Author Topic: Question on 32042 - Hannover Cl.II  (Read 1269 times)

Offline jknaus

Question on 32042 - Hannover Cl.II
« on: January 25, 2015, 02:13:23 PM »
I just ordered this set and was wondering if you could answer some questions on option 3 9338/17. First off, looking at the serial number and matching it up to the closest s/n in the WNW instructions I think I should be modeling option B. Would you agree? Second what colours are the cam on the fuselage? Thanks in advance for any help you might give.
James

Offline rowan broadbent

Re: Question on 32042 - Hannover Cl.II
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 09:30:10 PM »
Hello James,

In the booklet which accompanies the decals you will find the following:

General Colouring Notes

The subject of Hannover colours continues to resolutely evade simple definition and we are not in any position to add anything other than another layer of speculation and extrapolation to existing ideas – probably not terribly helpful. So, until new information comes to light, there is little that we would want to add to the carefully phrased notes provided by Richard Alexander in the Wingnut Wings kit’s instruction booklet.

For the fuselage camouflage schemes shown in the accompanying artwork, please note that they are all to varying degrees speculative; the drawings in the Wingnut’s booklet better illustrate the appearance of the various possible fuselage finishes and they and your own examination of photos of the original machine should be your guide to the final appearance of your model. If that sounds like a get-out… that’s because it is!!

I've highlighted the last sentence.... As always, WWI colour and camouflage evades simple definition in many if not most cases and the Hannover is a particularly confusing and cloudy subject. Mostly it is not possible to be at all sure about the colours of specific Hannovers but the work that WNW have done in attempting to sort out the question, given the paucity of available information, is probably the best attempt to date.

If I understand your question correctly, then yes, the fuselage scheme shown for Wingnut's option B is the one I was attempting to show for our option 3, BUT I wouldn't swear that it is correct for that machine, it is just one of a number of possibilities! Incidentally, although I have given red and black as alternative colours for the number "2" in the white fuselage diamond, I now believe that, as Schlasta 23b was a Bavarian unit, then blue (to match the fuselage band) would be by far the most likely choice.

That may not help too much, but it's the best I can do, I'm afraid! As always, beware of Greeks* bearing gifts, or WWI colouring experts** quoting certainties.....

Rowan

*Some Greeks, like Costas, do bring us lovely things, of course but I'd seriously avoid any new range of Gaspatch large wooden horses.

** Richard and Harry have thirty plus years of studying the real thing, so you can believe their loz colours..

P.S. Sabine and I are recovering from a nasty bout of Flu (we tend to share most things!), so your order will be dealt with at the earliest opportunity consistent with getting out of bed and staggering to the post office... Tuesday looks more likely than Monday at the moment, so our apologies for the small delay.

Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline jknaus

Re: Question on 32042 - Hannover Cl.II
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 09:49:33 PM »
Thanks Rowan. I hope you and Sabine get well soon, being sick sucks. My wife and I have been under the weather the past couple of weeks also, luckily not with the flue. I'm not in a terrible rush as I'm entering this slowly and getting my ducks all in a row first.
Made note of the number 2.  I am slowly learning that there is a whole lot more to building these WWI birds than my normal genre, but I just needed a starting place. Option B it is so now I can start planning my build.  Still not sure what colours are suggested for the cam though. Looks like RLM 02 and a greyish blue. I'll wait for the decals to order paint I guess.
Anyways thanks very much for the help and get well soon.
James