Author Topic: Roden Spad XIII sprue images  (Read 9556 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Re: Roden Spad XIII sprue images
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2021, 10:00:59 PM »
Someone in the Ukraine is advertising the new Roden Spad for sale on Ebay, so we have borrowed their photos which give a clearer idea of the parts of the new kit.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2021, 10:36:23 PM »
Once again thanks for sharing Dave! These are much better views for sure. My impression from viewing is that overall the molds and details are much more crisp than on the SPAD VII. The seat looks great although I would love to see it from the other side of the sprue. It "appears" that they give the covered and uncovered piping from top wing to fuselage. Again just an impression from the photos and we will know more once someone gets the kit in their hands I am sure! I Hope this one sells a ton because I really want to see the Avro and Strutter, Not to mention the Late SPAD XIII variant  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2021, 10:50:25 PM »
Once again thanks for sharing Dave! (...) I Hope this one sells a ton because I really want to see the Avro and Strutter, Not to mention the Late SPAD XIII variant  8)
RAGIII

Same thanks to Dave and same hope, here!
Richard

Offline OEFFAG 153

• Just another Wingnutter
    • Terfors Creative
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2021, 03:48:17 AM »
Thanks for posting Dave.

Those look very promising, and I agree – the casts look crisper than previous offerings from Roden.
Clever way of solving the different wing tips. However, from expereince, these types of but-joins can be a bit tricky if the surfaces aren't completely "flat" (guessing there are no locating pins?). I think there may be a hint of flash on the tailfin as well?

I'll get one for sure!

/Mikael
Building the WnW Hansa W.12 and Junkers D.1.

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2021, 02:11:54 AM »
The kit is already available in Poland, for instance here:

https://www.martola.com.pl/en308/produkty92988/spad_xiii_c_1_early

I will have it in a couple of days. ;)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2021, 02:20:41 AM »

If you don't mind when you get the kit take some shots of the opposite sides of the sprues so we can see the fuselage framework and the seat from a different angle.
RAGIII

Online PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2021, 03:17:39 AM »

If you don't mind when you get the kit take some shots of the opposite sides of the sprues so we can see the fuselage framework and the seat from a different angle.
RAGIII

Sure I will :)

Offline Monty

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2021, 03:53:56 AM »
I don't think the separate wing tips and ailerons will be a problem at all, a few swipes of the craft knife and sandpaper will make that join just fine - but the breakdown of parts is quite clever - not only are the early and late wingtips possible, but the "pocket extensions" too, as seen in this diagram: (not sure where it comes from...) posted here for research purposes, and I will remove if necessary...

Looking forward to this kit...

Regards,
Marc

Offline mgunns

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2021, 04:30:19 AM »
Thanks Dave for providing the Sprue shots and updated comment.  Thanks too to the others for their input regarding this kit.  It looks to be a real winner for Roden.  A good choice to be sure of a long awaited kit.  The detail looks much crisper and better defined than what we have seen on previous Roden WWI kits.  I am looking forward to it's release here in the States.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2021, 04:35:16 AM »
I don't think the separate wing tips and ailerons will be a problem at all, a few swipes of the craft knife and sandpaper will make that join just fine - but the breakdown of parts is quite clever - not only are the early and late wingtips possible, but the "pocket extensions" too, as seen in this diagram: (not sure where it comes from...) posted here for research purposes, and I will remove if necessary...

Looking forward to this kit...

Regards,
Marc

Marc,
Toms Model Works actually did those pocket extensions in PE at one time. They don't seem to be available anymore  :'(
RAGIII

Offline Monty

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2021, 03:02:22 AM »
You're right, Rick, would be quite suitable for PE parts and the rivet detail would pop! ATB, Marc

Online PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2021, 01:33:46 AM »
My Spad has just arrived.
What I like:
fine detail on wheels, exhausts, Vickers guns, enhanced HS engine blocks (the other engine parts are on the old sprue known from Spad7),  fittings on wings surfaces, not bad vent louvres, colourful sheet with colour schemes.

What I do not like
not perfect transparent part,  luckily the windscreen used in this model is the best of 4 present in the sprue
also some nasty ejector pin traces inside the fuselage, massive rigging stations on the struts, probably to be replaced with eyelets or AM PE elements.

The strut mounting holes are not very sharp. They will require some work with a drill. Not very deep either. But if they are as in recent Stearman then with H intermediate struts assembly should not be a problem.

The butt joint between the wing tips and the wins body will definitely require some filling as the edges are not sharp. But it seems the elements depth is about the same, so no serious problem should arise here, imho.

More to tell will be possible when I start building it but I will go for it in some months, there is a queue to my modeling desk.

All in all a very promising kit, I am looking forward to build it.

If you wish for other photos, I will be glad to take more.

And for those eager to see the assembly sequence - here are the shots of the instruction

« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 03:43:13 AM by PrzemoL »

Online PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2021, 03:41:00 AM »
And few more shots.

After cleaning the H-strut pins from some flash and a bit of drilling I was able to stand the strut in the wing holes, but it was not very stable, it fell just after the photo was taken

This is what was best I could without serious sanding do to the wing tip joint

The main fault for this gap is a clear shift between the mould halves

but even if it is sanded down the groove will remain as the edges are not sharp.

Still, a session with filler will care for it, certainly. I have seen much worse cases! What is most important - the thickness and the chord of the elements is identical!

The said shifts between the mould halves may render some parts useless, especially those with circular cross-sections:

If you decide to open the engine these pipes will be better replaced with wire.

At the end, let me stress once more - I am extremely happy to see this new release. Roden quality IS IMPROVED, but, as with everything, it can still be enhanced :-)
I am definitely going to have fun with this build and will welcome more new releases from our friends in Ukraine.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2021, 04:00:19 AM »
Thank You for the further detailed photos of the sprues. I look forward to being able to do the in depth review(when the kit arrives in the States). Overall My Impression is very good. More at a later date of course. I will have to move this one to the top of the build list when I get the kit!
RAGIII

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2021, 08:06:45 PM »
Looking forward to future reviews and builds  :D
‘Not all who wander are lost‘