12 (21.8%)
I dream of being a pilot
10 (18.2%)
I am always a passenger
20 (36.4%)
I hate flying
2 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Pilot or passenger  (Read 3226 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Pilot or passenger
« on: August 03, 2016, 03:01:42 PM »
Just for a bit of fun I have started this poll, seeing Bob taking his first flight sparked this idea, lets all get involved.

Des. (yes, I had my pilots licence)
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
Re: Pilot or passenger
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 03:38:02 PM »
Always dreamt of it, never had courage or financial security to give it a go.  My Flying is/was done on PC where crashing doesnt dent more than your pride.  ;D
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 03:57:21 PM »
I have my flying licence too and I fly jet liners, actually Airbus A330.
Giuseppe

Offline Edo

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 05:07:56 PM »
Yea I am in the same position of kornbeef!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 10:06:47 PM »
I just voted; the operative word of "am" (a qualified pilot) is obviously "was" in this case! Don't you just love aging?! ::)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 10:22:49 PM »
I just edited the poll Lance and added am/was a qualified pilot, this now fits my category as well, yes, getting old is a real bummer.

Des.

Offline sobrien

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 11:36:53 PM »
Dreamed of it, been up front and held the controls on a few single engine and one twin engine while in flight. Dad was a lifetime pilot and a career USN aviator. Grew up with his stories, books and magazines. However, I ill spent my youth, got married and had kids, and the dream took a back seat that now will always be just a dream. So I read, build models.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 11:39:11 PM »
I have always been a passenger and love flying. I did get to take the controls on a Cetabria while flying with a friend ONCE! Not sure I spelled the aircraft name right?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 12:38:47 AM »
Lance and Des,
How many different types of aircraft did you fly and can you name them..... please  :)

Cheers,
TopGun Von Yoke Yanker

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 01:50:33 AM »
Never had a formal lesson.  During my years as an A&P, I either couldn't afford it or couldn't obtain spousal approval.  I did, however, taxi everything from a J-3 Cub to a Ted Smith Aerostar out to the compass rose, took off in and flew, but didn't land, Cherokees, Cessna 150s and 172s, Aerostars, Mooneys and Bonanzas.  I took off, flew and landed the Cub (with a stick, not a yoke!) What a blast that was!  Now that I'm married to Carol, approval is no longer an issue, but she has been so kind and generous with me when it comes to my modeling, I'd hate to press the issue.  Besides, it's no longer a priority for me, although I still love to fly.  It does get in your blood.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline jknaus

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 02:12:34 AM »
I worked on them but have lots of air time. I did get some stick time on a 4 engine bird and was given control in a glider but have never gone for my license. Closest I come to flying now a days is test flying a flight simulator almost daily.
James

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 05:09:26 AM »
Errr, does leaving by the side door count  :-\

First experience was an 'acclimatisation' flight age 17 in a Handley Page Hastings - two weeks later it was the first aircraft I jumped out of  :)

Tug

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 06:13:22 AM »
Lance and Des,
How many different types of aircraft did you fly and can you name them..... please  :)

Cheers,
TopGun Von Yoke Yanker

von Birdman,
    I started my military career as a Navigator and later the fast version of same as an Weapons Systems Operator or Air Intercept Navigator as the RCAF called us. To enhance my chances of being selected for Pilot Training I took my initial Private Pilot Training at my own expense, and flew Cessna 150's, the Citabria, the Cherokee, Cessna 172's and the 180 briefly. After training on Beechcraft Musketeers, Tutors, and the T-33 I then flew the Voodoo, CF-5, T-33 and CF18 Hornet both operationally and as a Flight Instructor during my RCAF service. Total flight time just under 3,750 hours, mostly in Fighters and before that, 3993 hours as a Navigator
    I feel so very fortunate to have realised my childhood ambition to fly, and yes, I miss it at times. It doesn't help that my neighbour flies a Bearcat from his back field! Number 1 on my Bucket List is to get a trip in a rebuilt or replica "Stringbag" like the TVAL BE.2's for example, that would be a true thrill in my books. Oh yes, I also, like Tug, stepped over the side of a perfectly serviceable aircraft just for fun in my youth, logging over a dozen jumps as a sport jumper, still wonder what led me down that path!
    I had several "rides" in the Hornet as a Guest well after retirement as recently as 14 years back, and found that "it" all pretty well came back almost immediately. Being told that "we don't fly formation THIS close any more" while doing so made me feel very smug, the fellow who'd signed for the jet was probably just trying to make an old Fart feel like he was somebody!
   There's already been some good advice given here, von Buckle, but I'll add to it; as many have indicated, go for it as much as you can and if the money angle gets difficult, try the more affordable rewards of Gliding. As you get older the good health that allows you these choices will inevitably abandon you, just ask me!
   At the risk of becoming maudlin, I'll offer the great words of Ernest Hemingway, "You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman, and there isn't any horse, not any before, not any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane."
   As has already been said here, your "adventure" has kindled many great memories, thanks for that, and Manni, Borsos, Martin, Bertl, and all of my German friends here please forgive the inevitable mis-spelling and errors.........."Hals und bienbricht" von Buckle!! (I sure hope that's close enough to at least bring the correct version to mind!!)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 07:58:54 AM »
Bob,
I took my first flying lesson at age 16 (1966), didn't even have my car licence so dad had to drive me to the field, took first solo after 15 hours. Gained my private licence at age 17, I never flew professionally but only for pleasure. I was endorsed to fly Victa Airtourer, Cessna 150, Cessna 172, Cessna 180, Beechcraft Duchess (twin), Tiger Moth and various ultra light aircraft.  I was forced to hand my licence in after my heart attack in 1997 but flying is still, after my wife, my one true love.

Go for it Bob, your first solo will be an experience you will never forget, I still remember mine as if it happened yesterday.

Des.

I forgot to mention Bob that during my years of flying I clocked up close to 3,500 hours, because I loved flying so much I spent as much time as possible behind the stick or as much time as finances would allow, in the later years it became very expensive. I remember my very first flying lesson cost me $13 for a one hour lesson, solo flights cost me $9 an hour.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 10:16:50 AM by Des »

Offline IanB

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 08:33:28 AM »
I followed my childhood dream and don't regret it for one second. Glider licence through the Air Training Corps at 17, Private licence at 21 ( I had to sell both my motorbikes for that!) then when I reached 34 I sold my house and MGB, moved to the USA and did the rest of my training. I now have
nearly 9,000 hours and just got rated on my largest aircraft yet, the King Air 300. 2,600 hours as an instructor, 6 months bush flying in Guyana, 8 months flying in the Caribbean, and 5 years flying single pilot for a small airline on Cessna 402 and 208s. My most memorable flight, apart from the first, would either be 1/2 hour in a Stearman or my flight to Duxford with Brian Lecomber in his Extra!

Ian