Author Topic: Encore/Roden SE5a McCudden 56 sq.. Phoenix thrice Risen  (Read 29871 times)

Bughunter

Re: Encore/Roden SE5a McCudden 56 sq.. Phoenix thrice Risen
« Reply #270 on: April 12, 2022, 07:25:49 PM »
Mike, I think it looks so bright due to reflection, as the rudder is deflected towards the camera. On the first picture the red is much darker on the lower end.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #271 on: April 12, 2022, 07:39:52 PM »
Hi Frank,
Yes a good point.
I didn't see that in the first shot,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #272 on: April 12, 2022, 11:22:58 PM »
Coming along nicely! Very lovely rib effects.
Andreas

Thanks Andreas!
RAGIII

Hi Rich,
Interesting second photograph.
Rather than daylight washing out the rudder serial number, I wonder if the rudder was over painted in white, as it seems on the wheel covers?.
Normally the rudder red and blue stripes would show as being very dark, almost black in colour, which wouldn't be affected by daylight or the film used.

Mike

One thing I didn't mention is the Radiator shutters. Painted white or a Very light reflective Metal? They look white to Me.
RAGIII

Mike, I think it looks so bright due to reflection, as the rudder is deflected towards the camera. On the first picture the red is much darker on the lower end.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Frank

I agree Frank!
RAGIII

"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online RAGIII

« Reply #273 on: April 13, 2022, 09:53:18 AM »
As My photography is Not Good enough to catch the variations in the paint you all will have to trust Me  8) I used oils to put some variation in the basic PC10 finish. It is visible to My eyes but not as much in the photos. I also made an attempt to cut My own mask for the W on the underside. I sprayed the W blue and it was HORRIBLE!!! So I stripped it off and repainted the left wing underside. I will need to get in touch with someone who is better at making masks before I attempt to paint the W again. One positive is that I can pretty much add it anytime. I also added a bit of muck from the wheels to the lower wing underside.
RAGIII

« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 11:27:10 AM by RAGIII »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #274 on: April 16, 2022, 09:01:20 PM »
Looking good Rick , slowly getting there . Like the weathering on the under wing surface  8)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online RAGIII

« Reply #275 on: April 18, 2022, 05:10:33 AM »
Looking good Rick , slowly getting there . Like the weathering on the under wing surface  8)

Alexis

Thanks Alexis. Both have had a satin finish applied but nothing worth posting yet. I am in the process of Mounting the upper wing on McCuddens Bird....or so I hope  ::)
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #276 on: April 20, 2022, 08:39:24 AM »
My apologies for not answering the recent post Rick - life has been greatly disorganised in the past few weeks and I have lost track of many things including this build....!

I do like the paintwork on this one and the very effective dirt on the undersides. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you that t

his one will not be dropped/knocked off the table/pushed off the table by the cat/any other reason for irreparable damage - delete as appropriate.

Stephen.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #277 on: April 20, 2022, 03:12:44 PM »
My apologies for not answering the recent post Rick - life has been greatly disorganised in the past few weeks and I have lost track of many things including this build....!

I do like the paintwork on this one and the very effective dirt on the undersides. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you that t

his one will not be dropped/knocked off the table/pushed off the table by the cat/any other reason for irreparable damage - delete as appropriate.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen! As for My usual mishaps I must say at least One of the two looks to be on the way to success! I spent a Lot of Time playing with the jig and which struts were to be mounted first. In the end I found mounting  the interplanes then connecting the cabanes worked best. ( at least for Me). I have been successful in doing the process on the Viper powered SE. As for the Pheonix Thrice risen we shall see. ( Lost a couple of struts that I will do a search for tomorrow!  I also should note that these photos show a very Green look vs the Brownish look in prior photos. The actual color is somewhere in between  8)

RAGIII

PS: Lots of touch up needed!

PPS: I wasn't real happy with the other photos so took a few more: Note that a couple of the cabane struts are looking nasty. They kept slipping out of place and at some point I used a bit too much Tamiya Extra thin and finger pressure resulting in stripped paint.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 09:34:48 AM by RAGIII »

Offline DaveB

« Reply #278 on: April 21, 2022, 10:45:52 PM »
Ah lovely, Rick -

Really pleased to see this one is really coming together now

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #279 on: April 22, 2022, 02:29:11 AM »
Ah lovely, Rick -

Really pleased to see this one is really coming together now

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave. This one is progressing although I probably shouldn't get cocky about finishing it until it is in the case  ::) The McCudden bird does seem to be cursed. I still haven't found the two cabane struts I dropped!
RAGIII

Online RAGIII

« Reply #280 on: May 17, 2022, 08:47:45 AM »
The G-M bird is finished....more or less:

RAGIII

More photos in the Completed Models Section:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=13090.0
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 01:51:20 AM by RAGIII »

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #281 on: May 17, 2022, 09:13:16 AM »
Put a fork in it!   ;D  Not literally.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #282 on: May 19, 2022, 06:36:38 AM »
What a beauty! Bravo!
Zac in NZ

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #283 on: May 19, 2022, 06:37:00 AM »
Absolutely brilliant Rick. At last you have got one to the finish line. Let us hope you can now get it to the cabinet intact!

Stephen.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #284 on: May 20, 2022, 10:44:00 PM »
Put a fork in it!   ;D  Not literally.

What a beauty! Bravo!

Absolutely brilliant Rick. At last you have got one to the finish line. Let us hope you can now get it to the cabinet intact!

Stephen.

Thanks Guys. It has lots of warts but it is finished and in the case. I have finally broken the Curse that seems to have plagued me with the Roden SE5a. Now if I ever find the strut I lost from the McCudden Bird I know how to attack the upper wing.
RAGIII