Author Topic: Breguet Br 5 in RNAS service  (Read 923 times)

Offline lone modeller

Breguet Br 5 in RNAS service
« on: May 21, 2016, 03:22:41 AM »
Evening All

When I am building one model I often start researching another. I am trying  to find information on the radiators used by RNAS Breguet Br 5's: because they had Rolls Royce engines it seems that they had different radiators to the Renault powered machines. However I cannot find any photos of RNAS machines and only one side view drawing which does not give much detail. I also cannot find which serials were given to these machines and where they were located - I suspect on the nacelle as the machine I have in mind had Union Jack flags on the rudder.

If anyone can provide any information, photographs or drawings, which shows the arrangement of the radiators or information on serials, I would be most grateful. These were not particularly successful or popular machines, but they are an interesting subject, not least because they were pushers! (surprise!)

Stephen.

Offline stevehed

Re: Breguet Br 5 in RNAS service
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 04:58:40 AM »
Hi Steve,
              Just noticed this request and have found the following.

http://flyingmachines.ru/Site2/Crafts/Craft25554.htm

There are several RNAS photos with Breguet 5's sporting a Renault, a Rolls Royce and 2x Sunbeam Mohawks. As you say none of the pics are brilliantly clear but I'm going to speculate that the RR version has a radiator similar to the FE2d, the Renault the standard two huge side radiators and the Mowhawk is the hardest to decipher but at a guess I'd say two radiators similar to those used on the Voisins or early Farmans laid horizontally along the top of the rear cowling. There are pipes emanating from the rear into the engine and what appears to my eyes to be a header tank on top of the radiators. Not sure what the coloured side view represents. Looks like a RR Eagle but the green oblong is just a block. Another guess, perhaps a side view of the triangular set up used on the Voisins.

HTH, Regards Steve