Author Topic: What Is It About the D.VII That Makes It So Popular?  (Read 3289 times)

Offline FOKKERJ

Re: What Is It About the D.VII That Makes It So Popular?
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2014, 05:37:42 PM »

Then there was the large (can't recall the scale), patently simple, Aurora screw-together kit. I don't remember how much it cost at the MCRD San Diego exchange, but I still remember a trip there with my father- who insisted on getting both the Fokker D.VII and S.E.5 and I had a blast putting them together. If memory serves, I was 9 or 10 and they had funny rubber bits to attach the elevators. The 1/4 scale Aurora and KB WW1 series were my favorites when I was a kid and I could buy lots of them even with my humble lawn-mowing income.

I've always thought that the blunt nose and squared-off lines of the D.VII were very appealing, pure business. An aircraft designed to combine the best fighter power plants available with the optimum armament and still fly true for both expert and novice alike.  The design also appears to have made life a bit easier for the mechanics, given the way most of the systems requiring regular maintenance could be accessed by large panels all around rather than just small hatches though a plywood skin. Nothing against the wooden beauties built by Albatros, Roland, and others- I just always admired the "no frills, no fuss" design of the D.VII series.

Thanks Vickers, I was trying to remember what company made this Screw together Fok. D.VII.

My Dad bought one of these too! He and my Big Brother spray painted it and screwed it together all by themselves! :)

I was too busy painting and assembling my 1/72" WWI Aeroplanes. ;)

I would like to still have it though.

Cheers, Jay
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 09:21:09 PM by FOKKERJ »
Studies have shown that people who have more birthdays live longer. :)

Offline Snowy

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2014, 08:41:14 PM »
An interesting thread and some good points made. For me the D.VII seemed like a good one to cut my teeth on but I really like the look of the British pusher types. The DH2 and the FE2b are sitting there waiting for me to be confident enough to tackle them. I prefer the look of the Pfalz and Albatros over the D.VII but can understand the attraction of this famous aircraft. Then for me there are any of the aircraft flown by the Australian Flying Corps: the SE5a, the Camel, the RE8 etc. I missed out on buying a 32012 so hope for an updated offering some time

However, as I start to build the D.VII I am discovering just how well made the WNW kits are so may have many favourites before long.

Offline FOKKERJ

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2014, 09:25:27 PM »
I agree with Snowy and further, I think that they are all attractive. That explains why my stash isn't made up of only Fokker D.VII's.
Studies have shown that people who have more birthdays live longer. :)

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2014, 12:53:40 PM »
Snowy, don't shy away from the DH2 or FE... They are very buildable kits and although the rigging looks to be intimidating, it's not much different from "standard" WWI rigging, just more of it. I built the FE.2b for an IPMS USA review, spread over two articles. Take a look if you are interested. I used primarily EZ Line, which has it's advantages as well as drawbacks, for the rigging. The way Wingnuts Wings has engineered the kit, it goes together solidly and is a reasonable build.

There is a tip I learned about tensioning the tail boom rigging to get it all at the right, symmetrical tension that I discuss in the review. It involved hanging a small weight from the collected rigging at the end of the tail assemble before committing adhesive to the rigging. The guy I stole it from (sorry, I don't remember who) used his car keys as the weight. Not a big technical deal, but useful.

I'd say "go for it". The FE is a classic (as is the DH2) and looks great once it's on the shelf. Kinda big, but not too big.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline Snowy

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2014, 01:59:32 PM »
Thanks very much Eindecker. I shall seek out your articles, presumably via the IPMS USA website. They should be most helpful. I am planning to do my SE5a after the D.VII is completed. I have had that kit the longest and would like to do an AFC version. Then I should do the DH2 or FE.2b, subject to any future group builds.