Author Topic: wnw Felixstowe  (Read 28194 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: wnw Felixstowe
« Reply #345 on: January 16, 2015, 06:52:29 AM »
Bud - the box dimensions are 520mm long x 360mm wide x 150mm deep, quite a big box and quite heavy as well.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #346 on: January 16, 2015, 12:42:51 PM »
Thanks, Eric and Des!  Not as bad as Bo led me to believe with his post of the box sticking out of the boot of a Fiat.

Glad to see that yours blew by customs, Mikael.  Best keep quiet about that.  Wouldn't want them to come knocking at your door in the middle of the night, would we?
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #347 on: January 16, 2015, 01:13:05 PM »
All this customs, VAT, etc. is confusing to this poor American. I do have a question. If I, for example, were to decide to send a kit as a gift to someone i know in the EU, would it be subject to the same duties and VAT as one bought directly from Wingnut Wings?
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #348 on: January 16, 2015, 04:24:43 PM »
All this customs, VAT, etc. is confusing to this poor American. I do have a question. If I, for example, were to decide to send a kit as a gift to someone i know in the EU, would it be subject to the same duties and VAT as one bought directly from Wingnut Wings?

For my country (Bulgaria, part of EU) as long as I prove in some way that this is a gift and not a purchase, there is no VAT as I didn't paid anything for it.
Think globally, act locally!

Kai

« Reply #349 on: January 16, 2015, 05:03:54 PM »

If it cost more than £40, yes. You have to fill in a form when you post it saying what the value is. Customs check some on a random basis.

Otherwise it would be a massive loophole. Which, I believe, is being widely used by some retailers. Certain EBay sellers in China will send kits marked at very small values and as gifts, which somehow get to the UK via Germany, absolutely free of customs charges.

interestingly, the WNW website has a tick-box option for "gift", when ordering anything........

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #350 on: January 18, 2015, 07:31:14 PM »
 Sorry to jump in late on this discussion -

At my local model club yesterday, I had quite a few members come up to me about this kit (they know I'm into WW1 model aircraft) asking when I'm going to get hold of this kit.

My answer was that I althought the kit is very different, the cost and shear size to adequately display makes this one (unfortunately) a no go kit for me!

The thing of interest here is that other model makers not into WW1 kits are very aware of this latest release and seems to have generated quite a bit of interest and discussion among them.   Perhaps this is a good thing as WNW may have caught their imagination which may mean other modellers become interested in having a go at WW1 aviation kits?

Just a thought

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #351 on: January 19, 2015, 12:34:13 AM »
     I believe you have a valid point Dave.  It would appear that size does matter when it comes to a Kit generating interest from outside the normal fan base; I noticed a lot of interest in and comments on the Airfix 1:24 Scale Typhoon here for example.
Cheers,
Lance

mike in calif

« Reply #352 on: January 19, 2015, 01:43:34 AM »
Both valid points. I think some of the buzz, especially in 1/32 is the range of subjects being released, as well as the accuracy, and detail of many of the new kits.

Kai

« Reply #353 on: January 19, 2015, 04:57:37 AM »
I think Mike is right - the sheer range of new subjects in 1/32 is absolutely unheralded. HK with their multi-engined WWII bombers have created a whole new market. Silver Wings range of superb resin multi-media interwar subjects in 1/32 is absolutely fantastic, if a little pricey, whilst HPH do some equally lovely kits - their Walrus is my favourite kit, whilst their Catalina is mind-blowingly brilliant. WNW in particular have released models of aeroplanes most people outside of WWI fanatics had never heard of. It's an enormous difference to, say, another 109G6 kit being launched when there are so many in peoples stash already.

The secrecy WNW maintain until the box appears on their website is also unique. It's deeply impressive that no staff or suppliers (mould makers, decal printers, PE manufacturer, boxing suppliers) let even a hint leak out. This creates a level of attention and anticipation - I know I check the WNW website regularly for the latest release.

The tin hat on the whole thing is the "Sold Out" signs that pop up next to kits. Any normal, profit driven company would either get enough kits made to meet demand, or make a further batch as and when required.  WNW seems more interested in moving onto the next subject they fancy doing - which is cool - but it certainly drives purchases & hence interest. Hasegawa tend to do the opposite and release so many re-boxes of the same subject that it's hard to keep track!

Before WNW, I'm not sure a single 2 seater kit had ever been released in plastic?

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #354 on: January 20, 2015, 04:54:28 AM »
"Single two seater kit in plastic"? Eduard's F2.b and Walfish come to mind. I'm sure there are more.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Kai

« Reply #355 on: January 20, 2015, 06:52:29 AM »
"Single two seater kit in plastic"? Eduard's F2.b and Walfish come to mind. I'm sure there are more.

Sorry, I meant to add in 1/32!

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #356 on: January 20, 2015, 09:44:11 PM »
interestingly, the WNW website has a tick-box option for "gift", when ordering anything........

This made no difference for the last three of my orders - customs always charged, depite the parcels being declared as gift or not. You should NOT rely on them accepting the "it's a gift, not a purchase"-speech.

Stefan

Offline Dol

« Reply #357 on: January 21, 2015, 12:25:24 AM »

This made no difference for the last three of my orders - customs always charged, depite the parcels being declared as gift or not. You should NOT rely on them accepting the "it's a gift, not a purchase"-speech.

Stefan

It hasn't made any difference for me neither.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 12:32:26 AM by Dol »

Kai

« Reply #358 on: January 23, 2015, 09:49:15 AM »

Stefan

It used to make a difference, back when the kits were first sold at $59 for the single seaters - that used to sneak in under the gift allowance, depending upon how strong Sterling was when Parcelforce applied the calculations.

I've also seen Parcelforce use NZ$ as the purchase price, rather than US$'s, and convert to Sterling accordingly. That helps!

The prices are too high for the gift option in the UK now, but if Sterling climbs a lot it may come back into play, and it may benefit other people in other countries who may have different rules to the UK.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #359 on: January 24, 2015, 03:48:26 AM »
Just pulled the trigger on this one, guys.  Late last night, with will power at it's lowest.  So although I think I've come up with a plan for displaying the completed model, I failed to account for storage of the kit in the stash.  Can anyone tell me the box dimensions? 

Cheers,
Bud
Where are you going to put this Bud?  :o
Mark

We few, we happy few.....