Author Topic: Military Records  (Read 891 times)

Offline Jimmy

Military Records
« on: November 12, 2016, 01:08:21 AM »
I see that we have a fair number of veterans and current members of the military.  I want to put this out there in case anyone could help me.

Hello everyone,

My uncle was in the U.S. Army in WWII, and the USAF in the Korean War.  He passed away in 2009.  One of the things I got of his was
a framed wall hanging of his medals and ribbons.  In the frame are his oak leafs, his wings with caduceus (he was a doctor), a bronze star
and an air medal.

Once, my sister and I asked him what he did to earn those medals.  All we ever got was a smile and "Oh, let's not talk about that."  We asked
him if he was in a MASH unit.  He said no.  MASH was army, and he was in the Air Force.  So, we never got any information from him.

I tried contacting the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, but was told that his records were destroyed in a fire there in
1973.  We hear of things in the military being done in triplicate.  I was just wondering if anyone here might know of any other source
I could check to find my uncle's military records.  The National Personnel Records Center says on their website that no other
copies of their records were maintained.  I'm hoping somebody might have information to the contrary.

Offline rolanddvi

Re: Military Records
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 08:28:14 AM »
Hello Jimmy,

I've never done this but you might try posting something in the "Air Force Times" newspaper. You might be able to find someone or an organization that can help you out. Do you know what unit(s) he was with? Did he register his DD 214 discharge papers at his local courthouse? Just some ideas. Good Luck!!

Mike

WarrenD

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 10:33:31 AM »
Jimmy, you, I, and a lot of other folks are in the same boat. That fire destroyed so much. If you know his units, you might try reaching out on Facebook, or website dedicated to those units.

HTH,

Warren

Offline mike in calif

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 10:36:21 AM »
Is there any chance you have any photos that may indicate where he was? Types of A/C, tail codes ETC?
 Best of luck.

Offline Jimmy

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 09:31:50 AM »
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I don't know what his unit was.  I do have some letters that he wrote when he was in Korea.  I'll go through those again to see if he mentions anything about his unit or where he was stationed.  I've seen some pictures of him while in uniform, but there were no planes in the background.

I'm not familiar with a DD 214.  What kind of information would that have in it?