Author Topic: Now Finished, My first WNW build: Sopwith Triplane  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Nigel Jackson

Re: Now Finished, My first WNW build: Sopwith Triplane
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 11:49:22 PM »
I suppose that on any construction the builder always  knows where any warts might be, but to someone like me this just seems a wonderful piece of work and I would add my congratulations, bud. Well done!

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 11:59:57 PM »

Excellent work Bud! Still can't get over how good those swirls look.

Mark

+1.  Beautiful Tripehound Bud! ;D 

Cheerrs & huzzas,

Bob

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 12:09:23 AM »
Outstanding in all regards Bud! Obviously moving into 1:32 had no effect on your skills, She's an absolute beauty. As for warts, they are apparently well hidden! ::)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 01:35:22 AM »
The finish on the engine cowl is superb. Well done!

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 02:31:19 AM »
Tripe-Tastic!
Well done, Bud  ;)

Looks like a winner to me  :)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 03:28:48 AM »
A few years back I used to attend that model show every year too. Nicely done triplane!
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 04:49:09 AM »
Bud,

Absolutely brilliant, mate!  Love the markings and the cowling looks especially realistic to my eyes.

Coming over to the 'dark side' in terms of scale?!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline petrov27

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 07:26:29 AM »
fantastic build there! As others have said the cowling in particular really knocks it outta the park!
-Patrick

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 01:26:00 AM »
She's a real beauty Bud, and I'm particularly drawn to your ever so subtle rib shading. I aspire to getting my shading ability to to your level someday but so far, it's an elusive goal.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 03:10:42 PM »
Thank you all so much for your kindness.  This was truly a joy to build.  Did I say I'm hooked?  I'll continue to build 1/48 scale.  There are some truly esoteric types that are not kitted in 1/32 scale.  But, that said, I am now a WNW devotee.  What marvelous kits they are, but then most of you already know that.
Very nice Bud. I like the aileron tilt, adds a great touch to the finished kit. Cowl is interesting too. How'd you get there?
Mike, I sprayed a base of gloss black, then made the dots with a fine silver Sharpie.  I then sprayed an over coat of Buffable Metalizer.  When fully dried, I buffed it until the dots came through.
A few years back I used to attend that model show every year too. Nicely done triplane!
You used to go to the Silver Wings Contest, Eindecker?  Did you live in Sacramento at one time?  How long ago was that?  We might know each other.
Lovely, Bud - the larger scale would look great photographed with your usual 1/48 to give perspective in a line up...
Where do you keep them all?

Best wishes, Richard
I'm still working on the Eduard Triplane, Richard, and will continue updating the build log, so you will be seeing the two of them together soon.
I've got three Ikea display cases nearly full.  I'll have to soon figure out some additional shelving.
She's a real beauty Bud, and I'm particularly drawn to your ever so subtle rib shading. I aspire to getting my shading ability to to your level someday but so far, it's an elusive goal.

Cheers,

Chris
Thanks, Chris, but you're already there.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline TomR1981

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2014, 08:29:23 PM »
She must be as good as she looks if she won the biplane class without being a biplane Bud. Seems to have taken a while but this one was definitely worth waiting for, that cowling looks great. Will be nice to see the smaller one too, I like your dual build idea and I'm looking forward to more.

Tom

Offline gruson

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2014, 10:10:10 PM »
Hello,

Congratulations on a superb build, I love your engine cowls !
Regards
Je suis Charlie

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2014, 12:11:35 AM »
Bravo, Bud!! I know you love 1/48 but, oh my, what you can do in this scale!!

Cheers (big ones) from NYC,
Michael

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2014, 03:27:33 AM »
She must be as good as she looks if she won the biplane class without being a biplane Bud. Seems to have taken a while but this one was definitely worth waiting for, that cowling looks great. Will be nice to see the smaller one too, I like your dual build idea and I'm looking forward to more.

Tom
Thanks, Tom!  The wee little one should be done soon.  I highly recommend doing a dual build from time to time.  Loads of fun and if you are doing different scales or even same scale, but different kits, it's hard to get bored. 
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2014, 03:32:00 AM »
Hello,

Congratulations on a superb build, I love your engine cowls !
Regards
Merci, Michel!   C'est vraiment gentil de ta part.
Cheers,
Bud