Author Topic: 64 Years Ago Today...  (Read 1096 times)

Offline James

64 Years Ago Today...
« on: June 26, 2014, 02:50:46 AM »
The Korean War began when Communist North Korean Forces swarmed across the border. Let's remember the veterans of this Forgotten War.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline mgunns

Re: 64 Years Ago Today...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 03:57:00 AM »
Hello James:  That's a shocker!   But you are correct.  My father in law is a Korean war vet and I had a second cousin who was a Korean war vet.   
Semper Fi

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline James

64 Years Ago Today...
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 04:00:24 AM »
Hello James:  That's a shocker!   But you are correct.  My father in law is a Korean war vet and I had a second cousin who was a Korean war vet.   
Semper Fi

Mark

My sincere and heartfelt thanks to your father-in-law and second cousin. They should never be forgotten.

Offline timpivonka

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 04:46:12 AM »
Talked to a Korean was Vet yesterday in the grocery.  He is amazed at what they have been able to accomplish since the war.  Shows what a good Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) can do for a country.  I served in Korea in three different decades (87-88), (96-97) and (03-04).  Really amazing to see the changes over that period.  There are constant reminders that war is never very far away.  Civil defense exercises, shots exchanged over the DMZ, infiltration attempts, etc.  Most of them never make the news here.While at Camp Page in 87, I started to walk  from my barracks to the gym and the street was blocked off.  The construction team was digging to put in an asphalt road and uncovered an ammunition cache that had been buried during the war.  EOD was called to remove it safely.  I had walked over that area almost every day, and we had driven our vehicles and generator trailer over it many times.  Thank god it was stable and didn't blow us up!
Dr. Tim Pivonka, COL (Ret.)

Offline James

64 Years Ago Today...
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 04:50:59 AM »
Thank you for your service, Tim.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 05:31:08 AM »
Korea is often called the "Forgotten war".  I think the forgotten war is the great war.  Korea was the first post nuclear/post United Nations war that the U.S. was involved in.  Sadly, it was a harbinger of things to come as PC slowly made its way into the ranks of the leadership and we began to settle for withdrawals, truces, and renaming instead of victory.  Don't mean to politicize.  I served with Marines that were WWII and Korean war vets and was glad to have served with them and that they were willing to share their experiences with us who were at the time young enlistees getting ready to serve in Harm's Way in Vietnam.  I know that their experiences, when put to use and practice, saved many lives.
Semper Fi

Mark Krumrey
Master Gunnery Sergeant
USMC Ret.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 06:06:33 AM »
   Seems incredible that it's been 64 years! My Father served in the Korean War in addition to his full wartime service in WWII. He talked often of the latter conflict, and was proud to have been part of it all. I sometimes wonder about that generation of "Real" men, and women, and marvel at their many sacrifices given without a second thought..................
Cheers,
Lance