Author Topic: Snapped axle off undercarriage wing.  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Ron@redondo

Snapped axle off undercarriage wing.
« on: March 27, 2015, 12:23:52 PM »
HELP! After almost completing the build of my WNW Albatros DVa, I snapped the axle off one side of the undercarriage wing, trying to slip one undercarriage vee strut onto axle. It is now lost somewhere in the great unknown. In a panic I superglued a small nail to the wing after triming to about the right length. Nail head dia. about same thickness of undercarriage wing at point of axle.
Afraid new axle will not hold up once weight is put on it. Was thinking about drilling small hole into side of undercarriage wing and using another small dia. nail, or something similar.
An axle an axle my kingdom for an axle.
Anyone have some other ideas. I would hate to junk the kit this far along (about six months) and sooo much work, and I certainly would hate to raid another kit.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Snapped axle off undercarriage wing.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 01:28:04 PM »
I would chop whatever is left of the axle off cleanly at the edge of the winglet, then carefully drill a suitably sized hole 5-6mm back into it such that you can glue a longer piece of rod in securely.

Exactly.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 02:54:24 PM »
I would chop whatever is left of the axle off cleanly at the edge of the winglet, then carefully drill a suitably sized hole 5-6mm back into it such that you can glue a longer piece of rod in securely.

Exactly.
Yep.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 04:02:24 PM »
Ouch!

Yes butt jointing won't hold I fear. As an alternative to what Justin suggests you could drill a smaller dia hole and put a pin in, drill a similar size hole in the new axle part (plastic rod or scrap) and superglue them together with the pin inside for strength. I only suggest this as the dia of the axle and width of the axle wing is quite close if you make any error.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 04:33:54 PM »
i normally do that anyway prefering steel rod.i have had way too many wheels snap off in 1/48

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 07:38:27 PM »
I think that the advice that has already been given here is rock solid, Ron. I've used the technique both to repair damage and to reinforce a weak joint. In the case of the former it was to pin together a 1/48 Spitfire undercarriage leg broken when a domestic cat pounced on a finished model. As for the latter, I've occasionally used it to ensure a strong strut to wing/fuselage connection.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 07:46:38 PM »
I agree with all the above.  It is often a good idea to reinforce joints that have to be small due to scale limitations. The method works for wing root/fuselage strengthening, snapped axles/rods, control surface/wing attachments etc.  As long as you are careful with the drilling the repair may be almost un-noticeable.

You probably have already considered this, but use the unbroken opposite end of the axle as a guide for how to re-build the broken end.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 08:39:55 PM »
The process of drilling and inserting a pin has worked well
for me many times.  Should be no problem for you, Ron.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Ron@redondo

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 12:57:15 AM »
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I will try drilling.

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 02:38:25 AM »
If all else fails, you can do a fine diorama of a Albatros after a bad landing. There is plenty of photographic evidence to go by and t would be something different.

Good luck with it either way.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Offline Ron@redondo

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 09:29:04 AM »
Michael, your right a diorama could be a saving grace if all else fails.

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 02:08:11 AM »
Same thing happened to me on my Rumpler.

Keith's suggestion is the best and is the route I took.

It is a good idea to drill the axels on every build, with say a 0.6 mm drill, and then superglue a piece of 0.5mm wire into the hole- it doesn't really need to be any longer than 10 mm.

Hope you manage to fix it ok?

Offline Ron@redondo

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 11:36:42 AM »
Thanks Dave. I am waiting for some micro drill bits that I had to order.