12 (21.8%)
I dream of being a pilot
10 (18.2%)
I am always a passenger
20 (36.4%)
I hate flying
2 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Pilot or passenger  (Read 3225 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Re: Pilot or passenger
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2016, 02:00:57 PM »
Started learning to fly in the early 70s in NZ. Started with a DH82A Tiger Moth and got a few hours in on Cessnas and Cherokees. Later, as a defence reporter with the media, I got the chance to get flight time in the RNZAF's fleet with particular hands on experience of the CT4 Airtrainer and (my favourite) a C130 Hercules and many memorable hours flying with 3 Squadron's Iroquois helicopters. Happy memories!

Now I fly a (modelling) desk :)

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 07:51:41 PM »
I have always been a passenger.
But I was allowed to take my hands on the stick while flying through the mesas in Venezuelan Jungle and across the Angel Falls. It was so overwhelming, just great.
The other time I flew with a sailplane over the german alps and saw Schloss Neuschwanstein and some Carpricorns.

But I have to say I am always a bit concerned, when flying with a big plane. But I have to do that because my job makes it necessary
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 09:36:21 PM »
I began taking flying lessons with the Edmonton Flying Club in 1966 when I was still 17, and
because of a relocation, stopped it "temporarily" just after soloing.  The only model I flew was a
Fleet Canuck, a high-wing, fabric covered tail-dragger.  Lance might know what they looked like. :D
Anyway, the "break" in the instruction turned out sadly to be permanent, as life then heart
troubles got in the way.  Today I am still in love with flying as it is pretty hard not to be once
you get a taste of it, but unfortunately it is from the ground, looking up. :( :'( ;) ;D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 10:50:05 PM »
"Lance might know what they looked like."

My oh my, Ernie, you wouldn't believe the number of Guys I've known over the years who started their flying lives on those Fleets at the Edmonton Muni! Now it's a vacant field awaiting the Builders next move and like the Canucks will soon be only a memory; you must really look back with fondness on those days!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline scott362

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 01:20:37 AM »
Single Engine, land-sea, commercial, Instrument, flight instructor and A & P, flew the mission field in the Caribbean and south America did some work as a float plane pilot in the world of part 135 (on demand charter) but have not flown in years. Kids in college and an ex-wife had to have a steady paycheck.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2016, 02:09:30 AM »
Like Ian my earliest experiences were in the Air Training Corps, where my eyesight unfortunately prevented me winning a powered Flying Scholarship, although I was able to get my glider licence with them. My first solo was terrifying as I went up on a ground winch, reaching 1,000ft when the Slingsby Tandem started to vibrate like hell! In a cold sweat I tried to work out what was wrong - of course I had forgotten to release the tow and was being cranked down to earth like a kite! Once I pulled the toggle all was well but I really can't remember a thing about the rest of that first circuit!

Got lots of hands-on in DH Chipmunks, including a flight with one mad instructor who took us UNDER the Forth Rail Bridge from Edinburgh Turnhouse. Don't think he'd still be flying if he tried it these days!

One of the biggest disappointments of my life was at ATC annual camp at RAF Waddington, where we were told we would be taken up in a Lancaster in groups of six or so. I was in the third group and it landed after the second trip with oil pouring out of an engine, signalling end of flying for the foreseeable future. Wonder what the cost of a flight like that would be today?

More recently my younger son joined the Air Cadets and won a powered scholarship and now, post Uni, is currently going through RAF entry procedures, so if he ever gets to fly in the Battle of Britain unit I might dream of a flight in a Lancaster yet!!!
Sandy

Offline TomR1981

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2016, 05:39:30 AM »
Up until last year I worked in the oil industry, then after the oil price crashed I was made redundant, along with 20000 of my colleagues (just in one company). Bad times in the oilfield. As it turns out it was the best thing that ever happened to me, I'm now training full time for my ATPL. Flying was the only thing I even considered doing for a living after I was laid off. All this is mainly why I haven't posted on here for so long.

I'm over half way through ground school now and if everything goes well I'll be heading across the pond to Phoenix in October for the fun part, which even includes 3 hours in an Extra. Hopefully this time next year I'll be with an airline doing a type rating.

I did some flying when I was younger before University and work put a stop to it, and I never got my PPL. Most of my flying was in PA28s with a few flights in a TB9. I once got to fly a Yak 52 which was an incredible experience.
As a passenger I've been up in a Stearman and a Tiger Moth, to me that's proper flying although both of those were in hot countries. I don't think I'd go up in short sleeves in an open cockpit even in summer in the UK!

Tom

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2016, 10:12:06 AM »
I'm afraid for flying , just not a very comfortable experience on my last flight . Weird though , I love aircraft one of mans greatest invention  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2016, 06:02:55 PM »
Like Ian and Sandy I was in the ATC and went up in Chipmunks and gliders.
I never got a license which I regret now as it would have cost nothing back then. I remember when in RAF Hendon the pilots winging about a famous DJ and TV personality who lived neighbouring the airfield (I dare not mention the name for fear of a lawsuit but most Brits would know who I am talking about). He would fly his helicopter across the airspace above the airfield much to the anger of the RAF personnel. One particular pilot said he will ram the B&*$'&D if he ever does it while he is up. Low and behold he was up in the air with a cadet when the afore mentioned helicopter took a cut over the airfield. The pilot made a swooping dive for the helicopter and most probably scared the crap out of the well known personality flying the chopper much to the amusement of those on the ground. I will of course never know what reaction there was in the helicopter but I have never been able to see the guy in the same light since.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2016, 07:33:31 AM »
I started to learn to fly, but ran out of money before I got far.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2016, 09:12:04 AM »
" I'm now training full time for my ATPL. Flying was the only thing I even considered doing for a living after I was laid off."

Tom,
   Good on you, I admire your spirit and determination. Go at it with a vengeance, enjoy, and all the best in your quest!
Cheers,
Lance

WarrenD

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2016, 09:23:47 PM »
Sadly, I'll never have the money to do this. Through my ignorance in my youth (young, dumb, and full of  . . . .well you know, at least that's what we used to say at Infantry School at Benning) I never knew that my G.I. Bill would have paid for flying lessons, and for multiple ratings. I only thought it was for "college".

I envy all of you who are able to do this.

Warren

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2016, 01:09:38 AM »
Some truly inspirational stories - thanks guys!
Amazing!!!

von LighterThanAir

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Monty

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2016, 01:59:06 AM »
Wow, lovely to see all the varied types of flying here, and read about some great experiences! Also an ex-PPL checking in, I did go solo at 17 then had to stop due to studies. Then spent a lot of time as GIB with the Red Cross Air Ambulance, as I was in Trauma and Emergency, so then I did a lot of time as aeromedical crew, flying out of Cape Town to many small South African towns and Southern African counties. We started off with a Piper Chieftain, then graduated to two Cessna Citation II's, fitted out as well as Intensive Care with a large door for stretchers... Lots of fun flying into tiny towns with unpaved runways. Later Also PC 12's, really sturdy and surprisingly spacious... This was all volunteer work and unpaid.  Later on went to get a PPL and had lot of fun, but now family and work take up too much energy... Looking back in my log book lots of time on C150, and 152, Piper 140, 180, and one of my favourites, the 177 Cardinal, also Piper Arrow(PA-28R-200) with all the goodies, and even some time in a Citabria... Good times!
Regards,
Marc

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2016, 07:59:25 AM »
Thanks very much for the fantastic response to this poll, it is wonderful to read all the stories that have been posted, when it comes to flying what a variety of members we have here and all with their own story to tell, I hope more members join in.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com