Author Topic: 1:32 Fokker Spinne (Spider)  (Read 25472 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: 1:32 Fokker Spinne (Spider)
« Reply #135 on: October 16, 2013, 06:15:58 AM »
Ivo, the tail is made up of steel tubes and bamboo rods then covered with linen, the edges appear to be thick because there is frame right along the edge so the fabric can be wrapped around it.

Bob, the wings are made from two layers of 0.25mm styrene sheet cut to shape and glued together, the leading edge curve is done by wrapping it around a length of brass rod, once the glue is dry the wing retains its shape. The ribs on top of the wing are done with 1.0mm half round styrene strips while the bottom ribs are 1.0mm rond styrene strips. The simulated leather reinforcing patches are painted on using Humbrol No.62 Leather.

Des.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 06:45:42 AM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #136 on: October 16, 2013, 06:33:31 PM »
If I can add my six-penniworth.....well...... Amazing and wonderful are not adequate.

Very many congratulations on your sheer ingenuity at solving the many problems that you have had to deal with. Makes having a wing and booms drop off seem like a walk in the park.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2013, 07:10:55 PM »
An image of this magnificent Fokker Spinne would make a great logo for the website/forum Des (a bit like the penny farthing bike for the iconic  television series, The Prisoner) . Presumably some of the 25 Spinnes built were in service at the start of the war?

Best wishes and in awe.

Nigel

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2013, 09:40:05 PM »
  Des,
Like Nigel I'm in absolute awe my old friend. Surely makes me think about trashing my progress to date on my Voisin. Building the fuselage framing from brass would surely be better than my efforts in plastic. Before I forget again,excellent process of the wing construction you've used too. Looking forward to the next oustanding update.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2013, 10:38:40 PM »
Every single update in this marvelous thread makes my jaw drop deeper and deeper. It is one of the best WW1 builds I have ever seen. Breathtaking, Des!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Zabu

« Reply #140 on: October 17, 2013, 05:14:18 AM »
It's hard to find words that make any justice your model.

This is the very top of modeling made by one of the skilled modelers that i know. The quality of the build and the beauty in those pics are breath taking (at least for me).

A real pleasure to see this build taking shape. I can't get tired of looking those pics. Fantastic Des.

Cheers.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #141 on: October 17, 2013, 06:08:29 AM »
Gaze at those photos a bit.  It really does look like the real thing, doesn't it?

Cheers,

Bob

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #142 on: October 17, 2013, 06:10:51 AM »
Great progress Des. She looks fragile but your construction looks very sound and will keep her nice and straight. Drag a guitar pick across her and see if you get a tune!!

Steve

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #143 on: October 17, 2013, 06:17:43 AM »

Just stunning Des..

You really ought to enter this in a major competition.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #144 on: October 17, 2013, 08:27:40 PM »
Thank you for all the very kind comments, I really appreciate them.

The wings are now fitted, fitment was extremely easy and the wing assembly is quite strong. As you can see, the wings are just a big flat slab with a curve at the leading edge, no ailerons or wing warping but plenty of dihedral, wing sweep and lots of rigging to come.

Des.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #145 on: October 17, 2013, 10:27:58 PM »
The Spinne looks amazing with the wings attached, Des!  Wonderful work and
excellent progress on a lovely little aeroplane.  I didn't realise that she had such
a pronounced dihedral.  Do you think that for an inherent stability or easier maneuverability?

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #146 on: October 18, 2013, 02:43:12 AM »
Truly remarkable, Des!  Just when I think it impossible to top your last project, you prove me wrong!  This belongs in one of the Great technology museums of the world.  Here, it would be the Smithsonian.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #147 on: October 18, 2013, 07:09:57 AM »
Thanks Ernie and Bud for your very kind words.

Ernie, Anthony Fokker was very much ahead in time with his thinking of flight characteristics with his early aircraft designs. This particular Spinne had a very pronounced dihedral and wing sweep both factors which improve aircraft stability in flight, he must have experimented quite a lot with these early Spinne models as each one was slightly different to the next. He had a brilliant mind in the very early days of manned flight learning from practical experiences.

Des.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #148 on: October 18, 2013, 09:30:24 PM »
I agree with coyotemagic - this really does stand with the finest of scale models.

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #149 on: October 19, 2013, 07:24:43 PM »
Hello Des,

This is modelling which only the very best can produce. It is awesome in detail and finishing. In one word : amazingly beautifull!

Kind regards

Patrick