Author Topic: 1:32 Roden SSW D.III  (Read 567 times)

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
1:32 Roden SSW D.III
« on: May 07, 2024, 05:08:57 AM »
Just woke up to the need to declare myself for this!  :D
Very much wanted to participate, like so many I have reason to appreciate Dave's masterful and sensitive stewardship of this great forum.
And this is an excellent opportunity to get back into the world of multiple wings and rigging, too neglected of late.
I do have unbuilt SE's and Pfalzes in the stash, but this kit of the SSW D.III has been shining at me, so here I go.
I have only just started to cut plastic - first job, cutting out the louvres under the engine - and haven't glued anything yet.
I will be building this famous red machine, popular subject I know, but I find Udet a fascinating as well as a tragic figure, so I absolutely wanted an example of this attractive plane for myself.
All the best to everyone joining in this build!
Mark

Online RAGIII

Re: 1:32 Roden SSW D.III
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 05:41:04 AM »
Another excellent choice for the GB. Having built this one I would only say watch the fit of the cabanes as they tend to make the Interplanes lift or the center section of the upper wing bow if left unchanged.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 08:11:46 AM »
Many thanks for that advice Rick
I can also see the fit of the bottom wing will take some care
I love Roden kits!
Mark

Offline NigelR

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 06:07:19 PM »
An oldie but a goodie (with a bit of work). Looking forward to this one.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2024, 10:30:05 PM »
Going to have to follow this one! I love these aeroplanes, and anything Udet-related always grabs my interest.

Dutch

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2024, 01:50:56 PM »
There's a D.III replica at the museum near me and it is such a neat-looking machine. I didn't realise Roden did a kit so I'm very excited to see this build!
Zac in NZ

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2024, 09:20:01 PM »
Thanks for the comments  :) Yes Nigel, "with a bit of work", you're not kidding!
Here's the state of play with the cockpit assembly. Some non-ideal aspects, but overall I want to move forward now and seal it up.
The seat belts and instrument dials are from old Eduard sets.
Main novelty for me was fitting control lines, I think the first time I've tried to render them. I didn't appreciate that the geometry of the control column pieces in this kit would make this a little tricky.
The plastic blob at the back is just stuck there to act as an anchor for the control lines.

Btw KiwiZac, I don't know what this says about me but regarding my imaginary list of reasons to ever visit New Zealand - fjords, mountains, amazing bird life, Lord of the Rings stuff, etc etc; floating near the top has always been that SSW replica  ;D. Love the D.III and D.IV, I'm sure we'd have heard a lot more of them in 1918 but for the issue with the engine oil. And who knows what how good the D.VI monoplane might have turned out to be?
Cheers
Mark

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2024, 11:34:31 PM »
    Great choice Mark and you've got a really good start. This Kit is still my favorite of my collection but as others here have noted can be a lot of work depending on how far you wish to take it.Rag III's comments concerning the upper wing "bow are right on the mark and attention to the length of the cabanes is the cure, I didn't get it quite right on mine either. As a thought Bull Dog makes a very nice PE Set for this Model and Hannants had it in stock a year ago when I decided to build another of these, worth looking into. Here's a link to my old Build Log and Mike Norris has one on the Forum as well, I'll be following your Build with great interest.

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=6383.0

Cheers and have fun with this one!
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: Today at 12:57:01 AM »
The Pit is really looking great Mark!  I seem to recall deciding to leave a couple of those wires that were under the floor off of My build  :-X
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler