Author Topic: If Roden resume production of new WW1 kits, what subjects would you buy?  (Read 35578 times)

Offline Jeff K

I forgot one in 1/32nd scale that would be a fairly easy Modification: SE5.
RAGIII
yeah that'd be popular. Albert Ball.

Roden don't shy away from ace's markings, so a good choice.

Offline RichieW

Reading through this I forgot a couple of big wish list items:

1/32 Avro 504 and Vickers Gunbus.

Richie

Offline kkarlsen

• 'Old modeller' - Trying to catch up!
My wishlist for kits I would like Roden to tackle:

1) Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.2c

2) Short Admiralty Type 184

3) Curtiss JN-4 Jenny

4) Sopwith 1½ Strutter

5) Avro 504

A longshot: Friedrichshafen FF.49

Kent

Offline Ryan

Reading through this I forgot a couple of big wish list items:

1/32 Avro 504 and Vickers Gunbus.

Richie

My exact suggestions, well done.
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline RLWP

• Bodger

3) Curtiss JN-4 Jenny

4) Sopwith 1½ Strutter

5) Avro 504

Kent

That's an interesting and considered list, The Shorts is an important aeroplane, and I doubt we will see that one kitted

I shall take your list of five, delete the 184 and substitute a SPAD XIII. The rest are serious omissions, I'm amazed e haven't had a 1/32 Jenny yet

Richard

Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Online RAGIII

3) Curtiss JN-4 Jenny

4) Sopwith 1½ Strutter

5) Avro 504

Kent

That's an interesting and considered list, The Shorts is an important aeroplane, and I doubt we will see that one kitted

I shall take your list of five, delete the 184 and substitute a SPAD XIII. The rest are serious omissions, I'm amazed e haven't had a 1/32 Jenny yet

Richard

I agree reference the 184 and would add that the other very large Bombers suggested in other posts would be costly and and IMHO, limited in sales. Again My Opinion is do single seaters not available and Perhaps some of the Iconic two holers suggested. The Strutter is one that I think would rank in sales with the single seaters!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Pup7309

There are some nice suggestions here.

I mentioned some obvious ones followed by more esoteric because Roden, I imagine, will initially be looking at money makers to get the ball rolling to finance others.

Whatever Roden, CSM etc bring out I’ll consider buying, just as long as they are decent kits and someone keeps the flag flying! I think there is a big opportunity for a model company here for WW1 in all scales now WNW has blazed through the sky.
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Gene K

Another vote for a 1/32 Hanriot HD.1 ... with parts for the HD.2.

Gene K

Offline Jeff K

3) Curtiss JN-4 Jenny

4) Sopwith 1½ Strutter

5) Avro 504

Kent

Richard

I agree reference the 184 and would add that the other very large Bombers suggested in other posts would be costly and and IMHO, limited in sales. Again My Opinion is do single seaters not available and Perhaps some of the Iconic two holers suggested. The Strutter is one that I think would rank in sales with the single seaters!
RAGIII
this. i can think of about 3 two seaters yet to be kitted that i would expect to sell well: 1 1/2 Strutter (really well), DH.4 (pretty well) Breguet 14 (pretty well).

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
How about kits in the slightly larger scale of 1/24?

Surprised nobody has suggested it yet?

The kits would not be significantly larger than 1/32 and it is a whole lot easier to see what you are building in the slightly larger scale.

The old Revell 1/28th kits of the Dr.1, camel, DVII, Spad have been around for decades so they must sell?

Offline Jeff K

Trumpeter, etc. do 1/24. i'd never by anything that big that doesn't actually fly (picture a 1/24 SPAD dwarfing a 1/32 DH.9, not a good look), so i'm the wrong person to ask...

but i don't see a whole lot of people on the internet building those kits.

Dekenba1

How about kits in the slightly larger scale of 1/24?

Surprised nobody has suggested it yet?

The kits would not be significantly larger than 1/32 and it is a whole lot easier to see what you are building in the slightly larger scale.

The old Revell 1/28th kits of the Dr.1, camel, DVII, Spad have been around for decades so they must sell?

It's a niche within a niche. Sales would probably be far too low.

The old Revell kits must sell in small numbers. In all my time modelling, I've never seen one built.

Personally, I find 1:32 perfect for WWI kits. Big enough for tons of detail, but small enough to show & keep costs reasonable.

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
Probably not seen many built cos they are old kits circa 1958 in the case of the DR.1 and have been somewhat eclipsed by the WWW Roden and CSM kits of the last decade.

I have built 5 Revell Dr.1’s over the years.

Try and find one to have a look,- you might be surprised it really is not that big, esp as the full size aircraft was quite small.
You might even find your 1/24 spad is a bit smaller than a 1/32 DH-9 and even smaller than a1/72 Staaken /Felixstowe by a fair margin.

If you had suggested a series of 1/32 biplanes just over a decade ago you probably would have been shouted down by the 1/48 1/72  afficionados as saying nobody in their right mind would pay over a hundred US for a 1/32 biplane.

Strange things markets and customers.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
If you had suggested a series of 1/32 biplanes just over a decade ago you probably would have been shouted down by the 1/48 1/72  afficionados as saying nobody in their right mind would pay over a hundred US for a 1/32 biplane.

If you had said it ten years ago, the Roden DR.I would have been in production for about five years and selling. The Hobbycraft SPAD and Camel are older than that

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Dekenba1

Probably not seen many built cos they are old kits circa 1958 in the case of the DR.1 and have been somewhat eclipsed by the WWW Roden and CSM kits of the last decade.

I have built 5 Revell Dr.1’s over the years.

Try and find one to have a look,- you might be surprised it really is not that big, esp as the full size aircraft was quite small.
You might even find your 1/24 spad is a bit smaller than a 1/32 DH-9 and even smaller than a1/72 Staaken /Felixstowe by a fair margin.

I remember Roden when they started up their 1/32 WWI range, about 15 years ago. People generally raved about it & more kits were demanded - I certainly have no memory of any criticism of the scale, or of being "shouted down"?

Same with WNW launching in 2010. They started with four kits, and even then there was incessant demand for whatever people wanted for their next 1/32 WNW kits. Same as today!

WNW sell - or sold - all their single seaters for less than $100, some substantially less. Even their two seaters started off well under $100.

Maybe the corollary in WWII modelling is useful. 1/24 has been around a while, but the number of kits on offer is absolutely tiny compared to 1/32, and build logs are not commonplace.

1/24 might work, but because 1/32 is already fairly large, widely available & with massive choice - including AM - at cheaper prices, I can see why people stick with 1/32, whether WWII or WWI.