Author Topic: Forssman Giant Triplane  (Read 5527 times)

Offline Flyjunkie

• wherever You go, there You are...
Forssman Giant Triplane
« on: June 16, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »
Well, there are those in this group who know I really like the giant multi engine Bombers Germany developed during WW One. I just really like them (proof is I own all 4 variations of the Gotha by Roden and have started to build them).
Well my Research has shown me even larger Bombers then the Zeppelin Staaken that where designed and developed, even if they never got far enough along for actually flight and military use.
Well my No. #1 Behemoth of the Kaiser has the be the FORSSMANN (Mannesman or Poll) Giant Triplane. it had a 165 foot long wingspan and was to be powered by 10 Engines!!! insane how such a giant was developed less then 20 years after the Wright Brothers' first flight.

Anyway, there is currently no  Model of this Giant available.. But I have been in contact with some Fellow Fans of the Forssman , who are interested in Scratch building a 1/72 scale model of the Bomber..(you can't go bigger scale because at 1/72 scale the wings are about 28 inches long).
Once the scratch built is finished, a number of us will pay for resin copies to be made...

Artist's rendition of the Forsmann bombing New York City , which it's rumored if it had been built- the Forssmann could have possibly done..

The only remains of the Forssmann, one of it's 8 foot diameter landing gear wheels.. this is on display at the Imperial War Museum..

to give everyone an idea of truly Gigantic the Forssmann was to be, here's a Gotha and a SE5A for reference to size, the Forssmann's wings are over twice the length of the Gotha's wings... :o

I have been asked by the Gents who plan to do the Scratch building if there are others who would be interested in purchasing a 1/72 scale replica of the Forssmann??? the more, the Merrier and it will reduce cost per person if there's a sizable number of Forssmann Fans involved....

Thanks in advance.... ;)

Dean ~~~ 8) 8)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 02:23:53 PM by Flyjunkie »
"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.." ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Whiteknuckles

Re: Forssman Giant Triplane
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 10:59:22 AM »
That is.......immense Dean!! :o

Could you imagine how big a 1:32 version would be!!
What did/would it use as it's powerplants?

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Flyjunkie

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 02:04:26 PM »
Andrew..
   they never listed what the Engines where to be in the Forssmann Giant.. a prototype was found in 1919 at the Mannesmann-Mulag-Werk in Westhoven Germany... it was never completed, unfortunately.. ;)

if WNW made a 1/32 scale model of this Behemoth, the wingspan would measure 5.16 feet..?!?!?!?!!!! :o

Immense, yes I would agree Andrew... :D

Dean ~~~ 8) 8)

Offline Flyjunkie

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 12:53:20 AM »
it seems I got Will Boucher , Owner and Artist of http://www.wwiaviation.com/

to draw up some beautiful pictures of the Forssman (Poll)

this one shows the scale against a Gotha G.II and a S.E.5a..

the Forssman in all it's Gigantic-ness.. it is a four story tall Aeroplane... :o

I am just insanely Impressed with the Forssman!!!

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 03:14:04 AM »
  Dean,
Sometime ago WWI Aero had an excellent article on the Forssman Giant. It's a great read and if you'd like I can see if I still have that issue for . I'd be more than happy to scan it for if you wish.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Flyjunkie

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 06:23:38 AM »
  Dean,
Sometime ago WWI Aero had an excellent article on the Forssman Giant. It's a great read and if you'd like I can see if I still have that issue for . I'd be more than happy to scan it for if you wish.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

soo very kind and thoughtful of You Gregory!!! Yes Please i would love to get a scanned copy of the Article!!!
I have searched the Web extensively for information and while I have found some, I desire more.. :)

I just found and purchased a copy of "The German Giants" by Grosz & Haddow on Amazon.. only $40!!!!  from what I have read that is the Bible of German Giant Aeroplanes of the Great War.. so am happy to be having that great tome soon in my hands... 8)
Yes Please Gregory Sir.. i would love to get scanned copy of that Article, if it is not too much trouble... :D

Thank you very much My Friend,

DEAN ~~~ 8) 8)

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 06:58:30 AM »
  Dean,
It may take a bit of time to locate,but soon as I find it I'm contact you for your home e-mail address.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Flyjunkie

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 07:55:51 AM »
  Dean,
It may take a bit of time to locate,but soon as I find it I'm contact you for your home e-mail address.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

No Worries My friend, No worries.. when you have time and find it, that will be fine... :D

Here's a photograph of the interior framework of the "Poll Giant"....

Offline Jim52

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 08:13:56 AM »
Looks like the inside of a covered Bridge! ;D 8)

Jim

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 08:24:59 AM »
Man, that's going to be a massive project! I hope you plan to keep us updated on progress.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Flyjunkie

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 10:54:39 AM »
Looks like the inside of a covered Bridge! ;D 8)
Jim

Yes it does Look like the inside of a covered bridge.. that was meant to Fly... ;D ;D

Man, that's going to be a massive project! I hope you plan to keep us updated on progress.

Cheers,

Chris

I shall Chris.. waiting to hear if Scrap builder #2 is going to get in on it with us... Scrap builder #1 is all ready to go, but really wants #2 involved so that the resulting model will be as realistic and perfect as we can possibly get it...  ;)
I am offering my services as Humble Lackie to Both Gents.. (i can't scrape build for shit, but I am offering assistance as needed).

Should know by this coming weekend who's in and who's not... Then i will enlighten everyone as to who's who with this special project.... ;)

Dean ~~~ 8) 8)

Offline Flyjunkie

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 02:32:40 AM »
O.K.  Update for 6/20/2012 :

The Project has officially  begun and we have the extremely talented Aviation Artist Michael Backus working on it.. ;D ;D

Michael is well known for his beautiful and inspiring Paintings of WW I aeroplanes.. please check out his online studio for the caliber of his Artistic works...:

www.backusstudio.com

Michael will make the Forssmann in a 1/72 scale, for us Modelers .. and a 1/144 scale for "Wings of War" players.. who desire complete control of the game board with  this monster's 13 inch wingspan in that scale... ;)

This is going to be Great and with Michael's artistic talents, we will get a wonderful Resin Model made of this Behemoth..
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:19:29 AM by Flyjunkie »

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 02:48:41 AM »
  Dean,
Any rough idea of the per-unit cost of the 1/72 and the 1/144 scale yet. By the way I'm still searching for the issue of WW I Aero with the Forssman article in it.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Jose Chaica

• Jose "Von Muttley" Chaica
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 03:58:46 AM »
Very interesting subject... while I donīt have interest in 1:72 scale, I might consider something bigger... ;D
Would it be possible to share the available information (photos, articles, etc)with us, all the other interested? Thanks.
Jose Chaica, from Portugal.

Offline Lyle

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 10:22:02 AM »
I have that issue, too (probably in the attic right now)--love the cover painting!
Here's a little snippet of it I had floating around in my WWI folder.
A monster plane in any scale! 
It had a bit part in Indiana Jones and the Attack of the Hawkmen (although it was redesigned with scalloped trailing edges...more batlike and thus suited to the evil Hun).  Neat to see it flying!
Best, Lyle

Lyle