Author Topic: Guy Black's DH-9  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
Guy Black's DH-9
« on: September 06, 2013, 05:16:30 PM »
http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/update/2013-09-02/first-world-war-aircraft-found-in-elephant-shed/

Saw this on the UK national network.

His first DH-9 restoration is at the IWM Duxford.

I believe a book on the recoveries and restoration are being produced too.

Offline Nigel Jackson

Re: Guy Black's DH-9
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 07:09:57 PM »
Thanks for posting this Dave. It shows some very interesting and informative views. Time for us all to clear out the elephant sheds then?

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 07:39:23 PM »
I remember this when it hit the headlines, but it is great seeing this video and picking up some wonderful details, thanks Dave for posting.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Dave in Dubai

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 08:03:57 PM »
Guy is a thoroughly nice chap and has done a magnificent job on the recovery and restoration of these two aircraft.

It mentions at the end of the piece that it will be up for sale after it flies at the end of the year, let's hope that it is acquired by a party which will endeavour to keep it flying and to display it to the public.

I certainly hope it doesn't end up in another elephant shed to be hidden away for another 90 years!

Best wishes,

Dave

Offline David

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 04:31:31 AM »
Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for posting the link to the clip!  I really like the DH9.  I helped the AWM to restore theirs, and I absolutely loved working on it!  It was what inspired me to want to build full sized replica aeroplanes!

Do you have contact details for Guy?  It sounds as though you have been in touch with him.

Regards,

David.

Offline Dave in Dubai

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 04:36:53 PM »
No I don't, I think you may be able to find him through google?

I met him very briefly at the roll out of the IWM DH-9 some years ago.

Nice sunny day with quite a few WW1 aircraft enthusiasts present.

Glad you liked the film clip, there were some good shots of the cockpit there.

Offline David

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 07:19:48 PM »
Thanks very much for letting me know Dave.  I will try Google, and it sounds as though the IWM would probably also know how to contact him.  I have plenty of photos of the DH9's cockpit if anyone needs any photos, particularly of the pilot's cockpit, since most of the observers' cockpit instruments were missing if I recall correctly.  I am sure that it had instruments fitted originally, since I remember a lot of empty holes where they had been.  I am not sure if the instruments were fitted as a post war modification to this particular DH9 or if they were standard, but I suspect that they were fitted to all DH9's as standard fittings.  I will keep looking, particularly if anyone is interested.

Regards,

David.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 05:03:18 AM »
This restoration was mentioned on the Key Publishing Forum (FlyPast and Aeroplane Monthly magazines) a month or so ago, apparently it is VERY close to completion. As soon as I see anything there I'll bring it over.
Zac in NZ