also have that nail set and am interested in how you proceed with them.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #141 on: May 02, 2018, 02:09:16 AM »
She's shaping up beautifully, Gary!  Those panels look awesome!  I also have that nail set and am interested in how you proceed with them.
Cheers,
Bud

Thanks, Bud: much appreciated! Well, maybe I'll "get by with a little help from my friends!" However, my final defensive position will be to cut a few sections from the nail sheet that were to go on the forward fuselage (don't think I'll need those as the entire forward fuse was overpainted in the light blue). Then I'll spray a test area on some plasticard and try the instructions to see how the "nails" apply. With practice like that I ought to be in the ballpark, if not the infield.

Thanks for visiting. More anon!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Online RAGIII

« Reply #142 on: May 02, 2018, 08:24:16 AM »
Cheers,
Bud

I agree with Bud on the look of the panels!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #143 on: May 03, 2018, 07:09:29 AM »
Gary,
    I have had similar experience with directions for HGW transfers for 109G's.  One part of the directions says 8 hours, and one says 6. 

The most irksome part of the HGW transfers is the fact that they don't all behave.  When they work, nothing looks better.  And they work best on an ultra-smooth surface.  Any roughness, and they seem not to adhere despite sitting for 8 hours.  But an ultra smooth surface doesn't seem to guarantee adherence, either.  I wish that I was the only person that has had the problem.  But better modellers than I have had the same disappointments.

Hope your nails work better!

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #144 on: May 05, 2018, 12:42:40 AM »
Thanks for your replies and tips, guys. This is just the kind of feedback I'll need. I did find a short video on the HGW website, but it generated a few additional queries for me. Fortunately, some are now answered via your replies.

"Ultra-smooth surface." With the panels complete (more progress yesterday) I intend to apply a couple of thin coats of Pledge/Future after washing the surface. I hope that this will "smooth out" the surface sufficiently.

"They can't get too dry." Vital information! With what I saw in the video and what I have in printed instructions, I've got "drying times" of two, four, six and eight hours. Evidently, a longer time is better/safer. 

"...don't use any setting solutions on them." Interesting, in that the video on the HGW site has the modeller applying "Mr. Mark Softer" over the entire wing of his FW190 before applying his sheets of "rivets." However, I'll take the advice provided here from someone who is in modelling and not sales!  ;)

"You need to use the 'free lines' underneath..." Thanks for this tip. Any extra free lines are yours. Please send me your mailing address via PM.

Thanks again, gentlemen. BTW, here's the link to the HGW video I found, in case you haven't seen it, or others of the same type, yet.  http://hgwmodels.cz/en/blog/gallery8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #145 on: May 06, 2018, 02:18:02 AM »
Well, gentlemen, the panel decaling is finally over and successfully completed:

I'm very happy to say that the balance of the paneling went off very well, no problems experienced. I finished the application last night, gave the fuselage until this AM to dry, then washed, rinsed and dried the fuselage to get rid of any excess setting solution. Next up will be a couple of coats of thinned Future/Pledge to seal the decals and prepare for the nail set application. That'll be in a few days but for now I'll relax a bit and do some detail painting: cockpit coaming, tail skid assembly, a touch up of the nose section that took a bit of a beating while the paneling was done...that sort of thing. I'm happy that all went well but I'm equally happy to be back in my comfort zone doing things I've done for quite a while!

Thanks very much for visiting. Have a superb weekend!  8)

Cheers!
Gary

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #146 on: May 06, 2018, 02:34:31 AM »
Paneling looks great !!!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #147 on: May 06, 2018, 02:55:00 AM »
Very, very nice, Gary!  I love the look.  Those Uschi decals (the newer, high res ones) really do the job.  I've used them on several models and have been very pleased with the results.  This Albatros is shaping up to be a real show stopper.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #148 on: May 06, 2018, 05:30:54 AM »
Hi, Bud and Ed,

Thanks very much for your kind comments, and for stopping by. Bud, we should compare notes as to any amendments made to the directions included with the Uschi decals. I made at least two major amendments: used frisket paper instead of the yellow tape the directions called for; and I purposely over-sized the decal panel by up to one mm just to be sure that all of the curves were covered.

And I apologize for the two photos used to announce the end of the paneling phase. This is the one I should have used!  ;D

Best to All!  8)

Cheers!
Gary

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #149 on: May 06, 2018, 06:37:48 AM »
Cheers!
Gary