Author Topic: decal question  (Read 1400 times)

Offline ronv

decal question
« on: May 11, 2014, 02:31:14 AM »
I'm having trouble with decals on a rudder. the kit in question is the WNW Sopwich Triplane (my first WNW kit). The red/white/blue decal completely covers the rudder on both sides. My problem is where the two decals meet at the edges. I can get them to wrap around the edge. I used micro set. Any suggestions?

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: decal question
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 03:10:03 AM »
Micro Sol is stronger than Set and will conform decals over extreme edges. I use both.

You could also try a hair dryer -- wet the edge with a smear of future, hit it with some heat and gently bend the edge of the decal with your fingertip wetted with future until it complies

Offline davecww1

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 05:52:23 AM »
Hi ronv,
I agree with Bo, you need the stronger solvent like Micro sol, also make sure you use a sharp x-acto blade, and carefully slice the decal film on the edge that you want to wrap over the edge, probably every 1/4" around the rudder. slice at a 90 degree angle to the edge, just through the decal hanging over the edge until you hit the rudder.  This allows the decal film to bend around the curved edges and avoids wrinkles.  This is especially important on the curved edge of the rudder, not so much on the flat side. 
Dave

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 09:36:06 AM »
I would use the hairdryer, but make sure the first side is properly stuck down before doing the other.

Alternatively, paint the markings - a rudder like this is straightforward to mask?

Offline ronv

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 08:09:28 AM »
Got micro sol today and it worked... thanks guys.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 08:14:36 AM »
Got micro sol today and it worked... thanks guys.

Glad to hear it, Ronv.  Good stuff, that Micro-sol.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline vincentm

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 08:15:11 AM »
Alternatively, paint the markings
This is also what I usually do with striped rudders. Most of the times, the center color is the lightest. Paint the rudder in this color first, then mask the central stripe you want to keep that color and paint the others on each side of it. Unmask and you're done.

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 06:35:39 PM »
I had the same concern with the rudder on the WNW SE-5a.

In the event I prepped it by spraying it gloss white.

It was left alone to cure for several years ( yes several years) not by intent but because I bought the kit when it was released and finally found time and motivation to do more work on the kit.

I bought some Mr Mark Setter and Mr Mark Softer from a model store in Japan.

The Mr Mark Setter is cloudy in colour and acts as an adhesive to help the decal conform.

I did one side at ea time and then very gently brushed a drop or so of Mr Mark Softer ( the clear fluid) around the edge of the oversize decal. I left it well alone overnight.

The effect was remarkable as the decal wrapped itself around the edge of the rudder and looked as though it was painted on.

I did the same with the other side being careful to align the white areas correctly.

Now just going through the same exercise with my DH-9 rudder see picture for comparison.

Also did the same thing on my Snipe rudder and got the same good results.

Hope this info is of some help?