Author Topic: Clay-More  (Read 6779 times)

Offline ClayMoreGuy

Re: Clay-More
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2022, 02:20:38 AM »
I am having issues in getting booms strong enough. I f i respect the scale they become too delicate, need to find a compromise. My dream would be to have it done in brass by CNC machine... But it would be bloody expensive to get them done by third parties.
Would it be a option to get the kit without booms and struts?
I think I will do them anyway myself form wood and metal, as I have it done on my D.H.2 Stripdown here (if you scroll down a bit you will see how I made the booms):
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8552

I replace the struts on nearly all of my models by the original material: wood (as on the D.H.2),

squeezed brass tube,

or tube with wood (as on Fokker D.V).

Cheers,
Frank

That's fantastic! Yes, of course you may get them without those parts, at a slightly discounted price, certainly.

Offline ClayMoreGuy

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2022, 02:23:54 AM »
A solution for the tail heavy aircraft such as the Voisin would be to first 3D print the forward section of the fuselage and possibly the tires. Use these masters to create silicone rubber molds for resin castings using urethane resin mixed with fine lead granules or lead powder. The finished castings would be safe to handle as the lead would be fully encapsulated in the resin. As an alternative, maybe it is possible to 3D print with a resin/powdered lead mixture.
  You could also include weighted aviators if necessary.

This is interesting indeed, but I think that in case of the Voisin III, which is so unbalanced towards the rear, the wheel and fuselage should be made of all lead to counterweight the tail. That leverage is far too big in my opinion.

I can tell you guys that have realized how the Voisin is the most wished of the upcoming kits....

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2022, 02:43:49 AM »
The flashback kit has a full bulkhead behind the gunner.  There is a large empty space between this bulkhead and the engine mounting plate that is completely sealed.  I filled that area with steel balls as all of it sits forward of the rear wheels.  If this is not a solution in 1/48th, white metal front wheels might help unless you want to do leave the wheel covers off.  White metal figures definitely would help but obstruct viewing of the cockpit details.  There's always gluing all four wheels onto a base as a last resort.

Stuart

Offline ClayMoreGuy

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2022, 02:44:46 AM »
FBA first prints. Fuselage and lower wings

Offline jamieg

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2022, 06:09:20 AM »
Just wow! Now you've got me thinking about going back to 1/48....

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2022, 06:41:38 AM »
Oooooooooo

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2022, 07:28:12 AM »
Wow, CMG, you certainly have my attention with that!
Zac in NZ

Offline miecio52

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2022, 07:07:39 PM »
I wonder if the wings and struts are reinforced with wire, as the LukGraph company does in its models.
Regards
 Mietek
 IPMS Poland / Silesia

Offline Berman

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2022, 03:01:41 AM »
 Is it possible to print the upper deck of the FBA seaplane as a separate part? Much easier to fill a seam than to detail and paint the cockpit through the small cockpit opening.

Offline huberlu

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2022, 03:32:55 AM »
I want a FBA !!! :)

It is true that with the separate  deck it would be easier.

Offline Beto

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2022, 04:17:45 AM »
Hello ClayMoreGuy! I just wanted to share a tip about 3D printing I have developed over the years... instead of letting Chitubox (or any other program you use) do his thing about the printing supports (usually a massive labyrinth of thin cylinders) that produce a lot of pin-point defects hard to fill and sand, it's better to include in the 3D model all the supports the machine may need. In particular, it's much easier to add a thin "blade" to the leading edge of the wing(s) and connect it to a much sturdier support. Please check the renders of my 1/144 Rumpler C.I to see what I mean. I also added a thin continuous support under the fuselage, much easier to erase than multiple small defects. Hope it helps and my best wishes about your business! - If I can help about anything related just let me know.

Offline Paulvanacker

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2022, 06:14:13 AM »
I have the Caproni coming. Bought it 2 days ago and it'll be started as soon as it arrives here in Australia.
   Will post pics.
I'm not worried at all about some of the parts molded together, I'll work it out. Just grateful to have this in 1/48. Claudio has done a great job.
Paul.

Offline xan

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2022, 09:07:41 PM »
Cleopatra surly felt the same pleasure taking her donkey milk bath than I have reading this post.. It is heaven!
FBA what a dream. You told me you did the italian version an diferences are quite sensible.
Never mind! trasform the kit to a french type is a very exiting challenge

"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline ClayMoreGuy

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2022, 04:56:45 AM »
I wonder if the wings and struts are reinforced with wire, as the LukGraph company does in its models.

They are not

Offline ClayMoreGuy

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2022, 05:04:28 AM »
Hello ClayMoreGuy! I just wanted to share a tip about 3D printing I have developed over the years... instead of letting Chitubox (or any other program you use) do his thing about the printing supports (usually a massive labyrinth of thin cylinders) that produce a lot of pin-point defects hard to fill and sand, it's better to include in the 3D model all the supports the machine may need. In particular, it's much easier to add a thin "blade" to the leading edge of the wing(s) and connect it to a much sturdier support. Please check the renders of my 1/144 Rumpler C.I to see what I mean. I also added a thin continuous support under the fuselage, much easier to erase than multiple small defects. Hope it helps and my best wishes about your business! - If I can help about anything related just let me know.

Thanks so much for this interesting post. I had a deep look at the way you placed your work on supports. Anyway I think that this is nice way to print small scale. With bigger things, 1/48 and so on I think it would be unpracticable. Not to mention the fact that the printer's working space is quite limited. I would have loved to print the Ca.3 wings in a big, long single piece. But it was simply impossible. We are studying how to make big parts too, because or dream is to be able to release in the future large things sch as the Ilya Muromets etc.

I am taking in due consideration all of your thoughts and wishes. Regarding the cockpit accessbility etc. Anyway to me It does not look so hard to paint the interiors.