Author Topic: Sopwith 1A2 No 6 of Sgt Gabriel Herbert and Adj Charles Borzecki, N62, 1916  (Read 14421 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Thanks so much, Ernie and Filip!  You guys are always so generous with your praise, it's enough to make an old guy blush.

I got this one painted, decaled and ready for assembly.  I went against the combined and well researched recommendations of my esteemed colleagues and dear friends, Dave and Xan, and went with the expedient of using French roundels that I had on hand instead of painting.  Sorry guys.

Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
Bud, the wings look terrific!  Forgive my ignorance, but how did you get
the beautiful shading on the decals...does that show through from underneath,
or is it done afterward and is it with pastels?  It looks perfect to me, my friend.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Borsos

Again wonderful progress, this will be a masterbuild! The lighter shade of blue looks fine on the roundels!
A joy to follow your progress!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
Thanks, Ernie and Andreas!
Ernie, the rib shading on the roundels is post-shading with pastels.  Extreme care is a must here.  First of all, I spray a couple coats of clear flat to reduce tape adhesion.  Then I lay Aizu Micron tape lightly over the ribs.  I don't really press the tape down as I would for other masking jobs.  To avoid going overboard with the shading (not always successful), I use a small, soft, short bristle brush using very light strokes to apply the pastels, then a larger, stiff bristle brush to remove the excess and blend it.   I then, very carefully and slowly, pull the tape back on itself and if all goes well, the decals remain unharmed.  To finish it off, I brush one more time then seal it with a clear coat.  Hope that's useful.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

As always your post shading is outstanding! As for the roundel color I think the choice is great as long as you went with your preference!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Bud,
    That Post Shading is excellent; since I picked up this technique from you several years back I've been getting far too aggressive with it, and need to follow your example more closely. You have a really spectacular Build going here, keep to the course! Great colours, wonderful finish, and as I said, great shading.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline xan

Hi Bud great work endeed!
I have some questions:
Does the kaki color you applied represent the PC10 british paint?
the proportion between the roundel's diferent colo is quite strange, but i don't know if it was a sopwith feature.
Could you verify it with pics or something else?

Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline xmald

Looking great Bud! I can`t wait to see her assembled!
Best regards
Filip

Offline ALBATROS1234

very nice finish bud

Offline stefanbuss

To finish it off, I brush one more time then seal it with a clear coat.
I have to confess i was never able to achieve success using that method. In every single case all my post shading, using pastels, was lost when i applied the final coat. I am very much envious - you are doing this regularly, and it looks sooooo easy.

Stefan

Offline markleecarter

Absolutely brilliant shading work - totally convincing, particularly on the fuselage.  :D

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Totally awesome work Bud, your shading technique is second to none.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
Thanks, guys!  The Albatros has been eating up all my time, but hopefully I'll get a bit more done on this one soon.

Hi Bud great work endeed!
I have some questions:
Does the kaki color you applied represent the PC10 british paint?
the proportion between the roundel's diferent colo is quite strange, but i don't know if it was a sopwith feature.
Could you verify it with pics or something else?

Xan

Xan, from what I can gather from several sources (WNW instructions among them), it seem that some early Airco and Sopwith products, DH-2s, Strutters and Pups for example, were doped in a khaki color before PC10 was settled on.  From the photos I have on hand of this ship, the upper surfaces do seem to be a bit lighter than PC10.
As for the roundels, they're probably not accurate at all.  I simply used some French roundels I had on hand (for SPAD XIII, I think) that seemed to match up pretty well with the Roden roundels in size and shape.  Accurate or not, I'm relatively satisfied with the overall look.  Of course, your opinion matters a great deal to me, Xan, especially in regards to French colors and markings, so I appreciate your input, as always.
Cheers,
Bud
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 03:16:06 PM by coyotemagic »

Offline dr 1 ace

Looking Good Amigo !!!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
Looking Good Amigo !!!

Ed
Thanks, Amigo!  Sorry it took nearly a month to respond.  Been busy with the Albatros and property stuff.
I did manage to finish the Albatros and get back to this one, hopefully in time for the French GB deadline.
Got the tail feathers rigged.

(The offending piece of lint has been removed from the forward port fin bracing wire.)
Cheers,
Bud